L2M with RCR123 and 0.8-4.2V dropin?

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
Hello all :)

I've been lurking around your forums for sometime now so I figured I would register because I d have some questions that I can't seem to find answers to.. First off I did a bunch of research on these forums recently and decided to purchase a L2m with the 1-mode 0.8-4.2 dropin. I am planning on running the body with out the extension so I also got an RCR123 with a charger. Is this a good setup to have?

Also, I want to eventually buy a super bright aftermarket dropin. What are the best and brightest options for me if I want to keep running the L2m without the extension?

LilKevin715

Enlightened
First off :welcome:

What kind of RCR123 cell and charger did you buy? For a single RCR123 setup, depending on the type of cells you have, output will be limited by the battery. Generally speaking (please search CPF for more additional info) the most common type of li-ion battery is Lithium-cobalt which has a max discharge rate of 2C. ("C" means capacity). Lithium Manganese cells (LIMn/IMR) have a much higher discharge rate compared to lithium cobalt cells.

For a lithium cobalt cell setup I wouldn't go past 1.5 amps. You could get a XP-G dropin or a Thrunite XM-L dropin @ 1.5A. For a LiMn cell setup you could get a XM-L dropin @ 2.8 to 3 amps.

I'd highly recommend you do some research on the different types of li-ion cells, performance and limitations, and especially safety. Once you have done your research you will have a better understanding of what can and cant be done with your setup.

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your response!

The battery that I ordered is:
http://www.sbflashlights.com/Batteries-Chargers/Solarforce-Protected-RCR123-p20.html

And the battery charger that I ordered is:
http://www.sbflashlights.com/Batteries-Chargers/Solarforce-RCR123-Charger-p33.html

My main concern right now is that everything I ordered will actually function properly. Will that battery power the 1-mode R2 0.8-4.2V dropin that comes with the solarforce L2M? And will that dropin be able to handle two of those batteries if I wanted to use the extension?

Thank you!! :candle:

TorchME

Newly Enlightened
EDIT: everything arrived and works perfectly.

My one last question is how should I be maintaining my rechargeable cells? can i leave them to charge overnight? Once the light turns green on my charger, is it safe to leave them in there for an extra couple of hours before I take them out? I have the solarforce 123 cells/charger.