Are all Malkoff M61's physically the exact same size?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I already know what the answer is going to be, yes right?. Reason I ask is the gap between the body and bezel of surefire lights vary quite a bit when using malkoff dropin's, I used to have an M61W and it created a very thin gap in my 6P, which was perfectly normal, however, when installed in my G3 the gap was absolutely huge, even when cranked down. I tried to avoid cranking down too hard because the G3's have a very thin tube of metal than runs the length of the tube, and when the dropin is cranked down it's puts alot of pressure on that thin tube of metal, which could possibly either break loose from the body after time or the dropin could just slightly bend the very edge of the thin metal tubing, never had it happen so I don't know the probability, since I swapped the M61W over to my 6P. I tried to warn of the possibility of this in another thread but my advice fell on deaf ears.

Anyway, I was toying with the notion of getting a new M61WLL for my G3 for a long runtime light but then it struck me that more than likely I will still have to deal with the huge gap I did before with the M61W. So I figured I would ask you guys about it even though I have a pretty good idea what you're going to say.

RunningDave

Newly Enlightened
I also have a surefire g3 (nitrolon body alum head) with a m60 mce. There is a much more significant gap with the g3 than with my z2( all alum) Perhaps that's just how it fits.

Maybe gene can make a ring to fit and fill that gap.

Gene43

Enlightened
Just work the dropin down into the belled metal sleeve of the G2/3. This can usually be accomplished just by tightening the head. It might take a little extra effort. All M61's and M31's have the same external dimensions, but there may be a few oddballs from several years back.

RunningDave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Gene! You're absolutely right about tightening it down. Now it sits perfectly , nice and snug too. Thanks for the tip.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure how exact they are. One of my High CRI M61 sits and works nicely in my Surefire M2 without the required ring but another just refused to work until I placed the ring in the bezel. Is this an indication of difference in size?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys for reviving the thread. As I have said in the first post, I try to avoid cranking down on the bezel for the reasons stated.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's exactly why I never cranked drop-ins down, it expands and ruins the metal tubing on the nitrolon lights.

Gene43

Enlightened
I am not sure how exact they are. One of my High CRI M61 sits and works nicely in my Surefire M2 without the required ring but another just refused to work until I placed the ring in the bezel. Is this an indication of difference in size?

The difference is in the length of the shock isolation material in the head.

Gene43

Enlightened
Thanks guys for reviving the thread. As I have said in the first post, I try to avoid cranking down on the bezel for the reasons stated.

The dropin was designed to work in this fashion to insure positive contact. Generally the softer brass will have a few thousandths shaved from the base as it goes down into the belled area of the tube. I have never had a complaint of anyone ruining their light. If the metal tube expands slightly it is only a thousandth or two and will not change the function of the light with the standard P60 LA.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The dropin was designed to work in this fashion to insure positive contact. Generally the softer brass will have a few thousandths shaved from the base as it goes down into the belled area of the tube. I have never had a complaint of anyone ruining their light. If the metal tube expands slightly it is only a thousandth or two and will not change the function of the light with the standard P60 LA.

Gene, does the VME Malkoff Valiant Concepts Head on an E body avoid this gap issue all together? I was under the impression that it does..

It was my plan to purchase one with an M61HCRI and use it on different E-bodies like my Vital Gear FB3.

Last edited:

Gene43

Enlightened
Gene, does the VME Malkoff Valiant Concepts Head on an E body avoid this gap issue all together? I was under the impression that it does..

It was my plan to purchase one with an M61HCRI and use it on different E-bodies like my Vital Gear FB3.

Yes, no gaps with that setup.

shane45_1911

Enlightened
I for one hope not! :p

I for two hope not either. At least not at the expense of the single level drop ins.

I love the simple reliability from the single level drop ins. I have enough other multi-level lights if I need/want more than 1 choice of brightness. The SINGLE REASON I chose Malkoff drop ins in a great many of my SF lights is because of the single mode reliability and the expectation of knowing exactly what you are going to get (and for how long), every single time you turn the light on.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
At times I wished there would be a multiple output drop-in available, but I would take reliability anytime over the need to change output if that is the case.