LF IMR-E2 in teardrop bezel: ok?

notrefined

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the lexan (I think) lens in the teardrop e-series bezel can handle the heat from a lumens factory IMR-E2?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have no idea, and I won't recommend it because I don't know what would happen, however, you would be quite suprised on how much heat one of these lexan lens can take before melting or warping.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The orginal M6 ran an MN21 fine with lexan,

True, didn't the 12PM have a lexan lens as well? And that sucker ran the N62, which was around 500 lumens, and I'm pretty sure it's lens held up. Now that I think of it, I think the first run of 10X dominators had lexan lenses as well, and I know my 10X with pyrex gets extremely hot after extended runs.

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
Like I said, I've not used that particular combination, but I have used high output incandescent bulbs that have ended up melting lexan lenses, so that's why I'm a bit cautious. Then again, the specific lens being used may make a difference - thickness for instance - and it's distance from the lens, the ambient temperature, etc.

notrefined

Enlightened
this is great info guys...my initial inclination was also that it would be a no-go, so it's good to see there might be some hope. otherwise, i'll be forced to buy a FM SS 18650 e-series body to put the bezel on while i use a modern bezel with the Z52 for the IMR-E2. ;) speaking of which, anyone know if an MN01 will hold up to 3.2v (nominally, 3.6v max) from a LiFePO4?.... :devil:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone know if an MN01 will hold up to 3.2v (nominally, 3.6v max) from a LiFePO4?.... :devil:

Ive had MN01 bulbs pop on fresh cr123 cells, I think they wouldnt last a second an anything over 3V, have you tried lumens factory they do an E series LA made for 3.7V I have used them before and have just bought another one, very white light albeit a bit more focused than Surefires MN01, 03

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the lens isn't going to melt under a few seconds use. I would turn on for a couple seconds, turn off the light, check the lens and evalutate how long you might be able to run it, if you can run it.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used one in a teardrop E2 VERY SPARINGLY, but it didn't immediately fry anything. Initially, I was thinking the increased mass of the solid head would be good for it, then I remembered the lexan window and thought about just how close to that bulb it was, and stopped using it.

Still, I've gotten away with five whole seconds of burn time without catastrophe.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not suggested, as the ppl above said
If the environment allows good heatsink(like cold weather,windy etc.)
You might be able to escape from affecting the lens
but if it doesnt allows(like a hot summer)
you will probably deform(melting is not suitable IMO unless it is really over-driven) it
It will be fine as long as water wont boil on the lens
Over 130*C, it will deforms with a force
Over 150*C, something interesting happens
Over 250*C, worst case: melting