Which keychain light(s) and why?

couchpotato013

Newly Enlightened
I've lurked and searched, and found some keychains that I liked. Was shopping for my first edumacated light purchase and bought a Fenix LD15 and MC10, with the E05 being out of stock. Looking more into E05 and keychains, I see people recommending ITP A3, which looks a lot better spec'd than an E05. And to make me more confused, some people carry both, or even more keychain light models on them.

So my question is: Why so many? I understanding that being flashaholics, there will never be one flashlight that will ever do everything you want (that HDS looks interesting though).

And did I make a mistake (therefor the "edumacated" in the first paragraph) buying the LD15? It's small enough for me to be used as a keychain, but for $42 I could've gotten 2 ITPs instead...

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I see it, you can't really ever make a "mistake" buying a light. Either you get something you end up liking, or you learn a lesson about what you don't like, which makes you better equipped for your next light purchase.

There are lots of threads that already discuss this topic of key chain lights. And when I say lots, I mean LOTS. Please see DM51's response in this thread (3rd post) for a list to start with. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?283767-What-is-your-keychain-light

edc3

Enlightened
If the LD15 meets your needs, then no, you didn't make a mistake.

It depends what you're looking for in a keychain light. Do you want something really bright? Something with some throw? A more floody, general use beam? Do you want super long runtime? A lot of flashaholics view their keychain light as a last resort backup. If their regular lights fail or run out of batteries or whatever, your backup is there. In that case, durability and runtime can be extremely important. For some guys their keychain light is their main EDC. In that case, you might want something a little brighter, sacrificing runtime. Battery format is another consideration. AA, AAA, CR2, CR123, rechargeable. Multiple levels is another consideration.

In my case, I carried a Fenix E01 for a long time. They're cheap, durable and have incredible runtime. Their tint and beam pattern leave much to be desired, but in a situation where it's your only light, those factors lose importance. After that my keychain light was a Titanium IlluminaTi. Three levels, very bright and a very nice beam. Unfortunately, mine died recently. I might have bought another IlluminaTi or a 4Sevens Revo, but I don't have that kind of money right now so I went back to an E01 for a while. Then I saw that my local outdoor co-op had the E05 for around $20 so I bought one. So far I'm very happy with it. The thing I like most about it is the floody beam - it is excellent for general use. The downside is that it's a single level that is way too bright for some situations and the runtime is "only" 3 hours. I hope this helps. You'll only know what the right light for you is after some trial and error and if the bug really bites you (and it will) a fair bit of money.

:welcome:

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer a cheapy plastic keychain light - or a US made alternative like a Photon Freedom or something... It won't look like crap after a few months on your keychain, nothing is lighter or smaller, and it puts out adequate light...

tam17

Enlightened
Keychain duty is the harshest imaginable for a flashlight.

My last (ever) keychain flashlight was Streamlight Key-Mate, and it ended up looking like this (scratches on the lens not visible).

Basically all my newer lights are pocketable/keychain EDC's (Fenix E01, LD01, LD15, JetBeam PA01). but my keys never mix with them :whistle:

Cheers,

Tam

WoodMan

Newly Enlightened
I really like my Maratac AAAs in stainless steel for keychain carry. A lot of light from a really small package. The stainless steel is really durable. I actually like the minor extra weight the steel provides in a light this small.

Leif24

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying a Maratac AAA on my keychain for over a year attached with a #1 s-biner, great little light.

archimedes

Flashaholic
What I want in a keychain light is, in order: 1-tough, 2-floody, 3-bright, 4-variable, and then, 5-aesthetics.

I have lots of different keychain lights, but primarily now carry a Peak brass ShastaX with a QTC dropped in under a NiMH N-cell.

Why this light? Well, maybe partly because I haven't heard of anyone else using this particular combo ... J/K :)

1 - Peaks are as tough a light as you can buy. Metal parts, potted electronics, twisty switch - anything it can't survive, I can't either.

2 - My ShastaX puts out a smooth floody beam that evenly lights up everything in short-range. It also happens that the emitter in mine has a perfectly pure white tint (the best tint of any light I own).

3 - Plenty of output for tasks suited to a keychain light on a 1.2v rechargeable N battery. I think that a (higher-voltage, higher-output) Li-Ion 10280 is another option, but haven't really seen the need. With this light, I'm generally looking for a keyhole or something dropped on the ground at my feet, not trying to light up the dark side of the moon.

4 - The QTC makes this light tremendously useful. Dial up the output you want or need. Comes on as low as you want for dark-adapted eyes. Super-efficient QTC allows the tiny capacity of that NiMH N-cell to last for weeks of intermittent use on low.

5 - Although stainless would be tougher, I guess, I just really like brass and the patina it gets with use and wear.

I also carry a couple of button-cell/coin-cell lights, too, since "if two is one, then one is none" :D

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't put any light that you care about on your keys. It'll get all scratched up. I like my little SkyRay S1 AAA light though... I could use that on my keychain because I only paid like $10 for it and it's even tinier than an Arc... That would be my recommendation.. Figure out how to install a QTC into it and you're good to go. I'll give you a hint - remove the bottom spring and replace with a 1.5mm diameter solder blob about the same height, try to trim or file the blob to make it as smooth as possible to avoid damaging your QTC. Now, cut a foam ring and glue it around the solder blob. Make the inside diameter small enough to hold the QTC pill in place by itself. Insert AAA battery, twist for variable output. Have fun!

Shao

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't put any light that you care about on your keys.
Ha, that's the thing I love about this forum, so many different points of view. You see, I have exactly the opposite feelings. I want the light I like the MOST to be on my key ring, because that way it's with me all the time, and I'll get to admire it every time I use my keys. Funny.

And while my key ring light probably gets the least amount of use of all my lights, I still get a great deal of comfort and enjoyment just knowing it's there.

By the way, I completely agree with archimedes and his list of priorities for a key ring light: 1-tough, 2-floody, 3-bright, 4-variable, and then, 5-aesthetics.

Jedgar

Newly Enlightened
itp a1 eos and the a3 eos a3 foe the wife and a1 for me been great i have carried mine every day now for the last 6 months still works and looks good and the wife has carried hers a lot also and I steal it every now and then because its so small. Both work just fine on a keychain or in a pocket and cheap
Josh

dmattaponi

Enlightened
For years I carried a MAG Solitaire on my keys. When I decided to switch to LED I tried a Freedom Photon, which I liked, but it kept coming on in my pocket and running down the batteries. After that happened several times, I gave up on it. Switched to a Fenix E01 which I also like a lot, but recently I switched the E01 for an E05 because the E05 has a so much nicer and generally more useful beam. Everyone who uses my E05 comments on how nice a light it is.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like small lights and I try a lot of them for fun. BUT I still keep the LD01-SS on the keychain. 1. Tough, 2. Good Battery life on Lithium, 3. pretty good throw for a small light, I like that it is actually very useful on a wooded trail or rural area (I live outside of the city), 4. variable, 5. looks great. 6. easy to carry extra AAA cell.

My key chain light is an all rounder, I expected it to do a reasonable job in many different situations; the LD01 has worked the best for me in this regard. It also serves as a backup to my main light. I carry an extra cell for the keychain light, but rarely for my main light.

I also keep a red photon-freedom on my keys for very low light navigation or to view something in the car without affecting my night vision.

I like the E05 as a indoor light or very near field, I think it's good for urban environments and indoors.

I like the Maratac lights, and I would use one of those on the keychain if I'd get off my butt and find a proper clip-ring for it so it would be secure on my keychain. However the LD01 just looks better so I don't need to fuss with the Maratac and it's attachement point is better suited to keychain carry. For the money though I like the Maratac lights and I use them around the house and carry them sometimes as an extra light with their clip. They are a good way to carry an extra cell, but now I have a nice delrin carrier flask and it's the ticket for a carrier.

The Revo SS would be an excellect keychain light for many, except I exclude it because it is L-M-H output sequence; I like M-L-H as I use medium 98% of the time so I just twis it on, dead simple and I want that in my keychain light. Again maybe in urban environment or for someone that generally uses it inside rather than outside.

I'm not sure why I don't keychain carry my Aeon... it really is a fantastic light and the battery life is great, the UI is probably the best for keychain, and it's tough. Not as touch as SS though, so it would eventually show wear. Maybe if I get a Ti one I'll put it on the keychain... don't know if they are still available... I should check... I really want one. I need a delrin CR2 carrier for an extra cell as well, I always have to be able to carry and extra cell for my keychain light, as it is my backup to my main light.

aaronu

Newly Enlightened
I carried an Arc AAA-P for years with no sign of wear. It was a great light.

After I lost it, I purchased a ReVO SS. The ReVo is a good light, and holds up well on a keychain. As I've learned, I have to be careful what else goes in with the ReVo as it will grind against whatever else is in my pocket. So far, the light itself seems immune to scratching.

As an aside: although the ReVo is more versatile, it is not as dead simple to operate as the Arc light, and the Arc's 10.5 lumens was good for all except "tactical" situations. I had wanted to get an Arc Titanium or Sapphire but it wasn't a good time to spend that much $$$... and now the Sapphire seems a bit hard to obtain. Maybe I should have picked up a new Arc AAA-P.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha, that's the thing I love about this forum, so many different points of view. You see, I have exactly the opposite feelings. I want the light I like the MOST to be on my key ring, because that way it's with me all the time, and I'll get to admire it every time I use my keys. Funny.

And while my key ring light probably gets the least amount of use of all my lights, I still get a great deal of comfort and enjoyment just knowing it's there.

By the way, I completely agree with archimedes and his list of priorities for a key ring light: 1-tough, 2-floody, 3-bright, 4-variable, and then, 5-aesthetics.

I don't know why I'm so anal about the condition of my lights. Even the tiniest nick bugs the crap out of me. I've sold perfectly useful and loved lights just because of a scrape or two. I usually only have one or two beaters at a time, and I use them as loaners. Life's too short to use an ugly flashlight! :D

Shao

edit: +1 on Peak lights - I just bought my first, a brass pocket Logan, level 8 wide optic with my own QTC solution... I love it... It's so... brassy...

Last edited:

couchpotato013

Newly Enlightened
What I want in a keychain light is, in order: 1-tough, 2-floody, 3-bright, 4-variable, and then, 5-aesthetics.

Thanks for pointing this out. In your opinion, is titanium worth the upgrade over stainless steel? I read in some other thread that someone manage to scratch their titanium while their SS still looked new...

The only other requirement I have is that it has to use AA or AAA batteries. I'll be getting keychain lights for myself, family, and friends so I'd like to standardize not only on easy to find batteries, but as few models as possible as well.

Semi-related note: I have relatives in Vietnam (power goes out all the time, as well as questionable quality on batteries) that will argue over the smallest differences ("Why does he get that and I get this?"). So it's important that everyone gets the same light, and being keychain it's less likely to get stolen than a D cell maglite (which have been stolen or gone missing). So my goal with these is to be the main EDC light. Environments range from inside the house, to out at night in the farm/fields.

I've noticed that a lot of websites say "This product can only be shipped to the US" even though I THINK the sites ship internationally as well. Would there be an issue with me carrying these outside the country, like export laws?

I like small lights and I try a lot of them for fun. BUT I still keep the LD01-SS on the keychain. 1. Tough, 2. Good Battery life on Lithium, 3. pretty good throw for a small light, I like that it is actually very useful on a wooded trail or rural area (I live outside of the city), 4. variable, 5. looks great. 6. easy to carry extra AAA cell.

My key chain light is an all rounder, I expected it to do a reasonable job in many different situations; the LD01 has worked the best for me in this regard. It also serves as a backup to my main light. I carry an extra cell for the keychain light, but rarely for my main light.

I also keep a red photon-freedom on my keys for very low light navigation or to view something in the car without affecting my night vision.

I like the E05 as a indoor light or very near field, I think it's good for urban environments and indoors.

I like the Maratac lights, and I would use one of those on the keychain if I'd get off my butt and find a proper clip-ring for it so it would be secure on my keychain. However the LD01 just looks better so I don't need to fuss with the Maratac and it's attachement point is better suited to keychain carry. For the money though I like the Maratac lights and I use them around the house and carry them sometimes as an extra light with their clip. They are a good way to carry an extra cell, but now I have a nice delrin carrier flask and it's the ticket for a carrier.

The Revo SS would be an excellect keychain light for many, except I exclude it because it is L-M-H output sequence; I like M-L-H as I use medium 98% of the time so I just twis it on, dead simple and I want that in my keychain light. Again maybe in urban environment or for someone that generally uses it inside rather than outside.

I'm not sure why I don't keychain carry my Aeon... it really is a fantastic light and the battery life is great, the UI is probably the best for keychain, and it's tough. Not as touch as SS though, so it would eventually show wear. Maybe if I get a Ti one I'll put it on the keychain... don't know if they are still available... I should check... I really want one. I need a delrin CR2 carrier for an extra cell as well, I always have to be able to carry and extra cell for my keychain light, as it is my backup to my main light.

Thanks Standard for your experiences.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I've lurked and searched, and found some keychains that I liked. Was shopping for my first edumacated light purchase and bought a Fenix LD15 and MC10, with the E05 being out of stock. Looking more into E05 and keychains, I see people recommending ITP A3, which looks a lot better spec'd than an E05. And to make me more confused, some people carry both, or even more keychain light models on them.

Nothing wrong there, Fenix makes great lights. I have several and use them all the time. I have had an A3 on my keychain for 2-3 years. Its been very durable and reliable as a key-hole finder with an eneloop AAA.

So my question is: Why so many? I understanding that being flashaholics, there will never be one flashlight that will ever do everything you want (that HDS looks interesting though).
That one I am not sure on... one key-ring EDC is good enough for me. OK, well I have 2 actually the ITP and an old Fenix E0 Dart (the E01 predecessor). But I dont EDC them on my keys at the same time.

And did I make a mistake (therefor the "edumacated" in the first paragraph) buying the LD15? It's small enough for me to be used as a keychain, but for $42 I could've gotten 2 ITPs instead...

The LD15 is a better light on several levels:
-120 Lumens versus 80
-It should in theory be more efficient as it uses a brighter flux XPG emitter. So it will emit more lumens per unit watt consumed... BUT that all depends on how hard the XPG in the LD15 is driven compared to the XPE in the ITP. LED efficiency decreases dramatically depending on the drive current and thermal design of the host.
-AA is a better power source than AAA... better capacity, higher drive current ceiling, better availability

Is the LD15 worth the added $$$?. Personally as a light YES I think its worth the added expense. practically however... as a slightly larger keyhole finder it may not be.

Last edited:

brembo

Enlightened
I have issues with anything heavy on my keyring. It makes the stuff slap around when I'm driving (my road is a bit on the rough side, 4x4 is needed in rainy weather or super dry weather). I'll find myself looking at eGear's Pico or a CR2 light and then remember how I detest the keys banging around the steering column. So I default to the squeeze lights Lighthound and Battery Junction toss into their packages. Besides, I ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS have an AA or single 18650 light in my pocket. Just today while lounging in the pool I had the urge to get out and put on shorts that had pockets just so I'd have my light with me. I need to research a lanyard light......

brandocommando

Enlightened
Fenix LD01 SS, AAA powered, XP-G R5, L-M-H, (3, 28, 77, Lumens,) digitally regulated output.
I chose it because they are currently on sale for a good price. It is stainless steel so it will not dent easily, and there is no annodizing to scratch off.
It should hold up to keychain abuse well.

Last edited: