Streamlight ProTac EMS quick review

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally received my SL ProTac EMS about a week and a half ago, and have been busy getting familiar with it. So far, I really like it and consider it money well spent. I bought it to replace my Microstream (which is currently hiding from me somewhere around here). I selected it instead of another Microstream because I was interested in the tri-level output, and especially what those levels are. They are ~4 lm, 10 lm, and 50lm, in that order. I especially like the in that order, since as an EDC, I don't usually need all 50 lumens initially. It took me about two minutes to get used to the UI. First on, either momentary or click, is the low ~4 lm level. This actually works great for most of the times I have been using it so far. Second level is 10 lm, reached by two MOMENTARY taps before holding or clicking on. Great next step up. Finally is the 50 lm high level, reached by three MOMENTARY taps.

Next, the beam. There is a very nice smallish hot spot, surrounded by a spill area several times larger in diameter. The spill has about three distinct bands of brightness that are very close together in output, but noticeable. There are no artifacts visible, and the color is a very pleasing neutral to just slightly warm white. When used close up - like under a foot - the bands in the spill are almost invisible. Since this is the range the light is designed for, the bands are not really an issue as far as I am concerned. What really surprised me as the amount of throw the two lower levels produce. That 4 lumens does a real good job of illuminating things 20 or more feet away. As an example, I was waiting for son outside of his work one night, and had gotten out of the car to stretch and walk around. Being the flashaholic that I am, I got out my new EDC and started playing with it. Picture this environment - city street with nose-in parking on both side. I am next to the sidewalk on one side. On the other is a large steel-sided building with a side people door. I am guessing that the distance involved was on the order of 50 ft or so. At that distance, with the typical urban light pollution, I was barely able to make out the hot spot when using the low level. When I switched to higher levels, I could see that the diameter of the hot spot was about the height of the people door, or about 7 ft. The spill area was about three times that size, but still visible. That is a lot of range for what is basically designed to be a close-in floody light!

I am still using the Energizer alkaline AA that came with the light. Whenever that dies or I run out of patience I will pop in one of my Energizer Ultimate Lithiums and see what difference that makes, if any. I also have some rechargeable AAs around here somewhere (they may be hiding with the Microstream :D) that I may try for a while as well.

The light is very well built. There is a single O-ring on the tail cap. It tries to tail-stand, but the rubber cover on the rear clicky protrudes just a little too far to be successful. The reflector is very deep and narrow, with an extremely shiny surface. The included clip is a two-way, with a small loop for the attachment of a keyring or laynard. I haven't done much with the clip so will say no more about it.

Today I EDCed it in my scrubs with the very small front pocket, and didn't even really notice that it was there. So even if it is about half again larger than my beloved Microstream, it still works well as a loose-in-pocket EDC. Next week I will probably try it clipped into one of the thigh pockets to see how that works.

I may try for some beam shots, but I will have to find someplace with less light pollution, since I have at least five night fixtures withing viewing distance of my unit. The night is never truly dark around here unless the power is off, which very rarely happens. :cool: I am also going to show it to a couple of the nurses where I work to get there opinions - I may even loan it out for a night or two! More later.

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thanks: Thank you for the brief review, Timothybil. Glad this new Streamlight is now available.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your review. I've been debating ordering one and this might just push me to do it. :)

Out of curiosity, have you been using it for patient assessments? If so, how has it worked out?

Last edited:

TomH

Newly Enlightened
+3 Thanks for the review. Been looking at this as an addition to my PT 1AA. I like the fact that this one doesn't have strobe, which I don't use all that much anyway.

DaveG

Enlightened
Thanks for the info,I like the low-med-high in that order.Looks like a good night fishing light,not too bright at the start to kill your dark adjusted eyes.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your review. I've been debating ordering one and this might just push me to do it. :)

Out of curiosity, have you been using it for patient assessments? If so, how has it worked out?

Actually, I work in the food service part of a nursing home. That is why I have access to several nurses that I am thinking about letting try the EMS just so I can get the answer to your question. I will post further when/if I find out.

yowzer

Enlightened
Hmm. 4 lumens is a lot to shine in somebody's eye; I prefer under 1 for checking pupil reaction. I'm probably going to get one sometime anyways, but not for use in patient exams. At least, not the eye part.

What LED is in it?

KLowD9x

Banned
Is there an optic obscuring your view of the LED? Should be able to just look at it to see, if it's any of the major power leds.

I'm sure it's a Cree XR-E. That's what is in all of the Streamlight ProTac series of lights I have had.