Tireflys: LED Lights for your wheels

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran across these neat little lights that screw on to tire stems. Apparently, when the wheel spins the centrifugal force overcomes a spring and the circuit is completed.

Tireflys

I think I'll have to get some for my 5 year old's bicycle, not to mention my own ride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BC

Catapult

Enlightened
Interesting. I can't quite make out what type of batteries they use. LR44's?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
They look like LR44 cells, but I'm not 100% certain.
I can't use Tireflys on my Rascal because the wheels turn too slow and the valve stems stick straight out (instead of being more or less vertical), so somebody with a bicycle, motorcycle, car, truck, or RV would have to check them out.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
These things are very nice--have a red pair on my motorcycle right now. Haven't had the need to open them up to change batts yet though.

-Jason

Kristofg

Enlightened
I've got a pair on my mountainbike, but they don't light up the entire time when I'm riding the bike, most of the time they just light up when I go over rough terrain or bumps. They aren't very sturdy though and I've had to put some transparent tape around them to keep them from falling apart. Then again, my bike does get a beating off road so I guess they have been hit by flying debris a few times. Using them on a downtown bike or a car will be better for them. The batteries are LR44 if I remember correctly.

Tomas

Banned
Definately need fancy lights on your wheels ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

These are the 4 inch (100mm) wheels on the front suspension of my 'chair.

flashy2.jpg

There's a tiny rare-earth-magnet generator (and ABEC5 bearings) in the hub of each, and some electronics to flash the LEDs in a pattern as the wheels turn. Even just barely moving the 'chair will get 'em going.

T_sig6.gif

Hemingray

Enlightened
I've seen "Razor scooter" wheels with built in LEDs and generators, similar to those. Pretty wild looking.

I woud guess that TireFlies wouldn't hold up too well in the colder parts of the country, all that snow slush and ice, not to mention gargantuan potholes, would do them in rather quickly.

/ed B in the almost frozen state of NH

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
Definately need fancy lights on your wheels ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

These are the 4 inch (100mm) wheels on the front suspension of my 'chair.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've got 10" wheels on my chair, so they'll rotate much more slowly than 4" ones will. Your "tireflies" look really nifty - everyone in the neighborhood must know you're a flashaholic. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
Apparently, when the wheel spins the centrifugal force overcomes a spring and the circuit is completed.

Tireflys

[/ QUOTE ]

I was mistaken on this. I just picked up a pair at Walgreens and you just tap them and they start blinking. They turn off after a 3 or 4 seconds if you don't keep moving them. Actually, they just turned off and I was moving them. I have no idea what I am talking about or how these work.

I'm putting them in the mail to my 5 year old, maybe he can figure out how they work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

BC