On the subject of Mountain Bikes..

K A

Enlightened
I didnt want to highjack the other thread so I started a new one.

I decided to get out my bike and dust it off since it's a nice day. I have a 26" GT Outpost Trail that I purchased at least 6-7yrs ago. While getting it cleaned up this morning I noticed something which looked like it should not be there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

mybike2.jpg

The yellow arrows are pointing at what I noticed. I just happened to look down and saw those two areas on the middle gear. I take it those are not good. I weigh ~220lbs so I can assume that I put a little too much weight down on the peddle at one (or two) points in time.

Would I be better off purchasing a new bike or purchasing new gears? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif It does have all Shimano shifters, brakes, etc.

Here is a picture of the bike itself.

Darkcobra

Enlightened
The bike looks great!
The only concern that comes to mind is that your bike is probably an 8 speed? Most gears or cranksets are now made for 9 speeds using thinner chains... Take it to your local bike shop and I'm pretty sure they can set you up... Either with a repair or a new bike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif. If you like the bike though, fix it and keep it. I was 210 pounds when I rode my Outpost Trail a lot and the bike never had a problem. But I did upgrade the crankset with Shimano XT's when there was a sale at a local bike outlet. If I can find my old crankset, I'll let you know... I'm almost certain that I tossed them out though. . . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

K A

Enlightened
Its an 18 speed. It has 3 gears on the peddle and 6 on the rear wheel. I rode it around a bit this afternoon.. maybe not more than 1-1.5miles total. Just a quick ride over to a small strip mall they are tearing down. There's a Wal-mart there that bought it and they are going to make the Wal-Mart into a Supercenter. I took a few pictures of the demolition.

Man I forgot what it feel like to ride. Butt hurt and knees felt like jelly after that short ride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

Darkcobra

Enlightened
That first ride is always a butt killer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif.
Remember to use your seat bones /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif