One scenario where Krypton is brighter than Xenon (Mini Maglites)

ericjohn

Enlightened
Does anyone notice that a Mini Maglite installed with a Krypton lamp is actually brighter than the same flashlight installed with a Xenon lamp.

I gave my little sister a pink Mini Maglite (with Krypton Lamp) some time ago (November 2009), then in May of 2010, I bought a Black Mini Maglite (factory installed with a Xenon Lamp). I find my sister's is brighter, and My first Mini Maglite (bought in December of 2005, and factory installed with a Xenon lamp) are much brighter than my latest one.

Now all Mini Maglites sold in stores come with Xenon lamps and all replacement bulbs sold in stores are Xenon.

In theory Xenon is brighter than Krypton, given the same type of batteries and same type of flashlight.

Something screwy going on here. Does anyone else notice this?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
This most likely had to do with the condition of the batteries. One set of batteries must of had been fresher. The new xenon lamps are most definitely brighter and whiter than the krypton lamps, I have compared them many times, and xenon is always brighter and whiter.

Another factor could be either resistance from dirty contacts or one lamp having more burn time than the other. Mini mag lamps do darken with age so that could have had the effect of the krypton appearing brighter because the xenon had more burn time thus black deposits on the glass envelope. The bulbs don't put out the same amount of light after being used for a while, so fresh bulbs are always brightest.

Last edited:

ericjohn

Enlightened
Actually what was happening was that in my first Mini Maglite I ditched the two Duracells and instead used either 2 NIMH Energizer 2.5 amp or two energizer ultimate lithiums. This was able to over drive the krypton lamp, something that would kill a xenon lamp. I think I figured it out but just did not realize it when typing this post.

I also noticed that in the smaller Mini Maglites, which are vacuum bulbs, they dim out really quick. If you use the krypton or xenon lamp in that particular model, the contacts will be shorted out and damaged. This model has been around for 24 years (as old as me), and should really undergo some design changes, then it could be an excellent light for physicians nurses and emt personell.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Not sure how relevant this, but I have seen kind of the same thing when comparing another members 5D-Krypton with my 6D-Xenon (PR lamps). In both lights we were using 2C mags as hosts and 2x18650 cells with removed tailcap springs. His Krypton lamp was whiter in tint, and slightly brighter. It could just be the result of him driving his lamp harder though... 5D versus 6D at the same voltage. So It was just an observation of 2 different applications. I dont think it should be seen as a generalized truth in regards to Krypton -vs- Xenon.

This was ~3 years ago so my memory could be fading.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are always variables like battery life and lamp usage, however, in my own experience, comparing many different models of maglite krypton vs xenon, the xenon lamps, not matter what sized light you're comparing, are always brighter and whiter.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually what was happening was that in my first Mini Maglite I ditched the two Duracells and instead used either 2 NIMH Energizer 2.5 amp or two energizer ultimate lithiums. This was able to over drive the krypton lamp, something that would kill a xenon lamp. I think I figured it out but just did not realize it when typing this post.

I also noticed that in the smaller Mini Maglites, which are vacuum bulbs, they dim out really quick. If you use the krypton or xenon lamp in that particular model, the contacts will be shorted out and damaged. This model has been around for 24 years (as old as me), and should really undergo some design changes, then it could be an excellent light for physicians nurses and emt personell.

2 NIMH most certainly won't kill the 2aa xenon lamp, I run that setup all the time, and I'm pretty sure that the lamp will hold up fine with energizer lithiums as well, although the lamps lifespan will be reduced somewhat.

As far as design changes, theirs nothing more mag can do with the 2AA incan. It's an obsolete light, and is as good as it needs to be considering the price, how old it is, and intended usage. No one has any intrest in these lights anymore, not with mags own led development in full gear and advancing everyday. What kind of company would spend R&D on improving a 24 or so year old 2AA incandescent flashlight?

AaronG

Enlightened
As far as design changes, theirs nothing more mag can do with the 2AA incan. It's an obsolete light, and is as good as it needs to be considering the price, how old it is, and intended usage. No one has any intrest in these lights anymore, not with mags own led development in full gear and advancing everyday. What kind of company would spend R&D on improving a 24 or so year old 2AA incandescent flashlight?

Ouch! I personally wouldn't spend money on a low output light with an appetite for batteries and an irregular beam pattern, but to each there own :D

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch! I personally wouldn't spend money on a low output light with an appetite for batteries and an irregular beam pattern, but to each there own :D

Yeah I'm a real big incandescent guy but for someone to suggest that mag needs to go back and spend time and money attempting to improve on an obselete 2AA incandescent flashlight is a little too much.