Think I FRIED my KX2 head... what can I do with it?

dixie460

Newly Enlightened
Looks like I fried my KX2 head. It went for a swim, as it has several times throughout it's life with me, but apparently today it had some water get into it, and it seems to have cause the driver board to go **** up. The emitter seems to be alright, it flickers when the switch is pressed, just never comes up to full low or high power. Screwed an LX2 head on the E2L body, it lit full brightness as it should, although with a bit of flickering until the tailcap was fully clicked on... dunno what that's about, but it seems insignificant.

So... what can I do with a dead KX2 head? Can't send it back to SF, I voided my warranty on it already by having previously attempted to crack it open and only succeeding in accessing the driver board, never got to the optic. Yes, I put the gasket back in, but maybe that's how water got in.

Can Milkyspit do mods on a KX2? I Or perhaps I buy a replacement driver board somewhere? If neither of those things, I'll just use it as a learning tool to figure out how to get the damn thing to come apart!! Seems to be some sort of clear threadlocker on it or something.

EDIT: damn, I've only got 3 posts here!? Coulda swore I had posted on here a few times before, but oh well. Anyhow, I wanted to ask where is a good place to buy driver boards and LED's? I'm readin some threads on how to get this KX2 apart, looks like I'll need some heat and patience lol. But I'm stubborn, it WILL come apart! So, where to get parts for it...??

Thanks
Andy

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, have you tried obvious things like changing the batteries, cleaning all contact points.

If you do suspect water has intruded the worst thing you can do is to keep using it in its wet condition, I would try drying it out first, give it a few days in a bowl of rice sitting on a window cill in the sun then try again with new cells and clean thread, contacts etc

EDIT, I have just re-read your post and was wondering all the time how water got in but now its obvious, you have broken the seal between the head and driver which is loctite sealed, this has def void your warrenty and im 90% sure that this has caused the leak

Last edited:

dixie460

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I'm lettin the driver board set in front of a nice breeze, courtesy of my fan. I know better than to try and use wet electronics lol, I tried to use it but quit as soon as I noticed it flickering, and thought "aw damn, I think it's wet. Better try a different head to make sure..." Batteries are fine, running SF 123 primaries and they lit the LX2 head up on the E2L body, so the switch, batteries and contacts are all good. It might dry out and work again, I dunno. I revived a cell phone that went swimming with me once, just put some paper towels down in a fryin pan and left the disassembled phone in there for several hours on the lowest heat settin. It lived, all I had to do was buy a new battery pack. This board might live too, but if not, it's mod time! :)

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a brand new set of batteries, especially if they were the ones that were dunked irrelevant if they work in your lx2 head, why do you think you had to buy a new cell phone battery after it got wet...

Norm

Retired Administrator
You're far better off to put the head in a bag with uncooked rice than use any heat, let it sit for several days.
Norm

Last edited:

dixie460

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I gotta go by the store anyway so I'll get some uncooked rice and try it out. As far as the batteries, they didn't get all that wet... had maybe a couple raindrop's worth of water in the battery tube but I'll try a new set as suggested. :thumbsup:

Thanks again!