Backpack carry flashlight recommendations?

Routa

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I am looking forward to buying a light to carry with me in my school backpack.
I already have an iTP A3 EOS Upgraded version & am planning to purchase myself a Zebralight SC51w when possible. I intend to carry both of these in my pocket, iTP on keychain and Zebra in pocket.

Now I'm looking for a brighter and a slightly bigger than pocket carry sized LED light to put in my backpack.

My budget floats between 50$ and 100$, but I have to be really convinced to spend more than that. Also, PayPal is the only way for me to pay.

I prefer to use AA size batteries, since they are most commonly available here in Finland. 18650's are also an option since I can get them from DX. (I need good recommendations for 18650's and chargers for them from DX, too)
EDIT: CR123A's are available here, lights with those are also considerable!

I think somewhere between 150-300 lumens would be appropriate for a light for this purpose, since the iTP and Zebra cover the lumens below.

Intended purpose for this light is when there is a blackout and no lights in an urban area, so 30-70 meters throw would be ideal.

Runtime doesn't really matter, just that it should be over an hour. Parasitical drain is something I'm more concerned about.

Switch should be forward clicky.

The light should have 1-3 modes, or like the Zebra which has secondary modes for everything. No need for strobe/beacon.

Aluminum will do for the body, unless there are Ti lights in that price range.

I want your opinions. Would the SC51w be proper for this purpose? Do I really need another light with a slight chance of ever being used?

Last edited:

Per Arne

Enlightened
Quark Turbo AAx2 useing the "flat" tailcap for tailstanding....
Quark Tactical AAx2 or just the single Quark Tactical AA with Fenix camping lampshade during blackout....

and welcome to the forum ! :party: :)

PA

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
If not for the aluminum body, I'd have suggested the LD40 for pack carry - the low and medium levels are good, it uses 4xAA, and it doesn't have any parasitical drain I've noticed. The Quark AA2 is even more compact, though. Great runtime on moonlight mode, especially if your eyes have adapted to low-light.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
For 2AA I am really happy with the fenix LD25, neutral tint and great beam shape/quality. Moderate throw and moderate flood too, good all around beam. Its about 200 Lumens on HI and 65L on MED and 5L on LO. It looses LO mode with 1.5 Volt cells (alkaline or Lithium) so it works best with NiMH. Its a bezel twist mode selector though, which for me is OK.

I've been pack carrying lights for as long as I can remember (long before CPF) and the ONE feature I look for now is a lockout tailcap. Its a deal breaker in my book, especially with forward click switches. I can't tell you how many times I have accidentally drained batteries from accidental turn-ons in my pack. do a forum search for LOTC. A lot of lights have this feature but the manufacturers dont advertise it.

There are a lot of great 18650 lights I have used/demo'd, that would make great pack carry lights but I can't recall if they have a LOTC and I am hesitant to recommend them openly for this use. Malkoff MD2 and solarforce L2 come to mind immediately. My fave 18650 pack carry light is an 18650 bored SF-6P with the Z41 LOTC. Over-ready sells this host, and if you shop carefully you should be able to find a budget drop in right around $100 total.

For 18650 cells, stick with AW. He uses panasonic CGR cells (AFIAK), they hold a ~4.18V charge for several MONTHS at least. Great cells IMHO.

I'll let others recommend a charger. I use an old WF-139 (green blinking) and its been great, terminating at 4.18 every time... but the track record of these is spotty at best, and I can't openly recommend one to anyone.

Last edited:

JNieporte

Enlightened
Fenix E21 or EagleTac P100A2. Both run on 2 AA (alkaline, NiMH, or Energizer lithiums). Both have a forward clicky. Both put out a nice hotspot that throws for a while. They both have the same interface (keep the heasd tight for high, loosen the head slightly for low). Output is very close in both lights, but I've noticed that the P100A2's modes are spaced farher apart. No parasitic drain in either. Both are around $35 (US dollars). Both are available at Amazon, which will ship to you in Finland.

Hamaremon

Newly Enlightened
Hello! I always like to carry a slightly larger light with more punch in my backpack.
I pocket-carry a SC51W as well, and my backpack light of choice at the moment is
the Zebralight SC600 (however it is a reverse clicky, like the SC51W)

It is compact, but a little heavy which makes it more suitable for backpack carry than pocket carry.
500 lumens on high after 5 mins burst of 750 lumens, and can run for about 2 hours in this mode
on a single AW18650 (this might be more light than you need, however).
Also goes as low as 0.1 lumens for up to 80 days, with several brightness stages in between
that might be valuable if the blackout persists.

The beam is more floody than throwy, but since the light output is very high, you can definately illuminate
objects at 70+ yards.

Body is aluminum and you should be able to find one new for just under $100 USD.

Might be worth consideration.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Routa

Newly Enlightened
Thank you kindly for your responses!

I have been thinking about the SC600 too, but I would much more like to buy the SC600w version, when it comes out.

Quark AA2 is also a strong contender, can someone just elaborate the differences between the Regular and the Tactical version? I know you can program the modes, but how much does that really matter in use?

Routa

Newly Enlightened
Now, having made some research around the markets, I have found some CR123A's available here, so lights that use those can be added to consideration too.