Fenix E21

kj2

Flashaholic
I was thinking about ordering an E21, but wanted to find out if anyone has any comments about it first...it seems pretty impressive and simple to use (good as a power outage light for the family if I'm out of town). Thank you.
I've a E21. Very happy with it :) gives enough light for in-and around the house. Uses simple AA batteries, and has good runtime- specially on the low mode.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
-Tested in the BC sphere mine did ~200L on HI with Eneloops
-Tight spot beam for such a small reflector
-TIGHT O-rings, shallow water submersible
-Bezel Twist between 65 and 200 Lumens (so it doesn't really have a LO mode)
-Forward clicky
-Lock out tailcap
-Very good thread quality / machining
-Very good type III anodize quality
-Nicely knurled grip surfaces
-UCL Coated lens
-MED mode remains in-tact with higher V cell chemistries

Current draw numbers with 2x ROV 4.0 NIMH cells (2000mah, LSD):
-1.20A
.25A

My only real complaint is that it doesn't have anti-roll features.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't have the e21 but I like my e20 and the e21 is brighter.

Richub

Enlightened
I own 2 E21s (neutral and cool white), and they are simple, robust and bright, perfect for general use.

The low is enough for 80% of the tasks you'll need it for, and it runs for 10+ hours on low, even on Alkalines.

Just get a couple of Eneloops to feed it, and it'll be a perfect light for keeping around the house.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Thank you all for your comments! One more question - I'm planning on using alkalines in it...is that a problem?

I would suggest use rechargeable LSD AAs like eneloops as this is more reliable especially if the light will not be used regularly and will be stored for emergency purposes. I have several lights before that was destroyed by leaking Alkaline batteries.
If you want non rechargeable I would suggest get the energizer lithium AAs, they last a lot longer than alkalines and can be stored for more than 10 years without loosing capacity.

Last edited:

samgab

Flashlight Enthusiast
I concur with what Ian2381 said. Over time, alkaline batteries are prone to leaking potassium hydroxide, which you don't want to happen inside your E21, and also if there is a power outage and you're away, you want to be sure it will work for your family.
So as mentioned Lithium primaries are good, or otherwise eneloops or similar LSD cells, and just check and charge cycle say once a year or 6 Months (or less if you like).

Flashlight Dave

Enlightened
I have both the E20 and the E21 and am fond of them both. I like the feel of the E21 over the E20 due to the thickness of the body. It is well built and has Fenix's new square threads. Over all it is great. Only complaint is the beam could be better.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Dont use alkalines in any light you intend to keep. You never know when those things will leak.

Eneloops or E2 Lithium work best in this application.

mattevt

Newly Enlightened
The E21 was my second flashlight. I bought another for my fiancee as well. I run mine off eneloop's and hers off lithium primaries because she doesn't use it as much. It's still one of my favorite lights. It has a great throw for its size and it only has two modes. No click through, twist 3 times etc. IMHO it is the best LED light for the price.

JNieporte

Enlightened
The E21 is the best $50 light you'll pay $35 for. Load it with Energizer Ultimate Lithiums and it will run after you've forgotten you even had it.

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Hi mate. I used to have an E21 and sold it to my dad last week :) Trying to get save some bucks for a better light. From my personal point of view, the E21 is a GREAT light. I tended to use it OFTEN to power outages (cool white). Since it cannot tail stand, I put it in a mug to get a ceiling bounce.
The runtime is great. I tested it on MEGA CHEAP batteries from China ($1.5 buys me 24 cells :D ) It would not power the torch at 150 lumens for more than 5-7 minutes but the torch kept going for like 1.5 hours on those crappy cells at 48 lumens...
Also, I bought a bike lightholder on ebay for $2.5 which was of good quality. Used the torch as my bike light too. The throw is good and the spill nice also.

1011Tristar

Newly Enlightened
Buffalo, NY & Franklin, MA (Boston 'burb)
Thank you all for your responses. Are alkalines prone to leaking like they are in other things that use AAs, or are they more prone to leaking in the E21 because of a high draw? For what it's worth, I will use the light for things other than power outages, so it wont just sit in a drawer for 6 months at a time. Also, I use alkalines in my Fenix LT1, and haven't had an issue with them. Again, thanks for all the help.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Quark AA^2s because they have the super low modes that I use the most. As far as batteries... Eneloops are amazing cells that provide guilt free lumens. Alkalines can leak, have a bad shelf life, voltage sag, etc.

cplusplus

Newly Enlightened
I have the E21 one of the best budget flashlights available. Don't get the cool-white model get the neutral it penetrates dust better and neutral is nearly the same of sunlight at 11 AM good color rendering for your eyes. If the switch stops working all you have to do is tighten it it seems to be a problem on Fenix E21 but a little tightening won't hurt. I had that problem once.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the E21 one of the best budget flashlights available. Don't get the cool-white model get the neutral it penetrates dust better and neutral is nearly the same of sunlight at 11 AM good color rendering for your eyes. If the switch stops working all you have to do is tighten it it seems to be a problem on Fenix E21 but a little tightening won't hurt. I had that problem once.

Good suggestion. Do you know where to get a neutral E21? Been looking for it for months to give a friend. The only place I can find one is in Fleabay and the seller wants to charge me $40 for shipping! Doesn't make sense paying shipping that actually costs more than the light.

Stevie

Newly Enlightened
I bought one for my Dad last Christmas. The packaging is 'wrapped' so I couldn't open it for a sneak look and play. On Christmas morning I must have asked my Dad more than once 'aren't you going to open it up and have a go, I'll show you how it works'!
Eventually he opened it and after I'd shown him the simple UI, and explained the run times, I found myself alone with it outside. :devil:

It is fantastic value for money. The machining is same Fenix quality as found on their higher priced lights. The run times are good. It takes in-expensive batteries. The reflector is combined with a slightly frosted lense and some sort of optic if I remember rightly, this gives quite a nice beam with plenty of flood (though not enough to render it a flood light) and enough throw to enable one to see quite far out in front. Think PT EOS 70 beam but brighter and slightly narrower, that's how I would describe it.

A great light that one can keep for emergencies, power outages and occassional use and best of all it won't break the bank.

IcantC

Enlightened
Would you guys recommend this for a glovebox light left loaded with energizer lithiums?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Would you guys recommend this for a glovebox light left loaded with energizer lithiums?

I wouldn't recommend to leave any light or cell chemistry loaded in those conditions... maybe if you lived in a very moderate climate. But if I had to choose one cell chemistry to survive those conditions, this one would be it.