Maglite vented switch Mod

moderator007

Enlightened
Well, i ask about a maglite vented tail cap here. Never did find out what the maglite add was referring to.
So i came up with my own vent for li-ion use in maglites. This should let the rubber switch cap blow off and vent with out building pressure in the mag. While still being somewhat water proof. Hopefully somewhat safer.
The small channel is around 1/8 wide and deep.
This is a side view. Modified with a dremel tool with a cutt off wheel.
switch1.jpg

Top view
switchtop.jpg

Bottom view
switchbottom.jpg

Tkklemann

Newly Enlightened
Just as another idea:

I drilled a hole in the tailcap of one of my maglights 1/4" in diameter, and filled it with an automotive interior style push rivit. It looks visually appealing too, the only issue is you can't tail stand the Mag anymore.

I also at a later date, ripped it out and put a new one in, only to apply some RTV sealant to it to make it a little more "weather proof".

Any pressure that builds up will pop that rivit out or at least melt it, then cause it to expose the 1/4" vent hole. It might turn the Mag into a little rocket like that, but at least it isnt a pipe bomb..

Just another alternative idea for venting...

soraxd

Newly Enlightened
awesome idea! i could really use something like this in my build im working on

sidenote, if your camera doesnt have a macros setting, bringing your camera further away from the target, and then zooming in will create a clear detailed shot

moderator007

Enlightened
Soraxd, i must admit i am not very good with the camera. I tried to get close enough to see the detail but it blurs a little.
I did have it set on the macro as you can see the granite couter top very clear. I was just a tad to close. I find that if i use a magnifying glass in front of the lens it takes a little better pics close up. The camera is a older sony camera with limited settings.
Thanks for the tips.

brisco

Newly Enlightened
Have you ever seen a mag blow up? I think this is a non issue.

Light Bringer

Newly Enlightened
If anything, the pressure buildup would likely blow out the front glass (weakest link), but personally, I'd rather have the pushbutton act like a relief valve than have a Li cell go supernova and blow a rocket of hot glass shards into my foot.

Umm, I imagine he's talking Li cells. Worst I ever did to NiCd/NiMH cells is to have them sizzle and vent. Stunk like vinegar. :p