Flashlight recommentdation

zosocpf

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Less than $100.

3) Format:

I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Keychain size.
Every day carry small (2-4 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

sinlge aa, that can also be rechargeable

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want multi mode, and with moon light.

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

1-15 yards

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

because i prefer a multi mode, max could be around an hour-2, moonlight 15days up

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

very important

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

twisty switch

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

multiple levels, i am also open to progammable levels

14)Material/Finish/Coating

anodize aluminum/steel

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

can attach a key ring.

I already have a cmg infinity and a quark mini aa

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'll suggest you treat yourself to a Zebralight SC51. Not a twisty, however. It could attach to a keyring, awkwardly, but do you really want that much weight on a keychain?

Geoff

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure there is a AA light better suited to your needs than the Mini AA you already have.The Quark 1XAA would provide you with a moonlight mode but at 3.75" I am not sure that you would want it attached to a keychain though it could be done.The 1XAA is also a clicky so that may be another deal killer.If you can go with a different battery size,CR123,CR2 or AAA you would have more choices.

Ian2381

Enlightened
Only the Quark AA and Zebralights SC51/50 have moonlight that I know and they're both clickies.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the Thrunite Neutron 1A - it fits all of the OP's criteria except for the twist switch.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
A key ring specific flashlight is the Maratac AAA which is a twisty and is available in several different materials: My Cu. (polished copper) version is brilliant as is the recently released AA electro. polished SS 'light. The UI is Low > Med > High though the low is an advertised 1.5 lu. mine is a bit more than that and very useful but not a true moonlight.

These are certainly worth a look.

Good Luck.

zosocpf

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys:) anymore suggestions? i forget to mention i also have the zl sc50w and personally, i don't prefer it keychained the diameter is to big. i prefer the straigh tube type that of the quark mini, i can be open to clicky switches to widen my options...
i'll look into the thrunite as welll

mattevt

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure there is a AA light better suited to your needs than the Mini AA you already have.The Quark 1XAA would provide you with a moonlight mode but at 3.75" I am not sure that you would want it attached to a keychain though it could be done.The 1XAA is also a clicky so that may be another deal killer.If you can go with a different battery size,CR123,CR2 or AAA you would have more choices.

+1 to this. 3 lumens is pretty low. (Though I guess it depends on what you would need .2 lumens for.) Anything else I can think of either takes a different cell or is a clicky. Maybe a maratac...

Edit: Or a Preon. Not a true moon mode, but low is only 1.3 lumens.

Last edited:

joe1512

Enlightened
Quark Mini is already pretty good. There is not much more you can do, but here are some options:

a) Upgrade to a 16340 battery. Its an AA-sized 4.3volt lithium ion rechargable. Some lights cannot handle this, but it gives a LARGE increase in brightness..like 3times more.

b) Buy a CR123 light. They are 3.0 volt batteries and about twice as bright as typial 1xAA lights. You can use a RCR123 rechargable for a 30% increase on top of that, pretty safely.

c) get the latest generation 1xAA. The zebralight I believe is the most efficient currently with a 1xAA.