Is it just me or you too?

SaVaGe

Enlightened
I have many expensive, rugged, excellent flashlights but one thing I've noticed is, I use the cheapest Flashlight i have for work and it serves me VERY well with NO issues.

Am i the only one here? I have HDS, Surefire,Malkoff's,Fenix's to name a few and they are all can withstand all i do at work but i find my self using my streamlight pro and maglite XL100 99.99% of the time. Is it because i dont want to get my good lights dirty??

Primaries are no issues for me.. I have lots of them.

Last edited:

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I'm going to be working in a situation where I know there's a chance of losing a light and not be able to recover it I will take a cheaper one. Other than that I will and DO use my lights without care. I use to obsess about it but then a thought hit me, why did I pay so much for these lights if I'm not willing to use them.
IMO having an unused light is like having a show car that you NEVER drive, only less expensive.

shao.fu.tzer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to go to the cheapy beaters first while poking around the homestead... I only carry the nice lights when I leave the house...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I have many expensive, rugged, excellent flashlights but one thing I've noticed is, I use the cheapest Flashlight i have for work and it serves me VERY well with NO issues.

Am i the only one here? I have HDS, Surefire,Malkoff's,Fenix's to name a few and they are all can withstand all i do at work but i find my self using my streamlight pro and maglite XL100 99.99% at a time. Is it because i dont want to get my good lights dirty??

Primaries are no issues for me.. I have lots of them.

Streamlight and MAG... those are pretty reliable lights. I too would have no problem using those over more $$$ lights. The only cheapy I have thats been reliable enough to replace my more $$$ lights has been a Romisen RC-N3.

mrlysle

Enlightened
Naw, I pretty much use any and all my lights. I always have my HDS rotary with me and a ZL SC600 in a sweet holster with a spare 18650. But the rest get changed and varies with no apparent reason. "Let's see, I haven't carried that Quark Mini AA Ti for awhile, I'll grab it, or I need to carry (insert whatever light here) because I really like it. But bottom line is, I try to carry them all at different times, maybe it's just to maintain my familiararity with each one's operation. I like to be able to pick up any of my lights and not have to think about it's UI, and man are they all a little different. From HDS to Zebralight, to Quark regular and tacticals, to Fenix, to Eagletac, and on and on. I want to be proficient with them all. My 2 cents. :)

Leanrio

Newly Enlightened
Lmao, it happens to me too, I see myself using the cheapest lights I have :p

Zenster

Enlightened
I've got quite an assortment myself, maybe 15 and then some, but the one that has ended up working perfectly for me as a work light is the SF E1B Backup.
I use it often during the day for setting up machine equipment and looking into dark and hidden areas of the machines, and everything about it suits the purpose better than any other light I have.
The double-direction clip, it's compact size, the handy protruding clicky switch, the very bright high setting that always turns on first, and ruggedness that I need for dropping it, kicking across the floor, rolling around in dirt and sometimes mud (even dropped it in the driveway once where it was run over by a fork lift... came out just fine)... all of those features come together to make the E1B my perfect work light.

While somewhat battle-scarred, it's been working great for about three years now full time.
I use it many times during each day, but only for a few minutes at a time, so I change out the battery only about every two weeks.

Last edited:

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
My most expensive light (HDS high CRI Clicky) gets the most use because it is the most pleasurable to use. However, if I know I'm going to be working in the lab, under a car, or anyplace a dropped light might never be recovered, I'll use one of my beater lights (L-mini, incendio, inova X1).

I buy lights to use them. I only have one shelf queen (L-mini with 7C MCE emitter) and the only reason it's a shelf queen is because I don't trust it since something rattles in the head. Also, it gets hot fast, so it requires care to use.

--flatline

Ian2381

Enlightened
I usually don't use regularly my expensive flashlights but I use others which I could afford to lose or break.Still I make sure that I carry one of my best light and not my cheapest, definitely my second best. I also have a spare light for my edc.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry them all. I don't really have a favorite. I rotate through them depending on mood and need.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I solve this issue by not having expensive lights lol. My best light is a Solarforce L2P with a luck of the draw neutral tint XR-E from DX. Even if I lose that one I wouldn't be out so much money.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I grab the best light for the task. usually its my more expensive lights.
I EDC a HDS. my primary work light was a Oveready Cerokote C2.

but i also like having less expensive lights which usage have been replaced by other lights.
these lights are in the range of about $60, and are essential as loaners, and beaters. =)

no way, im i handing my clicky over to someone to borrow when i have other lights.
they would also need a tutorial, which i rather not expalin, cause they usually dont listen.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC whatever light I like best no matter price, having said that though if it's a really great light I like to keep a backup, that helps ease the burden of thinking I'm going to lose or damage it.

I've never owned a light that cost over $300 but I understand why someone may not carry it on a daily basis, even though it might be just a flashlight some are beautiful and if the body was damaged by a drop..well that would suck.

I think of the JHanko Ti D10 3D and how I've always wanted one, if I ever owned one and damaged it wow that would be hard to get over and I'm pretty sure there would be no backup of it in my collection.

yliu

Enlightened
I also like to EDC a cheap light, right now it's a Jetbeam BA10. I don't want my better lights to get dirty or mess up the anodizing:)

I don't even need a flashlight that's brighter than the 20 lumens. Every time I turn on a light on max output is just for showing off or for fun, so there is really no reason to EDC something super bright or with a lot of modes.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is just one reason to to carry a dependable, bright as you can EDC light.

Found by my best friends uncle while bush-hogging in a field, this had me carrying a TK35 on max for a couple weeks.

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
jhc37013,

That's a BIG sneak!

You are correct that for a lot of people having a very bright EDC can be very handy. Where I live, there are no snakes, bears etc. and the streets are illuminated very well. So for me, having a small EDC come very handy sometimes but it's not like a must have.