Surefire L5 question

BrownBear

Newly Enlightened
Hello to all,

I haven't been here for a very very long time and have noticed that all my lights are I guess you could say light yrs, obsolete

There were it when I got them but no mas

Surefire's I have had

c3ha x2
6p
m3
l5

well I lost the c3's
sold the m3, I thought it wasn't much for what it cost and not very applicable

and I have kept my L5
I got the l5 about 2007 or 08,
Now to my question, how do I know if I have the updated l5 that surefire put out..:thinking::thinking:.

and I love the light muncho muncho, the tint is really one of my fav.

I am considering upgrading/modding it any suggestions
I want brighter/more throw, however I am not really interested in breaking the bank:rolleyes:

I have been working on fixing my 6p, I had it since like 03,
I got the Solarforce XM-L T6 Cree 820 Lumens 3-6V Replacement bulb for Surefire 6P
I'd like your thoughts on this too:thinking:

Thanks

M.Rios

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the Bezel...the older one's were etched "KL5" and the newer ones "KL5A". The older used the lux-v and had a warmer tint, and were rated at 100 lumens. The newer one uses an SSC, and puts out about 120 lumens, has a cooler tint, longer runtime, and a domed glass lens (to protect from breakage, like an egg). For what it is, the L5 may be the best you can get. To pay for an upgrade would run you $150-$200. If you want brighter, you can get a KX4, or get a regular bezel and a Malkoff, but the beam of the L5 is very unique, and one of SF's finest...especially with the deep reflector, and the glass lens, ensuring maximum light transmission.

Welcome to CPF, BTW!

BrownBear

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Angel of War:wave::wave:

Yeah it appears as if I do have the newer one, it says kl5a on it and it has the dome glass like you mentioned

And just like you mentioned the light it gives is extremely awsome quality, I like cooler looking lights, not a fan of warm so much

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had gotten the L5 during 07 or 08, there is a possibility you had gotten the new ones marked KL5A. I got mine around 2004 or 05 and it is the older one with the Luv 5 emitter. Love the tint but hate the inefficiency. It is probably the hottest light I have held and I believe mine was rated at 60 or 80 lumen then.