LED Lenser X14, X7R and X21R

yliu

Enlightened
The X14 and X7R looks interesting with the 2 heads.

X14: http://translate.google.com/transla...9ccf67596519be0346acaa2c0&detail=7814&act=url

X7R: http://translate.google.com/transla...=dc1b8e6269361314e6ef0aa312eb5f40&detail=7815

X21R: http://translate.google.com/transla...=9e8ef27629667458a843f487d25d0267&detail=7813

The X14 and X7R both put out over 400 lumens of output from the 2 emitters (I wonder if it's a XPG or still the XRE:thinking:) While the X21R has increased the brightness to 1500 lumens compared to the X21 and added regulation:twothumbs.

I am still disappointed that Led Lenser still haven't switched to newer emitters on their other models and these newer models could also be using XREs just driven harder.

Last edited:

bighest

Newly Enlightened
The X14 and X7R looks interesting with the 2 heads.

X14: http://translate.google.com/transla...9ccf67596519be0346acaa2c0&detail=7814&act=url

X7R: http://translate.google.com/transla...=dc1b8e6269361314e6ef0aa312eb5f40&detail=7815

X21R: http://translate.google.com/transla...=9e8ef27629667458a843f487d25d0267&detail=7813

The X14 and X7R both put out over 400 lumens of output from the 2 emitters (I wonder if it's a XPG or still the XRE:thinking:) While the X21R has increased the brightness to 1500 lumens compared to the X21 and added regulation:twothumbs.

I am still disappointed that Led Lenser still haven't switched to newer emitters on their other models and these newer models could also be using XREs just driven harder.

I wonder how good the regulator will be. As on the M series it drops to 60 per cent and hold that till the batteries die.

yliu

Enlightened
I think the X14 will be AA like the M14, only way they will get a decent runtime @ 480 Lumens depending on regulator.

X7R will be rechargeable, probably running on a 18650 like the M7R. I haven't heard of a non-rechargeable version of the X7.

Deal4

Enlightened
I'm almost getting to the place that I want to give LED Lenser a try, but why do they have to be so stinking expensive?
For all the bad rap they get around here, it seems that they would not be that expensive.
Maybe these newer ones will change the way people view them.

3Cylinders

Newly Enlightened
I thought the current X21R already had 1500 lumens, but I looked up a few webpages and most say 1270 lumens. Going up to 1500 isn't much of a bump, especially with the number of 1,000+ lumen lights out there now. The X7R looks like it could be interesting.

bighest

Newly Enlightened
I thought the current X21R already had 1500 lumens, but I looked up a few webpages and most say 1270 lumens. Going up to 1500 isn't much of a bump, especially with the number of 1,000+ lumen lights out there now. The X7R looks like it could be interesting.

The x21 still throws very far, so the x21R with only 1500 lumens will still impress many ppl with its throw ability. Led Lenser aren't perfect but they throw beautifully.

cplusplus

Newly Enlightened
How come LED-Lensers get all the Red Dot product design awards there overrated and overpriced just because red dot is German doesn't mean they should give it to a German brand.

Thoughts on the new X series

-overpriced
-cheap aluminum
-cheap o-rings
-probably a good thrower like my other AAA Lenser
-X21R bright and extreme thrower but would get something else for the same price
-Bad regulation like on all LED-Lensers

bighest

Newly Enlightened
How come LED-Lensers get all the Red Dot product design awards there overrated and overpriced just because red dot is German doesn't mean they should give it to a German brand.

-overpriced
-cheap aluminum
-cheap o-rings
-X21R bright and extreme thrower but would get something else for the same price

I do agree with you, but for the common man who knows nothing about torches and plays with a led lenser, they will be amazed, the focus system and throw is brilliant and there marketing is very good. Here is S.A almost every outdoor store sell them and only one or two stores will have fenix or any other light. I used to think Led lenser were the best until i did major research on the net and found this forum.

pageyjim

Enlightened
Their warranty is good. I have had them fix-replace with no receipts etc. They even added holsters when they weren't included in the first place.

400THz

Newly Enlightened
Any manufacturer who relies on current battery technology limitations (max current, internal resistance) for the correct functioning of his flashlights is in my opinion irresponsible and not worth my money.

Even more when his lights are overpriced (or used to be, I don't know about now).

And even more when some of his lights are only compatible with alkaline cells, the worst battery chemistry by far (of the ones in common use).

Finally, I'd advise anyone to stay away from anything 3xAAA.

-overpriced
-cheap aluminum
-cheap o-rings
I have no idea about their new series, but it really sounds like they haven't improved (emphasis mine).

jupello

Enlightened
Some of the opinions here seem a bit prejudiced. The products are not even out yet and you guys give opinions of the O-rings the products will have?
The common man who comes here for "expert" opinion might get fooled to think that you actually have experience of these lights..

400THz

Newly Enlightened
Some of the opinions here seem a bit prejudiced. The products are not even out yet and you guys give opinions of the O-rings the products will have?
Just to clarify, I have no opinion on the actual new products, but I have an opinion on the manufacturer: Marketing lights that are compatible with alkaline cells but not with the much superior NiMH cells (because of the lower internal resistance of the latter and despite the fact that they have a very similar voltage under load) is totally unacceptable (for me).

The common man who comes here for "expert" opinion might get fooled to think that you actually have experience of these lights..
I do have some experience with some of their older models (owned by a friend) and, frankly, was left completely unimpressed. Their focusing system at first seems "cool", but when the novelty wears off you realise that it compromises optical efficiency and water-tightness. Thankfully, I have no experience with their new models.
(Does that sound prejudiced? :nana: )

Marcturus

Enlightened
When I last looked at the regulations, the Red Dot "product design" award seemed to work more like a business promotion "award" than a fully independent design contest.
-cheap aluminum
-cheap o-rings
quite some spill, I wouldn't rule out a faulty driver...
naughty.gif
(I do hope everyone involved in the crash is doing fine.)

pic.php

jupello

Enlightened
Just to clarify, I have no opinion on the actual new products, but I have an opinion on the manufacturer: Marketing lights that are compatible with alkaline cells but not with the much superior NiMH cells (because of the lower internal resistance of the latter and despite the fact that they have a very similar voltage under load) is totally unacceptable (for me).

Nothing of what you just said applies to these 3 models. Two of them are rechargeable models with lithium and NiMH cells. And the "non rechargeable" X14 can use whatever ~1.5V primary/rechargeable cell you want to use in it (Alkaline, NiMH, lithium primary..).

I do have some experience with some of their older models (owned by a friend) and, frankly, was left completely unimpressed. Their focusing system at first seems "cool", but when the novelty wears off you realise that it compromises optical efficiency and water-tightness. Thankfully, I have no experience with their new models.
(Does that sound prejudiced? :nana: )

Well, the thread is about these three new models. I don't think the people in the threads discussing the new Maglite models would be interested hearing about my experiences with the good old Maglite solitaire either.
And the optics Led Lenser use these days do not compromise optical efficiency. They have pretty clever design that redirects light with better efficiently than the traditional aspheric lenses.

Last edited:

yliu

Enlightened
hmmm... anyone has any news about the company? It doesn't seem like they are updating their products...

3Cylinders

Newly Enlightened
I haven't heard anything. I was looking forward to seeing how they would update their lights, but nothing so far. Coast has been quietly updating their version of the lights after their split with Led Lenser, but they seem to be incremental upgrades with the exception of the Coast HP17 which appears to be using a Cree XM-L with 615 ANSI lumens.