Anyone still use their Eternalights?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought one of these back in the day, but sold it because the LS's were coming in. I loved all the functions it had but could not compete with the brightness of the LS's.

Is this company planning anying in the future? I would buy a Eternalight LS, if it had most if not all the functions of the older 5mm models.

sotyakr

Enlightened
For me, the Derringer makes a great night stand light. Plenty of light, without being blinding, and easy to switch on. I've also got a Elite XRay and Model 3 which I like for car, kayaking or camping use when I don't need a long throw light and the additional flashing modes come in handy.

An LS version would be nice though.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am using my EliteMax in my car as it is really functional, sufficiently bright for the classical closeup-tasks, has a magnet (very important), uses lithiums and can run forever if necessary.
IMHO these are a lot of advantages and no other light can offer thise in such a small high quality package.
of course, if power and/or throw is needed, you need another light.
so again: YES I use mine and will continue to do so.
bernhard

P.S.: I use my Raven2, too, since my wife likes it, she even has her own.

JJHitt

Enlightened
I still EDC my X-Ray. It's pretty beat up, but I've been rough on it. I've no use for all the flashing options, but I like the fact that it is dimable.

Gandalf

Enlightened
Now that winter is coming on in N. America (meaning more pockets!) I will EDC one of my EternaLights. They are great for use in and around the car. They are small and have a very long run time. Not as bright as a LS light, but I find them very handy. I currently own four, and have given away another 8 or 9 as gifts. They have been particularly popular with campers. I bought a bunch of close-out #0 Phillips head screwdrivers, and gave one with each light. I have a tiny #0 Phillips head screwdriver on my keychain, (it came with my EternaLight Xray; very handy!)

IMHO, the EternaLight is still a very useful light, in these days of 5 watt LS lights that eat 2 or 3 123's in an hour or so. There will always bee a need for a compact, long runtime, dimmable light, and the EternaLight, and Derringer, has that niche pretty well sewn up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have the original Eternalight classic. It's tiny, much smaller than current versions, stands securely on any side and carries unobtrusively. Best of all, it runs seemingly forever on one or two leds. It's my carry-on travel companion and a perfect adjustable nightlight.

Brightnorm

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I made mine a bit more useful when I made the eternaLantern for it.

I use it for reading sometimes (I switch between several lights, depending on mood), and as a nightlight, at times.

I use NiMH in it, as I do all of my lights.

The last I heard, it might have been on eternaLight's forum on their website or here, they were thinking of making an 8 LED version.

I only use the strobing functions for play (stopping the motion of a fan, for instance), but I use the dimming function a lot.

Al_Havemann

Enlightened
I have a classic and I still get lots of use from it. There aren't many dimmable led lamps out there and the classic has many uses where I don't need or want a lot of light, but want it on tap.

I take it when I'm on bike trips and camping out. I leave it on it's lowest setting all night. It' still running on the original set of Lithium batteries I put in it years ago. The batteries might be getting a bit low by now but for a night light, it'll probably last several more before I need to replace them.

I'd guess that the new ARC LS4 will probably make the Eternalight a gift to someone who hasn't yet gotten into led lights, but maybe not.

Al

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have a Derringer in the headboard of my bed, which I occasionally use if I need a variable brightness white or red light. And I've used the Rave'n as a "Mariners light" when going to baseball games - the red and yellow LEDs were taped over, and the blue and green LEDs were left exposed. When affixed to the steering arm of my wheelchair and set to something other than the "all on" mode, it was very eye catching.

I test a lot of flashlights though, so actual use of any specific eternaLight has been a bit more limited than it could be if the light was one of the only ones I had.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
The eternalight is one of the few highly touted lights I have never bought or used.....Or seen in real life for that matter.

Kuvittelija

Newly Enlightened
....so does it still make sense to get a couple of EliteMax lights? Maybe would work great when running or biking? Eternalight owners: in TOTAL darkness outside, how far can you see with it? Planning to get one for my tech-crazy 4 year old son, one for myself of course and maybe a few as gifts...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Al_Havemann said:
I have a classic and I still get lots of use from it... There

[/ QUOTE ]

Al,

If they'd make an updated Classic; same size and shape but waterproof with newer non-flickering dimming I'd grab it. Mine is on the same old lithiums too.

Brightnorm

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the Ergo 3's with lithium battieries in each of my cars. I think they make the perfect backup/emergency light. Plenty of brightness for seeing the immediate surroundings in the dark, virtually indestructible, with the lithiums I don't worry about heat/cold/shelf life for the batteries, and, in a pinch, they can light a looooooong time.

Gone Jeepin

Enlightened
I keep my Elite Xray in my EDC bag/pack. As the cooler weather comes, I will migrate it to the chest pocket of my winter jacket. I really like the Eternalights and can never see myself without one now. It is pretty much always within reach and is comforting to have. Aside from the utility of this unique light, I also think it has a high "fiddle factor" as well, like my LSH-P... Really hard to put down once it is in your hands... Played with the Elite Xray over coffee today as a matter of fact.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For brightness, I consider my Elite X-Ray to be fairly similar to that of the Inova X5. I always wondered if the Elite Max was brighter in normal mode and/or boost mode then the X-Ray. Can anybody answer that?

I like them although I don't really like all the gee whiz features like the strobe, etc. I gave my X-Ray to my dad and if the Elite Max would drop slightly in price, maybe down to the $50-60 range, I would pick one up as a replacement. Anybody know the best price for one these days?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I have been using my Arcs and MM sandwich lights daily. I keep my EliteMax in my car as backup. I pulled the EliteMax out the other day and played with it. It is really a neat tool, and very bright in overdrive mode. It still has original lithium batteries. It is a light I would depend on, in an emergency, over all of my other lights.

Bill

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i still use my elitemax, occasionally.

while an amazing tool, i have some nitpicks.

it was accidentally dropped from a height of about 3.5 feet onto my tiled kitchen floot, and stopped working. upon inspection, one of the bats had comepletely shifted out of contact. of course, this required a screwdriver to fix.

i still have a problem with the glare caused by the backspill of the unshielded LED's. i just dont like it. i was going to sell it for this reason, but my wife likes the strobing modes, etc, so she vetoed my decision.

though it is very bright (nearly 100 lux), it is sometimes a bit too dim, and has little throw.

i wish it were a little smaller.

a luxeon would be fantastic coupled with those amazing electronics--even if underdriven.

Bob