thrunite scorpion problem

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
the problem
when I turn on infinite mode, I can not adjust the intensity of light output, neither increases nor decreases, only flashes 2 times and 4 times seemingly without a pattern.

I made a video for the problem.
I hope someone can help me, does one week I am with her.
thanks

video:

akajimmy

Newly Enlightened
I have not seen that. I would contact the dealer you purchased the light from.

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
see
light flashes every 13 seconds, even without pressing a button.

I thought it was the Battery low voltage warning system, but I do not think that is

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
thrunite.com information that is giving me are very vague

someone who has this model could you please help me clarify this doubt?

need help applying for the exchange or not

thanks

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I like the light, the Scorpion V2 seems to have some serious problems with the tailcap. Out of everything, the weakest link of the light appears to be the tailcap, with its plastic construction as opposed to aluminum for the rest of the light.

The first Scorpion V2 that I received from Battery Junction performed fine when I first got it, but the tailcap malfunctioned not even an hour later. While the light was in my pocket with the tailcap in lockout, the light decided to turn on all of a sudden at its maximum brightness. It did not turn off no matter what I did, save for when I did a "hard" lockout--unscrew the tailcap to physically break the connection between the light and the batteries. After fiddling around with it and, after eventually destroying the tailcap with accidental application of brute force, I sent the entire unit back to Battery Junction, which they replaced for free of charge.

Just after sending the broken one in, I bought another since I was stuck with the backup light (Quark AA Tactical S2) for the past two weeks. The second unit has been working flawlessly. The replacement light came about a week later, and that also worked great. I plan on giving that one to a rookie cop who got "gifted" a Streamlight Strion.

There is also a topic at Marketplace that discusses issues with the light activating when strong magnetic force is present. http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?254025-Scorpion-V2-Turns-on-when-I-start-the-car

Contact your dealer and request for RMA.

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
omg, this is really frustrating
I was a little disappointed with the scorpion
I was loving this torch, but this magnetic field problem is unbelievable.

police operations in the cities are subject to changes in magnetic field, imagine having to be checking the integrity of the torch

Tailcap could replace?
how is the low battery warning?

thanks enomosiki

Moonshadow

Enlightened
In and of itself, the tailcap being made of plastic shouldn't be a big problem - anyone with a Gladius will be used to it. It does have the huge advantage much easier than a standard clicky to operate with a gloved thumb, or with the heel of the hand in a cigar grip.

Both of my Gladii have been very reliable. The problems you are having sound more like a circuitry issue rather than the plastic tailcap itself- let's hope these are fairly isolated issues with the Scorpion and Thrunite works them out soon.

I agree with enomosiki - have it replaced.

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
this type of problem that I reported is common?
I can ask for RMA and run the risk of repeating the problem?

Here there is no assistance and any RMA returns as consignment can cost me almost 100% of value if it is taxed at customs

besides it takes 20 days to receive, it can miss the deadline of the RMA

thanks

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think the problem is all that common. It must be affecting a select few, but enough to have a conversation about it over at the Marketplace.

Unfortunately, dealers don't seem to stock the tailcaps as separate accessories. At least that's what my experience with Battery Junction was. They will request that you send back the entire unit and then send you a complete replacement.

Out of the three Scorpion V2's that I've went through, two of them work fine. It was just the first one that was borked.

From what I know, whenever most dealers issue RMA, they look at the date that the item was sent back on (the date that you hand it off to the post office/shipping company), not the date that they receive it. You can try talking to the dealer to find out about their policy, but there's no guarantee.

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
thank enomosiki
already asked for the RMA in Battery Junction, they were attentive

the Tailcap is sold separately?
this magnetic field interference is a concern in tactical action, imagine you applying strobe mode and suddenly enters firefly

I have serious doubts if I continue with the scorpion or exchange for another model

thanks

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
You got your Scorpion V2 at Battery Junction as well? I talked to Ken during the RMA process and he's very attentive, and I'm sure he'll take care of you.

And, no, dealers don't sell the tailcap separately. I asked the same question to Battery Junction when I had to return my first Scorpion V2.

Anyway, the magnetic interference issue seems to be a rare issue. I haven't ran into the issue with the two other units.

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
yes, also bought in Battery Junction and I'm also talking with Ken, he is really helpful, giving me support

honestly, I enjoyed this scorpion has a phenomenal light
let's wait and see if the Thrunite puts replacement by Tailcap

edit...
which tactics lanterns similar to the scorpion could you tell me?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
In terms of the UI, Scorpion V2 uses a similar UI as Blackhawk NightOps Gladius. They both share similar size as well. The output of Gladius, however, is nowhere near Scorpion V2. Scorpion V2's also has the ability to attach the turbo head and nearly double its throw.

In terms of size and throw, if you are looking for an alternative to Scorpion V2 fitted with turbo head, there are medium-sized XP-G throwers of slightly smaller size than Scorpion V2 that will get nearly as much throw. Examples include 4sevens Maelstrom G5, Lumintop TD-15 and ArmyTek Predator. There is also a bigger light, Farka Xeno G42, that uses XP-G and throws even farther than Scorpion V2 with turbo head, but the downside is that G42 has about half the output and much smaller spot, not to mention being much heavier and having a clunky UI, at the cost of, what, around mere 30 meters of extra throw.

Honestly, I can't name a direct competitor to Scorpion V2. The thing with Scorpion V2 is that, while it lacks the throw of other XP-G throwers without the turbo head, it compensates with raw output. Putting the turbo head on it will allow it to out-throw them. It also has an impressive amount of output as well--achieving more than 700 lumens using only two primaries.

It's a great light. I recommend that you wait for the replacement and give it a second chance. I've been carrying my replacement for about three weeks and it has yet to fail to impress me.

PAPACHARLIE

Newly Enlightened
enomosiki
You're doing an avid spokesman Thrunite (laughs:))

scorpion is really impressive and did not lie when he said that it illuminates more than the light in the room - it's a flashlight out of the ordinary.

as the saying goes: "The first impression is what stays"
she is still being admired by me

she goes to the RMA, but will go back:)
I'll stick with it

Thank you all, you guys were great
enomosiki, you helped me a lot, thanks

ygbsm

Enlightened
Re the plastic switch as a weakness: I've had the Gladius since it first came out, and have had the plastic button (not the rotary control dial) break off two switches on the two I own. When the buttons break off, the lights have still been useable, and epoxy for plastics will hold the buttons on for some months until the epoxy joint fails.
That said, I'm getting the Thrunite Scorpion because I like the UI so much and because the Thrunite seems to have done a great job keeping much of /what was the best from the Gladius.
The only two things that from the photographs here that look like they might not necessarily be positives are the smaller flange size v. the Gladius and the knurling on the base of the switch itself, knurling which may interfere with using a thumb to rotate the control ring (the way I've been using the Gladius, the thumb is swept, in part along the surface of the base of the switch. We'll see, but the worst I anticipate is a very minor alteration ib switching technique on my part.
As far as external/unintended magnetic activation is concerned in the Hall effect sensor switch-- for whatever it's worth, this has never been an issue on the Gladius for the years I've EDC'd them in a big city.
I'm really looking forward to using the Scorpion...

ygbsm

Enlightened
Just got a Scorpion -- thank you Battery Junction for the rapid shipment.
First impressions re my comment above. The knurling on the switch base is no issue whatsoever for changing modes. This is because the knurling overall is very nicely done, not too aggressive but giving a nice grippy feel. The plastic on the switch does appear that it might be a bit less sturdy than the early Gladius I have, but again, we'll see how this bears out over usage. The selector is much easier to change than on either Gladius I have. The smaller flange size on the Scorpion is not an issue at all. Some details are much refined from the Gladius -- there is a locator notch in the tailcap to help correct indexing of the switch pins/body slot, for example, that would be very useful in the Gladius. The springing of the battery contacts feels very impressive.
On other initial impressions: it's been said before, but the machining on the Scorpion is beautifully done. The Scorpion feels lighter than I expected. Relative to the Gladius, the light appears to have a distinctly yellower cast. So far -- knock on wood -- the Scorpion has been extremely impressive. My initial examination and use of the Scorpion, makes it's clear Thrunite has really tried to produce a great product, one that responds to users needs -- and so far, my impression is that they have succeeded resoundingly.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I received the instructions on returning my light, they didn't ask me for an invoice. Rather, they asked me to include a copy of the RMA email that they sent out. It was titled, "Important information regarding your Battery Junction Order ######", and was sent by [email protected].

Check your inbox of the email account that you used to place the order and find one titled, "order BATTERYJUNCTION--###### from BatteryJunction.com", sent by [email protected]. That should be the invoice.

I'd suggest that you print out a copy of each emails and pack them inside the same box that you are sending out the light in.