Need Recommendation for Mom's Flashlight (it's all about the timer!)

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
So I'm visiting my buddy and see he's got a Streamlight Scorpion on the shelf and it turns out it's his mom's, but she left it on and so now the lens is melted and the bulb is burnt out. And apparently she tends to leave the lights on when she puts them down or away in drawers, etc.

So I'm thinking, "light with a timer" is what she needs!

Right now I am thinking a nice Novatac light would be ideal, but what say you?

My primary criteria are bright, with a timer, small enough for purse carry (so I was thinking the Novatac Classic, but buddy said that's too long, so we are looking at the EDC size.

I've also considered a Eternalight, but keep coming back to Novatac.

Which EDC's have the timer?

All advice appreciated!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I can also recommend the Proton Pro. Don't know if she'd use the ramping feature, but the "off" timer is nice.

Geoff

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive set "auto-shutoff" to on, on my HDS clicky.
it turns off after 10 mins of no-activity.

i cant think of any other lights with that feature... and now that i think about it, more lights could really use it.

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
ive set "auto-shutoff" to on, on my HDS clicky.
it turns off after 10 mins of no-activity.

i cant think of any other lights with that feature... and now that i think about it, more lights could really use it.

I agree, I am surprised that more lights don't have timers. Very handy indeed!

Thanks for the HDS recommendation. I just received my Rotary less than two weeks ago and really love it. Between the nice physical design and the fun UI, it's a real pleasure to carry this light! I initially recommended the same for my buddy's mom, but then got to thinking that something a little less premium would probably be more appropriate. So that's what got us looking at the Novatac. But I think the HDS is a good backup! :)

Cheers!

GPS Rider

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for these recommendations so far, gents! :thumbsup:

We are looking at the Novatac EDC pretty hard. Can anyone tell me if the current model has the timer? I can't find that in the specs or recent reviews. :thinking:

The Proton Pro also looks very good and the only detractor right now is the lack of a crenellated bezel, since she tends to put the lights down while they are on. :eek:oo:

ian_W

Newly Enlightened
So I'm visiting my buddy and see he's got a Streamlight Scorpion on the shelf and it turns out it's his mom's, but she left it on and so now the lens is melted and the bulb is burnt out. And apparently she tends to leave the lights on when she puts them down or away in drawers, etc.

So I'm thinking, "light with a timer" is what she needs!

Right now I am thinking a nice Novatac light would be ideal, but what say you?

My primary criteria are bright, with a timer, small enough for purse carry (so I was thinking the Novatac Classic, but buddy said that's too long, so we are looking at the EDC size.

I've also considered a Eternalight, but keep coming back to Novatac.

Which EDC's have the timer?

All advice appreciated!

Was this left in a draw then? As I'd be pretty disappointed to turn a light on, and then find it had melted if I used it from full battery to empty, I'd kind of expect the torch to be able to do that, fair enough if I stuffed it in an enclosed space, but put down and left on, I'd be inclined to go back the manufacturer!

Latest posts