Odd Man-Child Encounter.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
This happened just a couple of hours ago. (And by man-child, I don't mean a lovable Mr. Bean type character.) I had decided to relax a bit at a Barnes & Noble's I rarely visit. It's along the route I take between home and my job, as well as the medical institute I'm still enrolled in. Wanted to relax a bit with a nice book.

Found a couple of books and a magazine. I go upstairs to, hopefully, find a seat. Unlike other B&N bookstores, this one only has a handful of seats near the windows upstairs, and if they're all taken then you're just SOL until someone gets up. I was fortunate to find an empty chair. Five minutes later, a guy approaches me. He's in his late teens. He's polite, but makes it clear I'm in his chair.

This is when things get weird. Instead of "man-child," a more appropriate term would be Child in an Adult Body. I've seen this before. Not an isolated example. Basically, everyone is forced to grow up physically. But no one is forced to grow up in the other ways that actually count. Many folks do. But sometimes you encounter those who didn't. Took me a bit to realize I was dealing with one of those.

He then begins complaining, the way a child would, that I took his chair. That I moved it. That it was next to his bag with his laptop in it. Then, that his bag was on the chair and that I had moved it. His laptop bag which he had left completely unattended, was no where near the chair. It was up against the wall. But now I was getting steamed. I had a bit of a trying day and wasn't in the mood for this nonsense. I've gone to other bookstores over the years. It didn't matter if it was a Barnes & Noble's, a Borders, or even a small mom & pop bookstore. The standard procedure with regards to chairs has always been the same . . . You get up from the chair, you walk away from it; anyone can then sit down at that chair. Plain and simple. I've never once complained to someone that they took my chair because I had to get up to use the restroom or because I forgot to grab a book I really wanted to skim through. It's not my chair. It's for any customers who want to take a bit of time to check out a book they're considering buying. The chairs belong to the bookstore. I've even seen older folks asleep in those chairs. Never woke one of them up. Never ran to get the manager to wake them up so I could sit down.

Speaking of the manager, the child trapped in an adult body told me he was going to get the manager so he could have his seat back. I told him to go ahead. By now I was more than a bit steamed. I decided that this childish nonsense wasn't worth my time. Plus, I know what it's like to be in charge and have to deal with moronic customers. I never want to experience that again. And, it wasn't the manager's fault that this idiotic man-child never grew up. I decided to leave. As I did, I bumped into the idiot on my way out, and told him to grow up.

Just an odd experience I wanted to share. Anyone else ever have to deal with a child in an adult body? I'd say there's far more of them out there than we realize. This one wasn't my first. And sadly, isn't likely to be my last. Freaking hell . . . My 4 year-old nephew behaves with more maturity than the dude who came up to me, accusing me of having taken his favorite toy. Had he started screaming "My chair!!" I would not have been surprised.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The reason we have chairs in bookstores, The reason we have rules for how chairs are used in bookstores, the reason we have bookstores, is because individuals came together as a society to create something greater than the individual alone could produce. But in the modern era, this schema is reversed; the individual is over society - society is merely the audience for the individual to project into, society is the fashion accessory. So you can see how this situation was confusing for this man-child, as what you were doing ran completely contrary to his individual wants and desires, how you intruded into his private space which was devoid of any sort of external rules or influence. By fleeing to the manager, he could then have the attention returned to himself, his strata of wants restored, and it would even make a good Tweet story which would be lauded and Liked by the society-audience.

Man-children are the way of the future..

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
so what you're saying is--he cried, you caved--under the pretense it wasn't worth your time.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The reason we have chairs in bookstores, The reason we have rules for how chairs are used in bookstores, the reason we have bookstores, is because individuals came together as a society to create something greater than the individual alone could produce. But in the modern era, this schema is reversed; the individual is over society - society is merely the audience for the individual to project into, society is the fashion accessory. So you can see how this situation was confusing for this man-child, as what you were doing ran completely contrary to his individual wants and desires, how you intruded into his private space which was devoid of any sort of external rules or influence. By fleeing to the manager, he could then have the attention returned to himself, his strata of wants restored, and it would even make a good Tweet story which would be lauded and Liked by the society-audience.

Man-children are the way of the future..

Not sure what's scarier. The fact that you might be right. Or, the fact that I actually understood exactly what you posted.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
so what you're saying is--he cried, you caved--under the pretense it wasn't worth your time.

More like he acted like a little b****. And, I realized I wasn't his parent. If I was, I would have made damn sure he knew how to behave out in public before letting him out of the house. I decided to walk away from the bull$#!%.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This is just the inevitable end result of parents and teachers telling every kid that they're the most important person in the world. One example I had a while back was someone insisting that I allow them in front of me at a grocery checkout line. BTW, I only had a few items, she had a full cart (and it looked like she was going to use WIC coupons, which makes the checkout process interminable). The first reason she gave me was that she was double parked (a BS excuse because the store parking lot had empty spaces). I politely told her I only had a few items, probably I would be done in less than a minute. She insisted that I let her in front now, this time mentioning that she had a flight to catch. I still refused. No way was I going to waste probably 15 minutes letting her go first given her bogus excuses. Again she asks a third time, shortly before it was my turn to be checked out. Before she even started going into her litany of excuses again, I said what's your reason this time, the world is ending tomorrow? She looked like she was ready to explode, then shouted "Why the F can't you just let me go in front of you?". I shouted back "Because I was here first, and because I only have a few things and you have a full cart". Now it's common courtesy in a check out line to let the person behind go first if they have a few things, and you have a full cart, and I've done this before. However, the situation was reversed. Anyway, it was finally my turn. I already had my money out as I was being checked out, and paid the exactly amount promptly. It probably took all of 45 seconds. I was going to say something before leaving, perhaps along the lines of "Exactly what would you have done with those few seconds if I let you go first?" but thought the better of it. I'd rather choose my battles more wisely. Only a fool argues with a fool. She looked mad as hell when I glanced back.

In a nutshell, I'm tired of people who act like they are so rushed that every second counts, and expect everyone else to get out of their way. Maybe this woman was used to bullying her way forwards in the line. Well, that doesn't work with me. Sadly, fewer and fewer people nowadays understand the way civilized society works. It only works if you follow certain rules and conventions. When the "me first" law of the jungle prevails, everything breaks down.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me it looks like some younger generations are a victim of of their parents.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job walking away. Going out of your way to "teach him a lesson" or give him a talking to or whatever else would have been the second time he had inconvenienced you, and most likely would not have changed him in the slightest. Cost:benefit ratio just doesn't pencil.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Good job walking away. Going out of your way to "teach him a lesson" or give him a talking to or whatever else would have been the second time he had inconvenienced you, and most likely would not have changed him in the slightest. Cost:benefit ratio just doesn't pencil.

You're right.

I wish I could come up with a better example. But best I can do right now is the Guns & Roses video that was made to promote the T2 movie back in the day. Arnold dressed as the terminator confronts the band. Then, he just walks away.

Computer analysis: Waste of Ammo.

In this regard: Waste of time. Even doing something as basic as giving the "child" a verbal reality check.

Illum

Flashaholic
I have had the same experience as you Monocrom, only it was in a more explosive environment involving two people [me and him] and the last box of .40s...
I was in front of it first, he said he saw it first. Told him politely that shopping in a store the rule is FIFO. He went for the manager, who told him essentially the same thing. next thing I know he was jumping up and down throwing a fit. Judging from his facial hair hes a bit older than me. I'm 24, last time I threw a tantrum was 10, last time I threw a tantrum in public was 8. Not wanting any part of it I put it back on the shelf and he took it. I walked out, stood beside my car, and doing my best to think about the pretty girl that waved at me while I was jogging in the opposite direction some 6 hours ago before sunrise. Then I saw him walk out... empty handed! He saw me, stuck his tongue out, then continued walking.

Wind up spending the entire afternoon of a perfectly good Saturday stripping my guns over and over and wonder if I should seek counseling or take my troubles to the range. I never did go to the range, because I had the miserable feeling I'd meet him there wondering why I'm in his lane. If it was in a bookstore... okay no biggie... but in a gunshop [I.E. he either owns a gun or just hoards ammo] that sends a chill up me.

Last edited:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the approach most of you are taking, and wouldn't bother escalating the situation with an 'emotionally challenged' individual where confrontation has no benefit, either for their sake or yours. The real trouble is making the determination if it's real or not.

However, the skeptical side of me tells me there is equal chance somebody might just be acting and/or somebody is quietly recording the confrontation to stick on YouTube for a laugh. I have a lot of friends who work retail and describe incidents like this all the time.

JS_280

Newly Enlightened
...and wouldn't bother escalating the situation with an 'emotionally challenged' individual...

Completely agree.

If an individual shows a lack of "emotional togetherness" then you are much better off avoiding and de-escalating the situation. There is no guarantee that they would act in a mature (or sane) manner if you were to push the confrontation further.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have had the same experience as you Monocrom, only it was in a more explosive environment involving two people [me and him] and the last box of .40s...
I was in front of it first, he said he saw it first. Told him politely that shopping in a store the rule is FIFO. He went for the manager, who told him essentially the same thing. next thing I know he was jumping up and down throwing a fit. Judging from his facial hair hes a bit older than me. I'm 24, last time I threw a tantrum was 10, last time I threw a tantrum in public was 8. Not wanting any part of it I put it back on the shelf and he took it. I walked out, stood beside my car, and doing my best to think about the pretty girl that waved at me while I was jogging in the opposite direction some 6 hours ago before sunrise. Then I saw him walk out... empty handed! He saw me, stuck his tongue out, then continued walking.

Wind up spending the entire afternoon of a perfectly good Saturday stripping my guns over and over and wonder if I should seek counseling or take my troubles to the range. I never did go to the range, because I had the miserable feeling I'd meet him there wondering why I'm in his lane. If it was in a bookstore... okay no biggie... but in a gunshop [I.E. he either owns a gun or just hoards ammo] that sends a chill up me.

Damn! Glad you came out of that one without a physical confrontation. When I was much younger, I did have an older dude in an SUV stick his tongue out at me. Rather stupid on his part since that was back when I was young and had a very short fuse. Let's just say that a loud "tap" on his driver's side window with my fist got him to stop that foolishness real quick. Nowadays I wouldn't even bother confronting such an individual. Not worth it. In my younger days . . . a different story.

I grew up. Clearly some folks never do.

lasermax

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to the new generation.I work as a custodian at a university these kids act like they know more than proffessors

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Living in Los Angeles these types of scenarios can become a daily ritual. I've learned to take them as an opportunity to build my patience.

Monocrom, I see that your from NYC, I wouldn't be surprised if these encounters were a daily ritual for you as well.

With that said, I've lived here since I was four and I think it's finally time for me to leave.

scottyhazzard

Enlightened
It's so hard for a TV to raise a good child these days. I wonder if mom & dad didn't both work & one of them stayed home to raise the children how things would be. I'm getting tired of the tantrum throwing kids, foul mouthed & self important. I guess more hard times are in front of us.

Illum

Flashaholic
Damn! Glad you came out of that one without a physical confrontation.

very close to it, but far from life threatening. Working in public service for a number of years equipped me with some patience for irrational people. What doesn't make sense was why he made a big deal out of it and walked out empty handed. :duh2:

My best guess is he was refused service for disorderly conduct, thinking of it in that direction helps curb the frustration :)

As for the sticking-out-the-tongue part, I'm not sure which age group that belonged to. Most drivers resort to giving the finger.

Oh scotty, I wish we had a sound proof chamber for them. Out library would be so much better off with a tantrum chamber built adjacent to the bathroom. Interestingly not so much foul mouthed ones...

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Wow, you guys are too nice,
If that was me & some weirdo said I was sitting in his seat,..I'd tell him to go pound sand!!

The reason I say this is because if you give some freak-job an inch, they take a mile,
people need to be taught a lesson, period.

==

Latest posts