What About A Nitrolon M3 Style Light?

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe it's because Surefire already has a lot of 3 cells model? Making one more would cause the sales of the rest to drop furthur more?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
They could use a design somewhat like the X10 and use a metel bezel.
smile.gif
Just a thought b/c I would love lighter M3 also.

ygbsm

Enlightened
Nerd -- As far as a marketing reason, much as I wish they would, I could understand not making a Nitrolon M3 just on market cannibalization concerns alone. In fact, I was surprised they even made the G2Z.

Viper

Newly Enlightened
Another reason for the Nitrolon models were to make the price point lower for people who wanted to enter the light market without spending $65~$70 for a 6P.

3 of my freinds wanted a light, and thought $35 or $40 was appropriate to spend, not caring about the fancy finish.

A 3 cell model is not a beginners light. Thats my take.

ygbsm

Enlightened
Originally posted by jtivat:
They could use a design somewhat like the X10 and use a metel bezel.
smile.gif
Just a thought b/c I would love lighter M3 also.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">What a great idea!

ygbsm

Enlightened
Originally posted by Viper:
Another reason for the Nitrolon models were to make the price point lower for people who wanted to enter the light market without spending $65~$70 for a 6P.

3 of my freinds wanted a light, and thought $35 or $40 was appropriate to spend, not caring about the fancy finish.

A 3 cell model is not a beginners light. Thats my take.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's why I was surprised and pleased by the G2Z with a pyrex lens, which I don't believe qualifies as a beginner's light.

ygbsm

Enlightened
Originally posted by Size15s:
The G2Z is a fantastic flashlight. It was just waiting to be made!

Al
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree comletely. I feel the same way about a Nitrolon M3 (barring technical problems as you mentioned, such as heat)

nihraguk

Enlightened
i went to sheareas marketing about a week ago (a local knife/flashlight/camping supplies dealer), and according to some of the people there a G2 bezel has been deformed due to heat, so i would think the same applies to a G2Z or a nitrolon M3
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The G2 with Pyrex lens is quickly becoming one of my most used lights. I like the lightweight but durable feel of the G2. I don't have a use for the combat grip so the G2 w/pyrex is sufficient for me.

A nitrolon M3 would be great, kind of like the 8NX. Although for duty use, I like to have aluminum flashlights with me, the 9AN and M2. Off duty, nitrolon works great!

Tombeis

Enlightened
I have two G2's and a G2Z. While I have bubbled the plastic lens in a G2 (easily replaced) I have not been able to deform the bezel.

If deformation would have occured, it would have certainly happened when I bubbled the lens by leaving the light on in a nylon holster. The lens and bezel were very hot when I discovered the situation.

Incidently, the lens in the G2 is replaced by replacing the entire bezel assembly at a cost of $4.95 US from www.brightguy.com

I have also used the 8NX Nitrolon in run tests of th B90 battery. The light was on for 40 minutes in some instances. The bezel was very hot, and there was no distortion.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Cool, replacement bezels. Thanks! I wonder when we will see dealers carrying the Pyrex lens Bezels so we don't have to pay the retail $14 from SF.

ygbsm

Enlightened
Surefire M6 -- Although I keep feeling that my M2 should be "cooler" -- after all it costs a lot more -- I find myself using the G2 a lot more often. I started out using the G2Z as a backup light, but now find the M2 is becoming the backup (I do also like the 9AN alot thanks to a B92 battery).

Like you, I don't use the G2Z (or M2 M3) in a combatlight grip, but I prefer the G2Z body form. I find that I have a more secure grip than I have on the regular models when I hold a combat light in a regular style grip but with the index finger behind the rubber ring, the two middle fingers on the narrow portion of the body and the pinkie riding on the bezel. The rubber ring and the narrowed body section prevent the middle fingers from slipping up or down the flashlight.

Tombeis -- Given your experience with the G2s and 8NX, do you think the heat from the MN10 or MN11 would be a problem? I still like jtivat's idea of using metal for the bezel if heat is a problem.

What should a Nitrolon M3 be called? GM3?

ygbsm

Enlightened
I really like the G2Z -- it's lightweight, has the pyrex lens, and lockout tailcap, plus I don't worry as much about battering it as I do some of my metal SFs. It's great for EDC -- I carry it as often as my M2.

I would expect similar weight savings in a three cell model. What I have found myself wishing for is a light with the same form factor as the M3 but in Nitrolon.

Is there any engineering/technical reason such a light wouldn't be feasible (or what about the same question for an e type light)?

nihraguk

Enlightened
ybgsm:

seeing that the nitrolon version of the Z2 is the G2Z, i'm guessing that the nitrolon version of the M3 would be the G3M
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Every little helps when getting rid of heat.
I think the G2Z does need it's fin - for styling alone it would look strange without it.

Al

ygbsm

Enlightened
Originally posted by Size15s:
Every little helps when getting rid of heat.
I think the G2Z does need it's fin - for styling alone it would look strange without it.

Al
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">After using the G2Z, the Z2 without the fin does look strange to me.

Tombeis

Enlightened
ygbsm:

I have M3 and M3T flashlights, but I don't know how much hotter the lamps burn in these flashlights over the P60/61 in the G2 and G2Z.

The Nitrolon material is very durable and I would think it would withstand the temps produced by the M3 lamps.

However it is always best to ask an expert in these matters.
smile.gif

I am referring to Mr. Al Windler, who likes to torture Surefire products.

Al, how do the Nitrolon based flashlights hold up when left on in the ovan with the Christmas goose?

We may have to wait a few days for the answer to this one. Al may have to wait until Christmas Day to perform the test.

ygbsm

Enlightened
I've noticed that the G2Z has an annular fin near the bezel end of the body in a similar fashion to the fins on the M3 body. Given the nature of the material, its hard to imagine that the G2Zs fin relates to heat dissipation (moreover, why doesn't the G2 have the fin if it does relate), but what purpose, other than looks could it serve?

I really want a G3M!