Trustfire ST-50 SST-50 Aspheric Lens install

APR

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

It is a while since I was last browsing the CPF forums, and I came back today to do a search and it appears I cannot use the search function until I have three posts up. Am I interpreting this requirement correctly? However, here is the first CPF post from me. I hope someone gets some value out of it.

I have fitted the aspherical lens, DX sku.12834 , in this Firetrust ST-50, DX SKU 36031. The lens diameter was loose in the head, and I had to come up with some way to tighten it up. I thought someone else might get some ideas from what I did to make the lens secure and usable in this light.

The purpose of modifying this light is to make a thrower for use when fox shooting.

The lens in this light measures 52mm diameter whereas sku.12834 measures around 48.5mm to 49.5mm diameter and is very loose in the head. The aspheric is also around 1.3mm thicker through the clamped edge then the original lens (2mm) in this light. The thickness didn't pose any real issue to me, however, the diameter did.

img src: http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5593/89463766.jpg

89463766.jpg

I cut a few spacers from the top of a Lynx deodorant can to adapt the smaller diameter of the lens to the head of the light. Reasonably accurate cutting of the plastic top was done by clamping a box cutter blade to timber with the desired thickness spacer between the blade and timber, and then rotating and sliding the plastic top on the timber to contact the blade.....

o9qGX4a.jpg

A ring to fit in the bezel to take up some of the looseness....

yZSRQJG.jpg

I also used the very top of the top, sized the hole out with a grinder, and fitted the lens into the top.....

ll6nPEd.jpg

and then cut the excess from the bottom to end up with......

flfm.jpg

DTECHEu.jpg

I had to stretch the first/outer ring slightly (after heating) so that the lens and second ring could be pushed into it after it was placed in the bezel. The thread tops in the bezel have been machined out slightly where the lens sits (how it was supplied, I did no metal machining), and the first or outer ring is fitted into this machined recess. The outer ring will not clear the bezel internal thread if you try to slide the lens into the bezel with both rings fitted around it.

The only issue of consequence is the bezel will not screw down fully against the body shoulder and over the oring.....

fliqx.jpg

...but the bezel and lens are very secure and there is no chance of anything accidentally coming loose.

flhh.jpg

So far I am very impressed with how the light has turned out with the aspheric lens in it. The lens I have used is sku.12834 . I also purchased sku.44653 but this lens was not as satisfactory as sku.12834 . No matter what distance the led was offset from the lens, a sharp focus could not be achieved.
The light now projects the led die square of light into the distance....

42422717.jpg

The photos were taken with an iPhone. The beam shot does not effectively show that the ST-50 beam is very noticeably of higher light intensity than the projection from the X2000. Outside of a night time, the ST-50 now projects a beam significantly further than the distance achieved by the X2000 fitted with an R2 Led.

Last edited:

APR

Newly Enlightened
Thought I would give an update to this thread (need to get my post count up somehow :)

I removed the ST-50 led and replaced it with a XM-L led that was supposedly at the top of the lumens and current capability, and drove it with the original ST-50 driver at just under 5 amp into the led. I changed leds to achieve a smaller hot spot by virtue of the smaller led emitter size being projected by the aspheric lens.

The torch has been dropped and the aspheric lens shattered. I have replaced the aspheric lens, but the current crop of lens available from DX is nowhere near the quality of 2 years ago. After purchasing 1/2 dozen lenses I still have not got one that projects the die as sharply and with minimal light scattering.

I bought a second Firetrust ST-50, DX SKU 36031 to modify the same as the first, and have not done so because of the lack of a quality lens to give the result I was looking for.

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
:goodjob::kewlpics: I'm really surprised there were no resposes to you original post.

Norm

Norm

Retired Administrator
Maybe the fox shooting intention killed interest in helping?
Foxes here are a pest, they kill native animals and compete with others for food, there is a bounty on them here in Australia.

Norm

Last edited:

Blitzwing

Enlightened
They sure are - I shoot a lot of them by torchlight. The OP's mod is very interesting. :thumbsup:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Are you using a copper mcpcb such as a sinkpad or noctigon with the XM-L? I would think that would be necessary to prevent the LED from going :poof:at 5 amps.

Oh BTW I'm pretty sure I have the same exact lens as the one you broke. I bought it years ago and never used it for a project. It does project a perfect image of the die without the light scattering/multiple images of the die. Send me a PM if your interested.