I'm ready for a Surefire

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been getting more and more interested in flashlights. I've got a Fenix PD31 which I love, an LD15 as my EDC, and and E01 that was my old EDC.

I'm ready to see what the Surefire's are all about. I really appreciate a finely machined piece of aluminum and just a good quality product.

I was thinking a 6P would be a good entry into the game. Since I can't leave much alone, there would have to be some mods.

It seems like the availability and amount of aftermarket and Surefire components are endless so I can make it into exactly what I want.

I'd really like to plan out a sensible purchase rather than buying a lot of things I don't need.

I'll start with a few questions:

- Doest it matter, or make sense, to start with a 6P or 6P LED? Is the difference just the dropin?

- The number of dropin modules is mind boggling. There are cheapies on ebay for $8 and some Malkoff's for $70. I don't like cheap crap, but having the very best available isn't a requirement. Is there a happy medium or a preferred dropin? I know Nailbender makes you what you want basically which would be cool. I'd probably like 2 or 3 modes and more flood than throw.

- A Defender bezel would be cool. Is that only available if you start with a Defender head? They don't look like they thread on like other lights I've seen.

- I like a momentary, forward clicky switch. No twisties. Is that the Z59?

- At some point I'd probably bore it to accept an 18650. I can do this at work when I want to. Anybody have the dimensions on how deep to go? I read that leaving a shoulder at the top is nice to avoid having the battery drop all the way through if the head is removed. Sounds good.

Thanks for any help to get me started!

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nothing wrong with a 6P for sure. But the Malkoff MD2 might be a better light in that class size.

If you want to edc something, an e series light is much smaller. Maybe an E2E with a veleno drop in since you like clicky's.

purelite

Enlightened
Go with the C2 Ha. and the Z59 or the Z48 for a little more robust construction. There is a sales thread for a prebored c2 body (Shao Futzer) and the defender bezel in another thread on the market place. though they will be different colors. If you are sold on the 6p thats cool too but the c2 is very sweet.

The Thrunite XML is a great value for the money big output and good construction.

If you are really on a budget then go Solar force. Heck I just ordered a Solarforce L2T to be a kick around loaner lite.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I forgot a couple things.

- This would just be an around the house or camping light. Definitely not an EDC.
- Because of my intended use, I don't want to spend a lot of money. The malkoff cplete lights are sweet just way more than I want to spend.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Start with a C2 or a 6P, and a Nailbender or Malkoff. You can get a C2 and a Malkoff on the marketplace for around $110. 6P's can be found for around $35-$40 on the MP.

Darvis

Enlightened
At the most basic level, a Type II HA plain old black 6P will work just fine and is a great way to start, I would at least try to get one that's been bored for 18mm cells.

Honestly, set your budget a bit high, scan the marketplace, and buy the Malkoff drop-in.. start with a M6XL (M60L or M61L) for a great combo of output and runtime. You will always be able transfer it to another P series light (or C, or Z)

If you really really really want to go the cheap route, the G2 nitrolon are one of my favorites with a HA Z44 bezel and a Malkoff LL series light.

Truth be told, though, I think the advice to see Shao and grab a Bored C2 with the Malkoff is the best bet.

Anyway your slice it, skimp on the body where you can, but not the Malkoff.

EDIT: Smokin' deal on an M61 right here, right now- http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...ack-MN61-Lamp-C2-body-LM20-Module-Malkoff-M61

Last edited:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would much rather go for a C2, Z2, or MD2, over the 6P.

for a forward clicky swtich, you can also buy a McClicky switch kit.

if you plan on getting a aftermarket drop-in, go for the incandesant model. its cheaper.
there are people that sell bored SF host on the Marketplace. at very good prices.

you can also, buy just the MD2 host. but the malkoffs really are best used with a malkoff drop-in. which are outstanding.

bezels are also available, so you dont need to buy a defender model. check out oveready.com they have lot of different types of bezels, with dfferernt finishes. they also have a bunch of other great stuff, such as the McClicky, SF host, moddoo modular parts etc etc.

dirtech

Enlightened
Get a c2 while you still can and skip the 6p for now, or get both. Then add a malkoff/ your done!

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about this a bit more, I would like quite a bit of light. I already have a few others in the 200-300lm range so it doesn't make sense for me to repeat those. I'm planning to build a Mag85 for the high end of my lineup at some point.

For a Surefire I'd like to see what 500lm looks like. I've decided that a 9P might be my best option. I know the Malkoff M91 drop in is deemed the best way to go but at this point I would have a hard time parting with that much green. What are some of the next best choices to get me on my way? I'm not interested in some $5.99 ebay cheapies but is there anything that I'll call middle of the road and will have a lot of output?

Thanks.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
Begin with 6P for flexibility, if you go LED from beginning, you will have no way to turn it back to incan
besides, theres plenty of D26 LED on the market, cheap isnt a problem, but a chance for you to familarize with it(you dont want to break a $70 by anything, i bet)
My suggestion is to start with some cheap thing first and once it cannot fulfill your desire anymore, go for the $70 one:thumbsup:
Boring the torch by yourself is not suggested unless you are professional on machining(or you are willing to take the risk of scratching/damaging),
theres many people who bore torchs at a price,
for 18650, the internal diameter should be 18.5-19mm~ to fit the battery
Bore it all the way inside, the spring of D26 module will hold the module in position so no worries
If you did not bore the whole internal tube, your 18650 will stuck halfway
example pics:
20072010845.jpg

Copied from Taylor@FlashlightforumHK, Bored 6P for 18650
(for those cheaper and lower-quality batts such as U__fire's, you will need to have more space since the PCB at the bottom are NOT perfectly placed)
Defender bezel, the only difference is the bezel ring, some website sells them seperately, ie: stainless steel creneled ring

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm ready to see what the Surefire's are all about. I really appreciate a finely machined piece of aluminum and just a good quality product.
I would much rather go for a C2, Z2, or MD2, over the 6P.
I agree. You can't go wrong with a 6p, it's a classic. Though based on what OP describes above, something from their C or z series might be a little nicer representation of the brand. But either way since his stated goal is 500 lumens, & with all the discontinued s.f. incan sales going on, if not a c3 then pick up a 9p for $50, then use the savings to justify splurging on an m91 (which is also "on sale").

So get ready, I mean get ready...
I'm ready for a Surefire
t5lkx0.jpg

Surefire & Malkoff for 500 LUMENS of light
cause all your rowdy friends are on cpf tonight.

DUMDUM

Enlightened
*Bob... :tsk: ... you know you are not allowed to be so blatant with your advertising on CPF. Peak has its own sub-forum... that is where your advertising should be. Thank you.*

Last edited by a moderator:

theix

Newly Enlightened
My very first Surefire(s) were E2DL and G3 LED so I think 6P is a good start for you.
I now have 6P-GM which will accept AW 17650 battery without any modifications.It's being used with eBay's cheapo CREE R5 (3.7v - 4.2v model) drop-in module which works perfectly but gives less runtime than those 18650s.

jh333233

Flashlight Enthusiast
My very first Surefire(s) were E2DL and G3 LED so I think 6P is a good start for you.
I now have 6P-GM which will accept AW 17650 battery without any modifications.It's being used with eBay's cheapo CREE R5 (3.7v - 4.2v model) drop-in module which works perfectly but gives less runtime than those 18650s.
-No such thing as 17650, theres only 17670

Last edited:

Tripwik

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a 6P with a nailbender XM-L drop in. It is a stock 6p(as in not bored), off 2 RCR 123s its putting out over 500 lm. You dont have to bore it if you dont want and the drop-ins can be made however you want them for around $50 not much cheaper than malkoff but the customization is what sold me. I also have a C3 waiting for an M61 so I definitely cant say I am partial to one or the other.

Good Luck and Have fun!!!

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got one and love it!

I purchased a 9P and a Malkoff M91. Those two = awesome goodness. The feel oozes quality. The aluminum is finely machined, anodized, and quite thick. The Malkoff dropin is heavy and very nicely made. I'm very happy with the two so far.

The output is very nice. No real hot spot per say, it just transitions very smoothly outward. It is quite floody.

My only close comparison is my Fenix PD31, which I also really like. The PD31 has a more noticeable hot spot, a little less output. They both have their pros and cons. The PD31 is quite a bit smaller, multi mode, and lighter. The 9P has the feel you want to take to battle with you.

I would like to add 2 things:
- A crenellated or smooth bezel ring. Looking at the Oveready's but I want to keep it all USA just because. Any suggestions? Is it possible to get the bezel only from a Defender model? What material are those?
- A Z59 clicky switch.

That should round things out for me.

Thanks for all of the help here!

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally got one and love it!

I purchased a 9P and a Malkoff M91. Those two = awesome goodness. The feel oozes quality. The aluminum is finely machined, anodized, and quite thick. The Malkoff dropin is heavy and very nicely made. I'm very happy with the two so far.

The output is very nice. No real hot spot per say, it just transitions very smoothly outward. It is quite floody.

My only close comparison is my Fenix PD31, which I also really like. The PD31 has a more noticeable hot spot, a little less output. They both have their pros and cons. The PD31 is quite a bit smaller, multi mode, and lighter. The 9P has the feel you want to take to battle with you.

I would like to add 2 things:
- A crenellated or smooth bezel ring. Looking at the Oveready's but I want to keep it all USA just because. Any suggestions? Is it possible to get the bezel only from a Defender model? What material are those?
- A Z59 clicky switch.

That should round things out for me.

Thanks for all of the help here!

Congratulations! A 9P with a malkoff is single handedly, without a doubt in my mind, the absolute most rock solid, simple, most dependable, bomb proof light in existence. I am surprised however, that you say the output of your Fenix PD31 is "a little less" than the M91. But in any case enjoy the light, I think you probably understand what all the hype is about now.

Last edited:

lasermax

Newly Enlightened
To me only warranty is awsome and build quality is superb

E2dl
m6
E1b
Z2
M4
Get one or all of them a light you'll have for life

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am surprised however, that you say the output of your Fenix PD31 is "a little less" than the M91.

Shining the two lights back to back at the same objects numerous times I could tell that there was a difference. It just seemed minimal and certainly didn't make me say "wow". I think the PD31 is quite underrated and I really like it too.