Shock & Awe .. RRT-3 or other? $300 is about the limit

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to poll the audience on this subject, I've done some reading and watched some videos but wanted input from anyone who may have hands on... I have an S12 and an X10 and like both of them a lot. They would blow most non-flashaholics away with the size vs. output, however, much like a drug fiend, what was wow yesterday is just okay today.

I'd say that I can't justify more than $300 for a new light but was looking for something that isn't huge (SR90 type big) that uses rechargeables like 18650, etc. and that will give me a new high. I mean something that has the shock factor when I turn it on and that makes non flashoholics really go nuts. For reference, I think the above mentioned 4sevens lights are bright, I don't want to spend the money on another light unless it's noticeably brighter than either my X10 or S12.

I was looking at the RRT-3, The Olight SR51 or the Thrunite Catapult .. If I'm missing a good option please let me know. I was thinking about waiting to see what's going to happen with the Maelstrom S18. Today 4sevens told me that it would be out in the next 30 days and I believe that it is rated at 1200 lumens. I wonder how it will compare in all aspects to the RRT-3? I'm thinking they both us the same emitter and likely a similar battery setup. I don't have pricing on the S18 but hope that it would be at or below what I'm hoping to spend. Since I've not owned a Jetbeam I don't know how the 2 lights will compare as far as build quality, warranty, etc.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

jhn.holgate

Newly Enlightened
I spent a bit of time pondering the 'really bright light' question too. I have a Jetbeam RRT 1 and it is beautifully made. I particularly like the rotating ring - easy one handed operation. But I have to say while looking at beamshots (check out Goingprepared's flashlight shootout - he does all the main contenders) I wasn't convinced the RRT3 was giving 'bang for the buck'. It seemed to me that the Olight M3x had the best 'wow' beam, but I didn't like the fact it only had two modes. Fenix TK41 looked pretty impressive too. In the end, I went for the M3C4 single XM-L which I really, really like. Kills my Olight M30. I would suggest opening a couple of windows in your browser and compare goingprepared's beamshots against each other. It helped me a lot to be able to see what all the beams were like before I spent my hard earned. SR51 looked pretty tempting too....

HKJ

Flashaholic
RRT-3 is not any brighther than S12 or X10. To really get someting really brighther you need eiter 3xXM-L or a fully driven SST-90. That is lights like the S18, SR90, SR91, SR92 and TK70.
A thrower type light can be brightner, but will not send out more light, EagleTac M3C4 XM-L is a good candidate in this catagory.
I have a lot of comparisons between lights on my website, including the RRT-3, but it is some time ago I included it in comparisons.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Might want to take a look at some of the Elektro Lumens lights. I have the JETBeam RRT-3 and it is a really nice light, but based on your description above, I doubt that it is exactly what you are looking for. The FireSword-V is a bit above your budget ($399 for 3000 lumens), but would give you that "wow" factor.

There are a couple of other things that might be worth considering, as you ponder your purchase. Due to the logarithmic nature of light perception, doubling the output does not double the visual impact. I am not an expert, but have seen approximate estimates of a 40% increase in lumens for an easily detectible rise in brightness, and maybe ten times the output for an apparent doubling in brightness - just the way things work. Also, you can't just choose based on published numbers, since there are different ways of rating lumen output (emitter or "bulb" lumens, OTF or "out-the-front" lumens, etc, etc) and these vary quite a bit, though are now getting more standardized recently with the ANSI format. Finally, and especially with very high output lights, the shape of the beam will have a huge impact on how those lumens are perceived. For example - 1000 lumens spread out in a wide and diffuse flood is "bright", but may not seem as impressive as, say, 600 lumens focused into a tightly-thrown beam that can light up things hundreds of yards away.

EDIT: Another option might be to assemble a light with a Quad drop-in into a P60 host, but that would also be pushing your budget. For lumens beyond those choices, you would be looking at HID (and a lot more money).

Last edited:

Stephen Wallace

Enlightened
I received an e-mail regarding the S18 today. Price is $259.

You have 1200 OTF lumens. The battery holder is similar to that of the Surefire M6 - six CR123A primary batteries, or six RCR123 (16340) re-chargeables, arranged 2S3P. Appearance is similar to that of the S12, but longer. You have a clicky switch with push for momentary on or click to stay on. You have a rotary mode selector at the tail - high/medium/low/strobe/SOS. There is current regulation and thermal regulation.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
I think the tk70 fits the bill.

Shock and Awe? It's a big light. :)

Shock and Awe? 2200 lumens ... very impressive beamshots that i've seen.

Under 300 bucks? Yep. It retails 230 before coupons and after coupons i've seen it as low as ~ 205. 4xD NiMh batts is ~ 30-45 bucks and half-decent charger is 35 and up. I've seen the tk70 combo (light, 4xD batts and charger) for ~ 280ish before coupons.

AFKAN

Newly Enlightened
I've just got myself an RRT3 :huh:

I've had an RRT2 for the past year or so and it's been fantastic. The build quality is exceptional and it has a really nice "feel", plus I found the selection ring really worked for me :thumbsup:

So after spotting an offer, I picked up an RRT3. Now I have to admit I'm new to this mega flashlight stuff, but after a bit of a play last night I'm pretty impressed with my new toy :twothumbs

I still need to put it up against my RRT2 to see how well the RRT3 copes with throw etc as a comparison.

It makes my old 3D Maglite look like an antique and it's about half the length :eek:oo: and it destroys it on about setting 2 :eek:

I'm not sure if I'll get around to using the funky handle it came with, and I have to say there's not much call for the weapon mount function in the UK (unless you're planning on mounting it to a SuperSoaker :sigh: )

Obviously I'm easily pleased, not being quite the expert like most on here :( But with my so far limited experience, I'm very impressed :thumbsup:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I assume you want some throw and output as opposed to output only (since throw is usually more impressive). In that case skip the S18 and RRT3.

If you want decent throw, look to the M3C4 single XML or Catapult V3 (They leave the RRT3 in the dust and they both out throw my X10 by a lot). If you really want more throw, get a Lambda Lights VaraPower 3CXML. My Lambda 3CXML out-throws my M3C4 single XML and the Cat V3 but quite a lot and has quite a bit more output to boot. The TK70 should be great (I have one of those on the way too) but it is huge so you may want to skip that.

Last edited:

ntalbot

Enlightened
Mac's 3300L would do you nicely. 3300 emitter lumens, relatively small form factor. You will find it in the "Mac's Customs" section of the forum.

BTW I have no connection to Mac. I just admire his creations and hope to get one some day.

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
I got the S18 and I really am very happy with it. I would offer a word of advice on the S18 with 16340's though.. Only use AW's. At first I used another brand of 16340's and they were useless... The light ran for less than 5 minutes on high.

My RRT-3XML will be here tomorrow though and I am VERY excited about that. The guys over @ going gear said that it was a beast. The TK70 is just too large to be practical for me and I don't like the proprietary batteries of the big Olights (SR90, 91 & 92) I had the SR51 and it was bright but not crazy... Combine that with only two output levels and it was just a boring light. Also my SR51 had issues, when the light was bumped, say against your leg, etc. The emitter would flicker or turn off all together. I tried it with both the AW 16340's and AW 18650's and got the same result.

I'm excited about the RRT-3XML because it should have decent throw, good spacing between output levels and tons of flood... I don't need 4 football fields of throw on a regular basis, I personally find a light that can turn 100 yards in front of me into daylight to be more useful.

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
C&T, are you using AW RCR123s or AW IMR16340s? I would be curious to see how much your runtime would improve by using the IMRs. The IMRs give the same capacity as the RCRs at only 1A draw and should easily best the RCRs in the S18. :cool:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
If you want decent throw, look to the M3C4 single XML or Catapult V3

+1 on the Catapult. I've been using the V2 (SST-50) for over a year & would only be more happy with the V3. A very solid light with great throw & two levels that are goof proof. It's a light that cannot be beat for under $150.

ntalbot

Enlightened
So which do you like more? The S18 or the RRT-3?

I got the S18 and I really am very happy with it. I would offer a word of advice on the S18 with 16340's though.. Only use AW's. At first I used another brand of 16340's and they were useless... The light ran for less than 5 minutes on high.

My RRT-3XML will be here tomorrow though and I am VERY excited about that. The guys over @ going gear said that it was a beast. The TK70 is just too large to be practical for me and I don't like the proprietary batteries of the big Olights (SR90, 91 & 92) I had the SR51 and it was bright but not crazy... Combine that with only two output levels and it was just a boring light. Also my SR51 had issues, when the light was bumped, say against your leg, etc. The emitter would flicker or turn off all together. I tried it with both the AW 16340's and AW 18650's and got the same result.

I'm excited about the RRT-3XML because it should have decent throw, good spacing between output levels and tons of flood... I don't need 4 football fields of throw on a regular basis, I personally find a light that can turn 100 yards in front of me into daylight to be more useful.

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
Definitely the RRT-3... I only have to deal with 3 batteries as opposed to 6, it's smaller, brighter and has more output options. Hands down the JB is the winner in my book.