REVIEW: The 4Sevens Maelstrom S18 Tactical Flashlight

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
Re: REVIEW: The 4Sevens Maelstrom S18 Tactical Flashlight>>>>>>

Would love to hear some comments from the community on the review! :wave:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

I just read your review and watched most of the video. You're a good writer and since you are asking for feedback, I'll give you 4 critiques quickly that stood out.

1.) There didn't seem to be a lot of objective info that's not on 4 seven's web site. When reading a review on a product most of us know what the manufacturer says about it but we are reading the review to get unbiased thoughts on those claims or other issues that stick out. It is helpful though to see you putting the batteries in and changing levels on the video.

2.) I couldn't tell who it was written for on the continuum between flashlight dummies and flashaholics. If written for flashaholics you know we all love our stats and numbers – lux, lumens, degree K's, CRI etc. as well as how it compares to the competitors out there. But if written for newbies, there are some terms you should explain. I believe it would be possible with a few changes to make it a review that benefits the newbie more and at the same time holds the interest of the flashaholic more.

3.) I know nothing about camera's and taking pictures of hot spots but whatever you were doing it was really hard to see the difference between low and high – I'm assuming your camera was compensating for the amount of light automatically? One helpful part in the video was when you had both the tk12 and Maelstrom beam up at the same time.

4.) You are right it is a bit large to be pistol mounted! J Personally I probably would have avoided trying to answer the question why it is called a tactical light. It seemed you assumed (and I really did get a kick out of this) it is a tactical light for those with aversions to guns J. That's right… if you can't or won't carry a gun you can still use this light as your primary weapon to club someone on the head or break a few bones.
I could see keeping that part of the commentary the same if it was obvious you were being funny but my personal opinion is it didn't come across obvious enough and might fool someone. There was a line in the video something like it being a tactical light for the security guard who can't carry a weapon or the housewife… I think it's dangerous for anyone to have a false confidence in a flashlight as a defensive weapon. If someone tried to hit me with an S18 I would take it away from them. Being the really nice guy I am, I wouldn't hit them with it, and I probably even give it back, but that is not the case with everybody.

Hope those points weren't offensive. It was a good review and I appreciate you putting it up. Just giving my personal thoughts on things to improve in.

Rick

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened

I just read your review and watched most of the video. You're a good writer and since you are asking for feedback, I'll give you 4 critiques quickly that stood out.

2.) I couldn't tell who it was written for on the continuum between flashlight dummies and flashaholics.

Neither extreme actually - balanced content which was useful to all audiences was my goal. I think what separates my reviews from others is the quality of the photos and the videos. I'm not trying to be the one-stop-shop, be-all-end-all source of information, but rather provide another useful data point.

3.) I know nothing about camera's and taking pictures of hot spots but whatever you were doing it was really hard to see the difference between low and high – I'm assuming your camera was compensating for the amount of light automatically? One helpful part in the video was when you had both the tk12 and Maelstrom beam up at the same time.

Hmmm....might be an issue with your monitor. I've done about a dozen of these types of reviews and never heard a complaint in this regard.

4.) You are right it is a bit large to be pistol mounted! J Personally I probably would have avoided trying to answer the question why it is called a tactical light. It seemed you assumed (and I really did get a kick out of this) it is a tactical light for those with aversions to guns J. That's right… if you can't or won't carry a gun you can still use this light as your primary weapon to club someone on the head or break a few bones.
I could see keeping that part of the commentary the same if it was obvious you were being funny but my personal opinion is it didn't come across obvious enough and might fool someone. There was a line in the video something like it being a tactical light for the security guard who can't carry a weapon or the housewife… I think it's dangerous for anyone to have a false confidence in a flashlight as a defensive weapon. If someone tried to hit me with an S18 I would take it away from them. Being the really nice guy I am, I wouldn't hit them with it, and I probably even give it back, but that is not the case with everybody.

I was being entirely serious. It wouldn't be my first choice as a weapon either, but that doesn't change what it was designed to do or who it might appeal to. The relative skills of both the attacker and defender aren't really relevant to my discussion. In the right hands, that flashlight would do damage to you or anyone else. Against the right attacker, it could be taken away - it's all relative.

Hope those points weren't offensive. It was a good review and I appreciate you putting it up. Just giving my personal thoughts on things to improve in.

OK - thanks Rick.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the review. Great quality HD video. I was unable to see any difference between low, medium, and high modes in the video. I could see the camera adjusting settings to the output of the light.

One question: Does the light have as bad of a donut hole as I saw in the video or was that due to the camera auto adjusting ISO and white balance?

Last edited:

Bass

Enlightened

Nice video, I like your stuff - a little too long sometimes but good content. I would guess some folks see that the videos are 10-15 minues long and click off, which is a shame. This might explain the lower than expected feedback?

A point regarding the beam shots, you need to shoot in manual exposure, not auto. This is why the differences are hard to see, the camera is correcting the exposure. Manual exposure will fix this. Not sure what gear you are using? DSLR?

I'm sure you are aware of Marshall's videos from Goinggear; although his are sales orientated and not really 'reviews' they are technically excellent. All done in manual exposure so you can directly compare the beams. Us sad Flashaholics love that stuff :laughing:

Keep up the good work!

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened

OK - that's good advice. I am using a DSLR and will shoot in manual mode.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Its nice that you took the time to make your great video. I know the beamshots are always the part I skip to but I'm sure most viewers enjoy explanation of ui etc. Since you don't mind suggestions I will tell you that my favorite is a 100 m or further beamshot in manual mode. If you always use the same target from the same distance it with the camera on the same settings comparisons can be really usefull.

I appreciate the time you took whether you'd care to use my suggestions or not. Its YOUR video so what do I know.

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened

Its nice that you took the time to make your great video. I know the beamshots are always the part I skip to but I'm sure most viewers enjoy explanation of ui etc. Since you don't mind suggestions I will tell you that my favorite is a 100 m or further beamshot in manual mode. If you always use the same target from the same distance it with the camera on the same settings comparisons can be really usefull.

I appreciate the time you took whether you'd care to use my suggestions or not. Its YOUR video so what do I know.

I think that's certainly a worthwhile suggestion - I know I don't have a 100m back yard, or access to any other 100m facility at night. Perhaps others do.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

(link to a website)

Enjoy, and please let me know your thoughts on this review and the flashlight!

post it up ITT (I left cpf earlier, I'll probably leave it again later).

:tinfoil:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened

I feel like I'm in college public speaking class... "Great job John! Saw a lot of good things there and we got some good feedback there as well... Allright whose next?"

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened

I feel like I'm in college public speaking class... "Great job John! Saw a lot of good things there and we got some good feedback there as well... Allright whose next?"

I appreciate the kind words! :)

LowFlux

Enlightened

ITT = In This Thread

Meaning post the review here instead of off-site.

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened

ITT = In This Thread

Meaning post the review here instead of off-site.

There are several reasons I don't "ITT" - I have much better control over how the photos are displayed, as well as copyright protection by displaying them on my own site. The end result for the reader is a better experience. :grin2: