what 2x or 1x CR123 LED light next to my SF E2e?

Ted

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I recently got an SF E2e HA which I really like. Used it last weekend while hiking at dark, and it has proven very usefull in lighting up a forest to find a trail and illuminating other parts of the landscape.
But, after some use, I see that the beam is getting a bit yellow, meaning I should change batteries otherwise I might ruin my LA.
But these batteries still have usefull power left.
So I'm looking for a LED light, in the 10-20 lumens range so that I can drain them without worrying about the LA. I don't want to spend more then $100, preferably less.

I'm looking at the following:

SureFire L1 - handy, because I then can have both at the same time, but will I get any high-beam output with partly used batteries? or will it go to low-beam straight away?

SureFire KL1 for my E2e - probably some maximum output left, but I would be having to change the head in field...

Arc LS - probably an option, but I'm totally lost in all the different types and version of this light that have been released recently.
Would an LS-L or LS-L Premium be an option?

All input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ted

Catapult

Enlightened
The SureFire KL1 should be your best bet. It has the lowest price tag of your list there. Changing heads with one E2e body in the field should not be a problem. It's real easy, and it takes up less space.

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the Arc ahould be a companion for the Surefire. It is small enough that you can carry both. Use the Arc will less guilt and use the surefire when the reach is needed. You will find you usually do not need to reach of the surefire. just pull the batteries from the surefire when they are no up to snuff and you got more Arc food. This also gives you a quick bright less bright option.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't think anything bad happens to the LA if you let the beam get yellow. Anyone know more about that? If that's your main concern, rather than buy an additional light, maybe you want to sell/trade your E2e for an L4.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: what 2x or 1x CR123 LED light next to my SF E

For it to yellow a bit, it's okay. For it to yellow a lot, it's no good, cos the halogen cycle need a high temperature to work and if the light is too yellow, it's not hot enough, and so the lamp life is reduced.

onelight

Enlightened

How about the inova X5T ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened

Streamlight TL-2. My personal favorite light at the moment. I need a fair amount of throw and of flood and ythe TL-2 performs extremely well. I now carry only the TL-2 and the ever infamous ARC AAA.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nerd is correct, don't run it too yellow.

Best is to do exactly as you propose replace the batteries and use them in an LED light.

Cheapest route is a KL1 head, I've seen them for $55-$60
The next thing is an ARC-LS series

My vote would be for the ARC, if you can spare that cash. I think those two lights would satisfy 90% of my needs

GregR

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
JonSidneyB said:
I think the Arc ahould be a companion for the Surefire. It is small enough that you can carry both...

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed,

You wouldn't want to EDC less than two immediately functional lights and you certainly don't want to be out in the woods with only one light functional at a given time. Field changing MNO3/KL1 is easier and safer than some but I don't want to do any field changing on a trail at night if I can avoid it, though it's always smart to take along an extra incandescent lamp just in case.

Use your LED for 90% and your bright incandescent as a spotter when necessary. They will perfectly complement each other and you'll get maximum life from them. For runtime I prefer my LED light to be 2x123 or 2xAA (lithium if possible unless you use it every day in which case NiMH or alkalines is the way to go).

Brightnorm

RevDavid

Enlightened
Check out the TW4... it will also allow you to move the KL4 head onto your E2E body, converting it into an L4... a lot brighter and smoother flood than the Arc. It will cost just a little more, I think, but you will have a lot more versatility, and a beam more to your liking if you are an E2E fan.

I use all three, and I love them.

David <><

Ted

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys for all the info and confirmation of my initial plan.
I'm gonna try an Arc LSL ($65 currently at Arc LLC). A bit more expensive then a KL1, but then I'll have all lights ready. Should make a nice set with my Arc-AAA Prem.

Thanks again,
Ted

Nathan S

Newly Enlightened
My vote would go to the Arc LS. They are just too cool not to have one.

Somebody mentioned the Inova 5x. My experience with the 5x has not been good. Several of the ones I bought had flickering or dimming problems. I sent one back, and it was promptly substituted with a new 5x. Unfortunately, the substitute had flickering problems, too. This pretty much soured me on Inova products.

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
I used to use old batteries from 9P, 6P, and E2 in my ARC SLS and E1/KL1. Then I bought the L4 and tried to put used up batteries from the L4 into the Arc and E1/KL1. One barely lit(1/10 of my ARC AAA-LE) and the other made no light. So if you want to get all the juice, check out the L4 or TW4. You can't go wrong with the ARC either though.
imgadgetman

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

I know this is a bit late, but I would suggest the SF L1. The upside on the L1 is the two brightness levels. I carry a SF M2 and the SF L1 and I find I hardly need to pull out the M2. The other big things is I find I use the L1 on low setting most of the time. It excellent runtime on low mode and you should be able to get the most out of batteries in this mode.

I think the Arc-LS4 would be better than the L1, mostly because it is smaller and you have even more control, but it doesn't sound like it will be ready until next year.

-john

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Ted
If you are going to get a ARC LS you might want to get a ARC AAA at the same time to save on shipping. A E2e,ARC LS, & a ARC AAA were my EDC for a while(this was a great combination). I now EDC a A2,ARC LSH-P,ARC AAA. I think you will be very happy with a E2e & a ARC LS. My ARC LSH-P gets used 90% of the time. I use my ARC AAA more than my E2e or my A2. The L1 is a nice light also, but it is almost as big as the E2e.

Ted

Newly Enlightened

Hoghead,
I already have an Arc-AAA Lim.Edition... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif;)
Should indeed make a nice set now:

Arc-AAA
Arc-LSL
SF E2e HA

Ted

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Ted
I think you'll be very happy with this combination of lights for EDC. My changing from the E2e to the A2 was to gain the regulated incandescent and the long runtime of the three LEDs. The A2 is a little to long for me to comfortably carry it in my front pants pocket. The E2e fits in the pocket just fine. The E2e has a definite size advantage over the A2 for pocket carry. However I carry them in a holster anyway.
You might want to buy a lot of batteries from ARC when you order. The Surefire batteries are rated better than the ones that ARC sells, but in use I don't notice the difference.