Armytek Predator - Please help, stuck in weird firefly mode!

Cavannus

Newly Enlightened
Hi Armytek owners,

I'm stuck with a problem (or a bug) on my brand new Armytek Predator (V.1.2): it remains in weird firefly modes (i.e. steady or beacon-like extremely dim output) whatever I try to do.

Note

My batteries (2 x IMR RCR123) are recent and charged (4.18V).

My level of expertise ;)

I've figured out what Lines 1 and 2 are (tightening or loosening the head) and how to change the level of each of both lines (quick turn and back to previous state within 1 sec).
I was also able to display the voltage (great feature BTW).

I felt I was ready to play with setup features! So, i tried to do so a couple of times, without success, then tried again :

What I did

- I wanted to edit the brightness level in Line 2.
- So I turned the flashlight on in Level 2 (head loosened) (AFAIR it was in strobe mode, not sure though) then entering into setup menu (by tightening the head for 1 sec then loosening it and quickly turning the lamp off and on).
- I had one blink, so I quickly tightened then loosened the head to enter the first menu item.
- Then I don't remember what I did, but I switched into strobe mode whose frequency stepped from 1 to 50 Htz (I could pause the stepping by tightening the head).

So I after a full cycle from 1 to 50 Hz, the second cycle started: I tried to select a frequency so I quickly tightened then immediately loosen the head.

:confused:

At this time "something" happened and I couldn't escape this "weird firefly mode".

What happens now

Let me describe what I'm doing and seeing while typing this post:

1. I turn my flashlight on, the head is tightened.
-> The led chip is on but extremely dim (I can see some dark lines on the chip).

2. I switch into Line 2 by loosening the head.
-> Nothing happens.

3. I switch into Line 1 by tightening the head.
-> The led blinks once from extremely dim to a-bit-less-extremely-dim, then does it again once after a few seconds, then remains steady.

4. I change the brightness level of Line 1 by quickly loosening then tightening the head within 1 sec.
-> Nothing happens.

Etc.

I also tried to enter the setup menu:
I turn the light on in Line 2, then tighten the head, wait for 2-3 sec, loosen the head, the quickly (within 1 sec) turn the lamp off/on.
-> The led blinks 3 times in very dim mode, then is dim steady for approx. 3 sec, then very dimly flashes once, then remains steady and of course extremely dim.

I have also removed the battery, charged then again, tried CR123's, cleaned the contacts. No result.

So?...

Who can tell me what happened? what can I do? Is it a bug?

Is there a hard reset?

Should I cry and go bed?

Thanks!

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did it ever work on full brightness (since you've had it)?

Do you have 2 CR123 primaries to try in there just in case it's a battery issue?

I don't have that light so hopefully someone who does will respond in case it's a programming issue.

Does the emitter look normal when it's turned off or is there some brown coloration to it?

ienov

Newly Enlightened
If you can't access the setup menu,than you can't reset to factory settings.I think you should try with different batteries may be CR123A or 18650,aand if this thoesn't help contact with Armytek.I have Predator G109.01 ,and it's bin fine so far.I've red about some problem that can be fixed by buy Armytek only,but i don't know if you have the same problem.

Cavannus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your answers. Yes, it worked a full brightness before I tried to customize the settings; yes I tried CR123's.
I contacted them and wait for a reply, so I'll keep you informed.

firelord777

Enlightened
Hey canavus, im pretty sure i saw you over at cpfmp, so, the predator very dim light is called the firefly i believe. There Are three fireflies, 0.1 lumens, 0.5 lumens, and iirc, 1.5 lumens. As for your problem, i will be honest, i do not know what is the problem, but what i suggest you do is you go into the item to reset the lines how they came. I think it was item 3, 1. Is military, then two blinks is outdoors, then third is custom. After resetting it, if the problems
Persists, then wait until armytek responds, they'll figure something out. Hope this helps buddy, and dont forget to tell us how it goes.

ienov

Newly Enlightened
I am sure that item 2 is for reset,but the question is can you access setup menu,the manual describes it verry good.
Entering the Setup Menu: before this procedure, the flashlight must be turned on in any mode of the Second Line.
1. Hold the head of the flashlight with your left hand.
2. With your right hand turn the body of the flashlight clockwise to the maximum. Wait until the switch to the First Line
(approx. 1 second).
3. Quickly (within 3 seconds):
l With your right hand turn the body of the flashlight to 1/8..1/4 (of the full turn) counter-clockwise.
l Turn the flashlight off/on with a full pressing of the button.
Indication in the Setup Menu: after accessing the menu the flashlight will indicate cyclically the number of the current item or
the option number using blinking indication. For example, if the flashlight flashes 2 times, then this is item #32 or option #2.

Item 2. Reset to Factory Defaults and Custom Preset Saving
1. Military - by default
2. Outdoor
3. Custom

Cavannus

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your help.

Armytek accepts a return and they'll send me another flashlight. They didn't give me any feedback about my problem; however I think this is a bug because I can no longer access programmation and the "firefly" mode is not the steady one I saw in Line 2, this is a flickering one with a few random blinks.

firelord777

Enlightened
Maybe it was just a rare defect, just speculating. Glad youll get another one though, best wishes, firelord777

Cavannus

Newly Enlightened
Finally the Armytek customer service sent me a new flashlight while I sent them back the bugged one.
No question (they trusted me), quick reply, perfect service!
Thank you Armytek and thank you CPF members :)

So I could sucessfully program my replacement Predator and the latter works very well!

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my replacement as well. They sent me the OP reflector instead of the smooth but I like the beam so I am keeping it. I put a 47s tailcap boot and adjusted the boot spacer so it can tail stand.

toscani

Newly Enlightened
I have a similar problem. My predator v2 is always switching to .5 lm firefly mode after 1 second, whatever mode it is in. Exept when it is in the strobe mode.
My flashlight is 2 days old and it worked ok until today.
Has anybody got a clue or should i contact Armytec and ask for a replacement.
Thanks in advance.