My dinosaurs

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello everyone,

Been a long time since I posted here. Yes, I'm still a flash-o-holic at heart but it's been a while. How long, you say? Well, my collection includes:

Thor (10M Candlepower beast)
Mag 85's
HDS EDC 60 Ultimate XRGT (lost my Ultimate 85 on the golf course:sick2:)
MiniHID
Acro X990 HID
McLux something-or-other
Lioncub
Stealthlight (lighting phonebooks on fire)
Surefire E2L with KL1 and KL4 heads.
Surefire M6 (modified with some massive output bulb)
Gladius Night Ops
Elektrolumens XM-3
Elektrolumens Tri-Star Phaser (or some name like that)
Original Orb RAW
Spy 05 or something like that.
Various custom one-off stuff

Now when I read these boards, I see so many lights that I've never heard of that output way more than when I was a more active member. HDS lights outputting 200 lumens??? AA lights with 135 lumens??? Crazy, I tell you. And all of this at reasonable prices. Looks like I could upgrade a few lights.

I see McGizmo and 4Sevens are still around. Good to see you guys still cranking out great lights! Sasha is now going by Greta. Good to see you still keeping things together.

Missed you all. Just wanted to let you know I still think about you and stop in once in a while.

Jeff

Last edited:

ragweed

Enlightened
Glad to see you back even though I joined a lot later than you. If they work ok, I would not get more lights unless you want a power light. I can get by with 10 lumen's anything else is icing on the cake for me.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an EL XM-3. I was thinking that I could probably find someone to trick it up to maybe ten times its output. The wall thickness is so great it could easily be punched out for cr123s.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have a Peak Shasta that put's out less light than those free keychain lights that Lighthound gives away.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right now I'm eyeballing the new HDS EDC 200 lumen rotary clicky. That should be a nice replacement for the old U60 XRGT I have. I also am intrigued by 4Sevens Quark AA lights.

nbp

Flashaholic
Welcome back!

You have some cool stuff there, they don't lose their usefulness just because they're older; now they're collectible!

But it certainly doesn't hurt to add a few new lights to the collection either, just to keep things interesting. :devil:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I own lights you never heard of and you own lights I never heard of....

nice of you to drop by!

Meganoggin

Enlightened
Modified M6? Still not much to challenge it! And still the best looking light on the planet.

Nice to see you back.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back! It's nice to see another screen name I recognize. I just came back to CPF last fall after a 4 year lay off.

I was shocked to see how much LED technology had advanced. My most advanced lights were using the old Luxeon I & III's. The only multi-mode light I owned was an Aleph 2.

I sold off most of my LED dinosaurs in the MarketPlace (which didn't exist last time I was around) & picked up a few cool new lights. Now I am trying to slow down, catch my breath, & enjoy my new lights.

Luckily, I came to my senses & kept my old favorite Arc-AAA. I think there is a still a place of some old favorite "dinosaurs".

Anyway, enjoy yourself - look around & get some cool new stuff but don't forget to hang on to some of those old favorites.
treek

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...] I just came back to CPF last fall after a 4 year lay off.

I was shocked to see how much LED technology had advanced. My most advanced lights were using the old Luxeon I & III's. The only multi-mode light I owned was an Aleph 2.

[...]

Whoa, that's like stepping out of the desert after a few years and find out half the population moved to Mars!! I can't imagine the shock you must have had from Luxeon to XP-G

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, those X-bin Luxeons was the big dog then.

(insert t-rex roar here) :grin2:

Jeff

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember my first Luxeons... I though I had bought the best of the best on the planet and would never need another flashlight again... ~30 flashlights and thousands of $$ later, I know I'll never be there. If someone had shown me a TK70 back then I might have fainted, then drooled my way over to see it up close and then bought a dozen.

radu1976

Enlightened
Here are my dinos :
- black INOVA XO3 TIROS
- titanium INOVA XO3 TIROS NIP
- titanium INOVA XO TIROS
- INOVA T2 TIROS
- INOVA T3 TIROS with white L.E.D.
- INOVA T3 TIROS with blue L.E.D.
- FENIX P1CE Q2 - one stage, perfectly regulated for 1:45 hrs with one primary CR123 .
Do I also have to mention my T1 and T5 TIROS sold some time ago ?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi xpitxbullx,

Welcome back!

By the time I joined luxeons were still in use but going out of style. I am pretty familiar with most of the lights on your list. When I arrived Mag85 ( along with many other incans) was a must have for all members.

Any way just to give you an idea of what the world has become in the past 2 years or so because of the leap in LED tech. 200 lumens is a good jump for an HDS, but there are mods that can be done for them now that are out of this world. For example, an RA clickie with a U2 bin Cree XM-L and a driver swap for LFlex ( LFlex is a momentary driver like the HDS uses with multilevel ramping brightness) set to 3-3.5 amp puts you just under the 1000 lumen mark.

I definitely encourage you to look into the 4Sevens AA lights. My Quark AA2 is one of my very favorite and is probly my most used.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
1000 lumens out of an HDS! These new LEDs can really crank them out. I almost bought a Quark but opted for the Sunwayman V10A because of the magnetic variable dial.

I'm really fighting the urge to buy everything I'm seeing. IT'S SO HARD!!

Jeff