Red Filter for Nitecore D10 or IFE 1

kalifornian

Newly Enlightened
It seems that the Nitecore Red Filter & Diffuser Set for the D10 is out of stock everywhere I looked.

Is there an alternative red filter that will fit the Nitecore D10 or the Nitecore IFE1? I will mostly use it when setting up astronomy equipment on dark nights.

Thanks.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd like one for my D11.2, which may be the same size. Usually I just find a plastic cap that works, but this size seems tough to find.

Geoff

Moonshadow

Enlightened
If it's any comfort, the Nitecore filter isn't really red enough for astronomy use. As is often the case with stock filters, they can't bring themselves to make them red enough because that also makes it darker, so it's more of an orangey-red.

I modified mine with some darker red filter gel and diffused it with magic tape and it is now really useful for astronomy. Having the variable output is a must. If you can get your hands on some filter gel, you can make a slip-on filter quite easily with a roll of cardboard and some tape.

kalifornian

Newly Enlightened
If it's any comfort, the Nitecore filter isn't really red enough for astronomy use. As is often the case with stock filters, they can't bring themselves to make them red enough because that also makes it darker, so it's more of an orangey-red.

I modified mine with some darker red filter gel and diffused it with magic tape and it is now really useful for astronomy. Having the variable output is a must. If you can get your hands on some filter gel, you can make a slip-on filter quite easily with a roll of cardboard and some tape.

Are you referring to the filter gels that is used in photography?

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes - the sort of thing used for photography or from arts and craft shops. One small sheet will do lots of flashlights.

kalifornian

Newly Enlightened
I found a solution for the Nitecore IFE1 (works for the IFE2 as well). I used the Mini Maglite AA Accessory kit which includes a red, blue and clear lenses. The older kits had an amber lens instead of the clear. The lens holder is a hair larger than the bezels but a small rubber band solves that problem.

P1010736.jpg

Latest posts