nick in new light --what would you do?

There is a tiny scratch, or unfinished nick in your brand new fenix pd31. Would you..

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

duro

Enlightened
Okay, so it's bugging me a little bit...leaves me wondering how it got there....

I ordered a fenix pd31 the other week and noticed there is a small nick on the flashlight. It's located near the bezel ring and almost looks like it's just a part that did not get anodized. I emailed the retailer and told them it was annoying me, but that I didn't really want to go through the hassle of sending it back, and that I just wanted to document it; in case I change my mind. The retailer apologized and offered me like a 10 percent discount towards my next purchase. I bought a jetbeam bc-10 and saved about 6 bucks. Well, it's bugging me still..

The nick is about the size of a pin head. I figure it's okay..but I did spend 70 bucks on the light and it's likely to get banged up one day anyway...

What would you do, live with it?

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Although anoying, I don't suspect you purchased the light to be jewelry. Use the light. Enjoy the beam and the UI.
If the retailer already gave you a discount on another light, it would not be fair to them to send it back in now as well, as they gave the discount to make up for the light having the missing ano.

yowzer

Enlightened
I've gotten a couple of new lights with minor anodizing flaws like that, and while it's annoying, it usually doesn't take much time before I put enough nicks and dings of my own on it from just normal carry and use that you can't tell that one came with the light.

goose2283

Newly Enlightened
My new SR51 came with a tiny nick in the anodizing. It really doesn't bother me, as it's a user and not a shelf queen. It's just the first of many scratches.

Flint&Steel

Newly Enlightened
The Land of Beautiful Women, Fast Horses, and Smoo
Although anoying, I don't suspect you purchased the light to be jewelry. Use the light. Enjoy the beam and the UI.

I've gotten a couple of new lights with minor anodizing flaws like that, and while it's annoying, it usually doesn't take much time before I put enough nicks and dings of my own on it from just normal carry and use that you can't tell that one came with the light.

What they said :) You'll give it plenty of "love" marks through general usage. Scars add character. As long as the light functions properly, a nick of missing ano is no big deal. Use it and enjoy it!

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you plan on actually carrying and using the light, then a nick is trivial compared to what is to come. I carry my lights every day and the weathered look with worn-out anodizing gives them much more rugged look and feel--like prestige that can only be gained with time and usage.

IMAG0096.jpg

Look at this Quark AA Tactical;

It does NOT sit inside a shelf, rotting itself away due to lack of USE.

It does NOT need to look pretty because it is not a decoration.

It has PROVEN itself to be able to stand up to ABUSE and I know that it will not quit on me before I say so.

This is NOT a puppy that keeps you amused--when this dog barks it means it has a JOB to do.

When I feed it fresh batteries it is because it has EARNED it.

THIS, gentlemen, is a MAN'S light.

Last edited:

duro

Enlightened
haha. nice pic. Yeah, I figured as much. It's annoying to notice an imperfection on something brand new because it makes you think; what else is wrong, quality control might not be there for this particular product, etc...

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the light is going to sit on a shelf or you're a collector, then maybe it would make sense to get an exchange. Otherwise, the light is going to get used, and sooner or later, more damage will show up. I would be annoyed, but the 10% offer is generous and enough to keep me satisfied. :)

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
It would **** me off a bit as had almost the same issue before. It is my job to beat on gear and should come looking new. But after the first few hits the issue doesn't matter. Just live with it and embrace entropy.

purelite

Enlightened
yeah you took the 10% so its a done deal anyway. My love affair just got knocked off the nightstand last night. not only did it mar the finish but it dented the floor!!!!!! oh well!!

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always found that the first dent/scratch/ding/scuff mark is the worst one, after that, "signs of use" are just character marks. Look at it this way, you have a light that is unique in the universe...there is not another exactly like it ANYWHERE. You will always know you are looking at YOUR light, even if you lose it and find it later in a "lost and found" box somewhere, you'll see that imperfection and will KNOW that light belongs to you. Kinda cool I think.

Now on the other hand, if this light is a show piece, and you would rather keep it perfect, then take a black Magic Marker, and dab that little spec of bare aluminum and it will basically vanish, and you're the only one that will know the difference. The 10% should help you live with it.

@ enomosiki, very well said, and I think your light is beautiful! You should post it HERE, in my favorite thread. :poke:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I'm proud of you CPF. As of my post, the vote is 26 to 0 in favor of keeping the light and dealing with the nick. In a blind poll!

That doesn't make it any easier to deal with a new light with a flaw however. I feel you OP.

Just go outside, use the light, and by the time you do that a few times you'll have all kinds of other "character marks". Enjoy!

Diablo_331

Enlightened
If you plan on actually carrying and using the light, then a nick is trivial compared to what is to come. I carry my lights every day and the weathered look with worn-out anodizing gives them much more rugged look and feel--like prestige that can only be gained with time and usage.

IMAG0096.jpg

Look at this Quark AA Tactical;

It does NOT sit inside a shelf, rotting itself away due to lack of USE.

It does NOT need to look pretty because it is not a decoration.

It has PROVEN itself to be able to stand up to ABUSE and I know that it will not quit on me before I say so.

This is NOT a puppy that keeps you amused--when this dog barks it means it has a JOB to do.

When I feed it fresh batteries it is because it has EARNED it.

THIS, gentlemen, is a MAN'S light.

Very well said! This^^

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a bit on the anal OCD side so it would bug the heck out of me personally. Regardless, my suggestion is to do what I read others here do - take it and put a few more dings in it and you'll never know which was the first one.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just figure it this way. You already got that first nick on the light taken care of for you so you don't have to kick yourself for putting the first nick in it ;)

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just figure it this way. You already got that first nick on the light taken care of for you so you don't have to kick yourself for putting the first nick in it ;)

I meant to put that in my post...very good point.

I actually buy beaters on the Marketplace just so I won't feel bad about that first scratch, and I get to try "buzz" flashlights for a cheaper price.

choombak

Enlightened
In fact it is a good idea to have a nick, so that you don't "baby-sit" your light too much. Its like getting the first scratch on your car - until then you are worried if the wind is strong to put a scratch or a dent, but once it is there, you actually use it. So I will just keep the light since I am planning to use it anyway, as long as there are no functional defects.

Ian2381

Enlightened
most post here is true, made me love my light more after a few dings as I got to take and use it anywhere without hesitation.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
I don't start to enjoy a 'light until after that first nick / chip / ding - Start to pick it up without hesitation and use it as its' maker intended; and let's face it, a pin head is not exactly a 'ring barking'!

You could, if you find it distracting, grab a fine felt tip pen (sharpie) and fill in the anodizing. 3 or 4 dabs letting it dry between applications and that the area to be coated is clean and dry before you start and chances are you will forget all about the nick!

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.