Any Way to Whiten a Warm Beam?

JNieporte

Enlightened
I have a few lights with "warm" tints and they look like incandescents. Is there any way (without tampering with the electronics or removing the LED) to make the beam whiter?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a blue filter, but note that brightness will decrease. Best bet would be to just sell it and get another light.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spray paint those LED's white.

NOOOO! just kidding but really there is no good way without losing Lumens and warm tints are normally well below white tints in output so just swap emitters is best and it will not only be whiter but brighter by probably 20 to 30%

kramer5150

Flashaholic
filtering is your answer, Blue filters added to warm tints will make them more pale. Filters absorb light though so you'll be cutting emitter lumens. Automotive bulb manufacturers do this all the time with incan lamps.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use a blue filter, but note that brightness will decrease. Best bet would be to just sell it and get another light.
Though it may sound silly.... this really IS the answer.

You can get a wonderful filter sample pack from Lee Filters:
http://www.shop.leefiltersusa.com/S...3CFAEE01D9FB076F1574622719D679B2.qscstrfrnt02

Each of those filters is 1.5" x 2.75", and there are hundreds to choose from! That's the best $2 you can spend. I usually start with a cool white light and add a suitable orange or yellow filter, but it will work for you by adding a blue filter.

The best thing is to cut the filter to the size of your front glass cover, then open the bezel and place the filter INSIDE, behind the glass. That way it won't get all scratched up or lost, and the procedure is completely reversible if you decide you don't like it.

That swatch book has MANY different shades of many different colors, so you'll be able to get EXACTLY the tint you want. I've filtered ALL of my lights, and the difference in the quality of the light is amazing.

Of course this might be to much trouble for some folks, so selling the light on B/S/T is the other option.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Colour temperature blue (CTB) filter gel will do it for u
Available in full 1/2 and 1/4 strength
I would start with the 1/4 strength

CTB filters are used to convert tungsten coloured (3200k) light to daylight (6200ish k)
If you want to go the other way (daylight to tungsten) you need a CTO (colour temp orange)

Both Lee and Rosco do filter gel packs, they normally include diffusion gels too