4sevens Maelstrom S18 Review with OTF Lumens and Beamshots

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a production version 4sevens Maelstrom S18 here for review.

The S18 is the newest addition to 4Sevens' Maelstrom series of lights. This light was sent to me by 4sevens for review purposes.

Here are the specs for the S18. These were taken from 4sevens' website:
Specifications

"Dimensions:
Length: 9.3 in
Diameter (Body): 1.8 in
Diameter (Head): 2.48 in
Weight (without batteries): 24.5 oz
Battery Compatibility: 6xCR123A (single-use) or 6xRCR123A (rechargeable) batteries.
Operating Voltage Range: 4.5V~8.4V
Outputs and Runtimes:
(runtimes are to 50% output)
Low: 80 lumens, 17.5 hours
Medium: 400 lumens, 3.5 hours
High: 1200 lumens, 0.6 hours
Strobe: 1200 lumens, 1.5 hours
S.O.S.: 2.5 hours
Body Material: Type-III hard-anodized aircraft-grade aluminum
Bezel Material: Stainless steel strike-Bezel
Lens Material: Optical-grade hardened glass lens with external sapphire coating to resist scratches and internal anti-reflective coating to maximize real output
Reflector: Precision-machined and highly polished smooth reflector
Water Resistance: IPX-8
Included Accessories: Holster, instruction manual, 6xCR123A batteries, and spare o-rings

Operation

Operating the Maelstrom S18 flashlight is intuitively simple. First ensure that all six batteries are installed correctly in the battery handle**. To access the battery handle, unscrew the tailcap in front of the red o-ring, where the five mode icons are engraved. The battery handle is permanently attached to the tailcap, so please remove it carefully.

Once you have installed the batteries and tightened the tailcap, press the metal button on the back until it clicks and the light will turn on. You can also press the button lightly for momentary-on. To change modes, simply rotate the back of the tailcap to align the engraved arrow with the icon of the mode you want.

** Note: Please always reload the Maelstrom S18 with brand new CR123As. Never mix-and-match CR123As with different brands or with unknown or different remaining capacities. We recommend that you use high quality 4Sevens CR123A cells in the S18. If you are using RCR123A (rechargeables), please ensure they are all the same brand/type and are all fully charged."

First off, the S18 comes with its own case, which is a first from 4sevens. It's quite nice, and has cutout's for the light and holster to fit perfectly and stationary inside the case. The case itself is plastic, while the trim pieces, hinges and latches are metal.

DSC01765.jpg

DSC01766.jpg

DSC01779-1.jpg

DSC01780.jpg

DSC01781.jpg

Pictured below is everything that's included when you purchase one of these lights(forgot to take pictures of the provided CR123 primaries, but they are included with the light):

DSC01761.jpg

DSC01767.jpg

Now for the light itself:

DSC01754.jpg

DSC01757.jpg

The integrated battery holder, which makes the batteries a 2s3p battery pack as a whole. For those of you who don't know, that means 2 series, 3 parallel. You can also see how to switch modes in these images. Each mode has an icon and you simply twist the rear half of the tail cap in either direction until the arrow points towards the icon that represents the mode you wish to enter:

DSC01770.jpg

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

DSC01774.jpg

DSC01775.jpg

Here's the tail cap switch/button:

DSC01776.jpg

And the business end with the mounted SST-90 :grin2::

DSC01778.jpg

DSC01779.jpg

And a couple of pictures of the light in the supplied holster:

DSC01768.jpg

DSC01769.jpg

Here's a size comparison image. From left to right- X10, SR51, S18 and the SR91.

DSC01760.jpg

Now it's time for some comparison beam shots against my garage door. All lights were in their highest mode, and all camera settings remained the same for each beam shot taken, and I set the white balance to auto, since we're not comparing tint here, just beam shape. Distance from each light to my garage door is roughly 17ft.

These are .gif's, which I believe help to see the difference between each light better. If you're using a mobile device you may not be able to see the .gif's work properly. If you're viewing it properly you should see two images switching back and forth with each beam shot. Certain browsers also have trouble viewing these:

First off, the S18 compared to the SR91:

S18-High-vs-SR91-High.gif

Next up is the S18 compared to the SR51:

S18-High-vs-SR51-High-No-Diffuser.gif

And the S18 compared to the X10:

S18-High-vs-X10-High.gif

I was able to take some long range beam shots last night. They are not perfect. Bugs kept flying towards my lights, and this can be seen in most of the images. All camera settings remained the same for each image taken. White balance was set to auto. Distance from lights to tree is roughly 90 to 100 yards. NOTE: These images are over exposed. At these distances it has to be done to show the beam profile correctly. The brightness of these images is brighter than the light actually is at these distances. Don't expect these lights to be this bright at these distances in person.

S18 vs SR91

S18-vs-SR91.gif

S18 vs SR51

S18-vs-SR51-No-Diffuser.gif

S18 vs X10

S18-vs-X10.gif

Now it's time for some OTF lumen data. If you've seen my X10 review then you're aware of my testing methods. Basically the S18 has thermal regulation like the X10, so I'm testing different cooling methods to gather and post data showing the difference in lumen output by keeping the light from thermally regulating itself, and also showing that there is a loss in run time because of this. I'm still testing, but here are my results thus far:

The first graph is of OTF lumens using CR123 primary batteries and holding the light in what I call a 'regular' holding position. This is how I expect most users to hold this light while in use. Here's an example of how I'm holding the light(the S18 is certainly larger than the X10 in the images, but it gives you an idea :)). Click either of the two images for full size:

And here are my OTF lumen results:

S18CR123PrimariesOTFLumenGraph.png

Here's the thermal graph of the lights temperature taken throughout the run time:

S18CR123PrimariesNormalUseThermalGraph.png

I've also tested the S18 in the holding position using AW 16340 IMR batteries. Here are those results:

S18AW16340IMROTFLumenNormalUseGraph.png

And the thermal graph to go with it:

S18AW16340IMRNormalUseThermalGraph.png

Now both lights together on one graph:

OTF lumens graph:

S18AW16340IMRvsS18CR123PrimariesOTFLumensNormalUseGraph.png

Thermal Graph:

S18AW16340IMRvsS18CR123PrimariesNormalUseThermalGraph.png

Just finished up testing with 6xAW IMR 16340's and using a freezer pack as the cooling method. Like I've stated in my other reviews of lights that have thermal regulation, the freezer pack method is done mostly to show how the thermal regulation works. Keep the light cool and output remains high and pretty flat, but run time suffers some due to higher drive levels to the emitter. I'm not sure that anyone actually lives in an environment where they could keep this light as cool as I did during my testing, so this method is purely for fun. Here are my results compared against the previous measurements:

S18IMRFreezerPackvsS18IMRNormalUsevsS18CR123PrimariesNormalUseOTFLumenGraph.png

Thermal graph:

S18IMRFreezerPackvsS18IMRNormalUsevsS18CR1223PrimariesNormalUseThermalGraph.png

I hope this information has been useful for you.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Great work! The pictures are fantastic. I especially liked the size and beamshot comparisons between the SR91 and the S18. I was impressed by how much brighter the S18 is as shown by the gif animation.

How did you measure the heat over time?

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Those beamshots against the garage door give me the hotspot-versus-spill balance in a real-world setting information I was looking for. A nice arc of light, versus the narrower spot of the X10 or SR51. But at the same time, only 6 minutes on 1200 lumens before hitting 900-800 lumens for the remainder of the run? That's also good to know.

Starts off hot, then it cools down in terms of output if not in heat. :D

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
When rotating the mode selector, is there enough resistance and/or tactile feedback at each stop to prevent one from overshooting high & landing in strobe town, or do you have to watch the icons to see where you are- no stops/snicks/detents etc. at each mode? At 1200 lumens I really wish the blinkers could be deactivated or locked out somehow.

Once you have installed the batteries and tightened the tailcap, press the metal button on the back until it clicks and the light will turn on. You can also press the button lightly for momentary-on. To change modes, simply rotate the back of the tailcap to align the engraved arrow with the icon of the mode you want.

DSC01772.jpg

THIS is an AWESOME review!

:kewlpics:

:goodjob:

lovecpf

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
pj yeah

The case looks great, & is a bonus anyway, but I'm curious as it's part of the purchase- you didn't happen to take any detailed pics of the backside, of the hinges did you?

Also, can you comment on how the carrier is secured in the tailcap? Screwed in there, one screw in the middle, or more? & is it kind of wobbly, or solid & feels like all one piece? That design is supposed to prevent rattling. Yours?

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work! The pictures are fantastic. I especially liked the size and beamshot comparisons between the SR91 and the S18. I was impressed by how much brighter the S18 is as shown by the gif animation.

How did you measure the heat over time?

:clap: Thank You Sir, May I have another . . .
GL

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. Temperature of the light is measured using an infrared thermometer. It works perfectly for this purpose. I simply take a temperature measurement at timed intervals.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Those beamshots against the garage door give me the hotspot-versus-spill balance in a real-world setting information I was looking for. A nice arc of light, versus the narrower spot of the X10 or SR51. But at the same time, only 6 minutes on 1200 lumens before hitting 900-800 lumens for the remainder of the run? That's also good to know.

Starts off hot, then it cools down in terms of output if not in heat. :D

I'm glad you found this data informative.

When rotating the mode selector, is there enough resistance and/or tactile feedback at each stop to prevent one from overshooting high & landing in strobe town, or do you have to watch the icons to see where you are- no stops/snicks/detents etc. at each mode? At 1200 lumens I really wish the blinkers could be deactivated or locked out somehow.

THIS is an AWESOME review!

:kewlpics: weekly

:goodjob:

lovecpf

Glad you like my review, thanks. I would say there is roughly a half inch of movement required from when you initially enter high mode and when you enter strobe. The rotator ring also has a firmness to it, and it's not likely that it will change accidentally. There are also noticeable, audible clicks when you change modes. It's loud enough to hear as long as there's not too much ambient noise.

I'll try to answer your other questions later this evening when I have the light back in front of me.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another really nice review. Thanks for taking the time to do it. The comparison beam shots and graphs really let everyone know what to expect from this light. Great review with great data. Thanks.

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
pj yeah

The case looks great, & is a bonus anyway, but I'm curious as it's part of the purchase- you didn't happen to take any detailed pics of the backside, of the hinges did you?

Also, can you comment on how the carrier is secured in the tailcap? Screwed in there, one screw in the middle, or more? & is it kind of wobbly, or solid & feels like all one piece? That design is supposed to prevent rattling. Yours?

I've got some more detailed pictures of the case, but I'm leaving in a minute and won't be home until later and I'll post the images up then.

The battery carrier is secured to the tail cap, but I'm not sure exactly how. There are no visible screws on the tail cap end, so I'm guessing it's either attached by the metal rods that hold the batteries in (threaded into the tail cap) or fastened by screws from the tail cap, into the carrier. It feels very sturdy to me. No wobble on my sample. There's no rattle that I can make out when using the provided 4sevens batteries (the one's that are paired together in series by wrapped clear plastic.

Nice GIFs and I always enjoy your graphs! :thumbsup:

Any chance for some distant beam shots?

Thanks! I'm glad you find my reviews interesting. As for long distance beam shots, I'm not really set up to do those anymore. I'll see what I can do, but I can't make any promises.

Another really nice review. Thanks for taking the time to do it. The comparison beam shots and graphs really let everyone know what to expect from this light. Great review with great data. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it :thumbsup:.

Claireandtim

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the updated pics... case looks good but I suspect that it's similar to the case that my Oracle HID handheld light came in. It looks good but the main top and bottom panels are fairly thin and ply-able.. you can push down on them with light to moderate pressure and the begin to sag away from where the connect to the side supports of the case. I hope that I'm proved to be wrong when my shows up!

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post #1 updated with long range beam shots. Please read my notes above the .gif's of the beam shots.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
ti-force said:
The rotator ring also has a firmness to it, and it's not likely that it will change accidentally. There are also noticeable, audible clicks when you change modes. It's loud enough to hear as long as there's not too much ambient noise.

Apart from the audible clicks, is there any tactile feedback at each mode's stop? i.e. do you also "feel" the clicks?

The battery carrier is secured to the tail cap, but I'm not sure exactly how. There are no visible screws on the tail cap end, so I'm guessing it's either attached by the metal rods that hold the batteries in (threaded into the tail cap) or fastened by screws from the tail cap, into the carrier. It feels very sturdy to me. No wobble on my sample. There's no rattle that I can make out when using the provided 4sevens batteries (the one's that are paired together in series by wrapped clear plastic.

<detailed case pics>

Great, thank you!

:twothumbs

recDNA

Flashaholic
Please excuse my ignorance about parallel/series flashlights. I know it is important when using rcr16340's in series that voltage be very closely matched so each pair of batteries.must be as identical as possible.

My question is whether it is equally important that another pair in parallel circuit be as equally matched? So if I had a pair of aw 16340 in one chamber both at 4.15 volts and another pair at 4.17 volts and the third pair at 4.18 volts I know my runtime will be limited to the first pair exhausted but do I risk overheating or venting because a the weak pair draws current from a stronger pair in parallel circuit?

Kingfisher

Enlightened
Great review and pics/beam shots - one of the reasons I love hanging out here.

Thanks