I need help deciding

Diehard

Newly Enlightened
Trying to decide between lights for three different applications.

A little history, I have never owned a good light. Just assorted Maglites, a Surefire G2, and a Husky with a 3w Cree(140 lumens)

So I need help!

1st application is a keychain pocet size light with a $35 price point. Looking at an IPT Eos a1 and a Eagletac PN20a

2nd is a midsized light I can keep in my briefcase, with a $40-$50 range. Maybe a Eagletac P100a2 or a Fenix tk20

3rd is a Full sized light for distance At a $100 price point. Leading contenders are the VB-16 R2b, a ThruNite Catapult V2 or Dereelight DBS V3 XM-L

The price points is for the lights only, I will get the batteries and chargers (if needed)next month

Any advice would be appreciated!

joe1512

Enlightened
The itp A1 is a fine light...but is over 2 years old and uses an old emitter. I have one. Olight just announced an i series (i1) which would replace the itp A1 with the XM-L emitter and still cost about 30 bucks. I now have a quark minix123 which was 40+ bucks as an upgrade to my A1, and it also uses the XM-L emitter with a few extra modes.

For your midsized light...you don't need it! An i1 or minix123 with a CR123 battery provides almost 200 lumens! Thats quite a bit of light and really is more than sufficient for on-the-go needs. Seriously...get the keychain one first, wait a few days THEN decide if you really need the midsize. You probably will decide against it. You CAN use a rechargable CR123, but I wouldnt do so unless you end up buying a light that uses an 18650. Otherwise just order CR123s in bulk online.

For the big one, others can better advise you. Ive heard good things about all 3 of those you mentioned, tho all are over 100 bucks. HOWEVER... I would recommend a TK41 which uses AA batteries to be honest. Batteries and chargers are expensive and not very useful outside of lighting. Sanyo Eneloop AA/AAA on the other hand can be used elsewhere, so the charger infestment is less money and more utility. I believe you can get a TK41 for 120 on amazon currently.

Latest posts