Shadow TC6 - new interesting light (pics heavy)

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
There was a thread in CPFMP (dealers section), where this light has been shown. As much as I like exotic and low production quantity light, I had to try it. Especially that it was below 50$ :naughty:. It's so nice, that I had to show it to wider audience :eek:

The light came packaged in bubblewrap (probably to save shipping costs), but some nice accesories were added (lanyard, o-rings, spare switch, spare glass). The reflector is light OP, pretty much similiar to Ultrafire C8 reflector (pictured below). The glass is clear (no visible coating). The spare one, too. It's clean, no dust, no fingerprints, etc. Reflector is nice and clean, too. LED is well centered.
The body has some brass insterts :)ooo:) to improve electrical contact (I suppose) on both sides. The clicky is reverse one (no momentary-on) with good feedback. Not too soft, not too firm. Body finish is superb, almost as good as on old Jetbeam lights (here I refer to M1X V2, which in my opinion is best Jetbeam light ever). Unfortunatelly, there was a ding on my head. The ding must occur before anodizing... because it's also very nice coated (see it on photos below).
The light engine is made of brass, and it has a thermal compound applied to the threads :eek: :thumbsup: . That's good.
All threads are good quality, not square, but smooth and nicely cut. There is a little lube on them (should put more). The body has also double orings. All in all, the machining and finish is outstanding for this price. If only the head wasn't dinged
The LED is warm. Almost incandescent warm (there are also cool white versions of this light). It's much warmer than my XR-E Q3 5A lights (5A tint in XR-E LEDs is about 4300K). The tint as a touch of pink hue (which is good for warm LEDs).

As for the driver. From two 18650 AW 2200mAh cells it draws:
-1.3A high
-0.65A medium
-0.05 low
Manufacturer says, it drives the XM-L LED at 2.5A. Sounds true.

It doesn't have memory. Always starts from HIGH. Unfortunatelly, it has visible PWM. Around 300Hz (similiar to my Jetbeam C-LE v1.2, which has 317Hz).
As for the beam, it's clean, without artifacts. This light is not a huge thrower, but not a wimp either. Something around 17K-20K lux/1m. Not as throwy as my Jetbeam M1X V2, but much better than Fenix TK45.
Is it good? Yes. But not perfect. If it had no PWM, proper 4C tint, no dinged head ...and maybe forward clicky with modes change by twisting the head (like Olight M3X, for example) I'd buy two pieces more :) Nevertheless, I like it, as it is now. Definitely a keeper.

OK... to the pics. Pretty, isn't it ? :cool:lovecpf:
mg2681.jpg

mg2683x.jpg

mg2684.jpg

mg2685z.jpg

mg2686h.jpg

mg2687.jpg

mg2690.jpg

mg2691y.jpg

mg2693.jpg

mg2694a.jpg

Size comparision to Jetbeam M1X:

mg2695d.jpg

mg2696u.jpg

mg2698q.jpg

mg2699.jpg

mg2700.jpg

mg2703k.jpg

Shadow TC6 reflector on the left, Ultrafire C8 reflector on the right.

mg2707.jpg

Beamshots, from left: Jetbeam M1X V2, Shadow TC6, Fenix TK45 (these beamshots were taken one meter from the wall, this is not enough to properly focus Jet M1X, so it appears not so well focused, in reality on larger distance, M1X has much brighter hot spot).

mg2710.jpg

mg2711.jpg

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is a nice looking light with a nice chunk of brass pill congrats but it's to bad about the PWM, I'm one of the type's really sensitive to it.

eloreno

Newly Enlightened
Did you get the light with 3 or 4 modes?
Any approximation of light levels between the modes?

Thanks in advance.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
It's 3-mode version: Hi-Med-Low (no blinky modes). Judging from current draw, I would estimate the levels at: 800lm, 400lm, 50lm (measured at the LED). The low is not super low, but all modes are spaced well for this size of light.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice write up! thanks!

its definitely interesting. especially considering the warm tint, and price tag.