Need help selecting a light for my Father-in-law's boat

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
My Father-in-law called me asking for help in finding a flashlight to keep on his boat. He originally wanted 'bright' and only one level. I explained the benefits of multiple levels – he agreed to 2. He won't do rechargeables, and the UI has to be really simple. I don't exactly know how much weight those little floats will keep up, so I am guessing the light can't be huge – don't want it sinking to the bottom if dropped overboard.

My initial thought was the Eagletac P10A2 & run it on lithium primary AA's – but I can't seem to find a Mark I (with only 2 levels) for sale anywhere. I don't own any Eagletacs, so I am unsure how easy the Low & flashing modes on the Mark II's are to access –I really want them to never be found = simple 2 mode bezel twist selection. Another difference I've noticed is that the Mark I has a smooth stainless steel bezel, but the Mark II has a crenelated strike bezel. The smooth bezel seems to make much more sense to me; I would hate for them to trip and have the flashlight rip a hole in their seats.

So, can I get a Mark I anywhere? If not, can the Mark II be used easily with only ever seeing 2 modes & can it be had with a smooth stainless steel bezel?

Any other thoughts on a simple UI 2 mode, small (size doesn't really matter as long as a small float will keep it from sinking), bright, primary only (AA, 123), smooth bezel, lanyard attachment light (for the float)?

Thanks for the help!
David

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only two modes makes it really hard. I don't need much light or throw on my boat so I keep a little qaurk AA mini (which I'm pretty sure I just lost). You could use a quark AA tactical and program in the two modes you think he will use most - he will never find the others. Even most of the AAA lights are 3 mode twistys. The DQG II is the only one I know of that has only two modes. If he will do 2AA lights, you could get a Dereelight Javelin with a single mode Dereelight Javelin drop-in from flashlightconnection.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
2xAA:
quark turbo AA, or quark AA-2 tactical are 2 mode programmable.
jetbeam BA20 has a high/low UI.
surefire E2L AA, i think its called, is also a high/low UI.

for Cr123, you actually have plenty of options.

Last edited:

DavidD

Newly Enlightened
Ahh, I forgot about the Quark tactical being only 2 modes (at a time). I'll also check out the Jetbeam BA20.

David

AaronG

Enlightened
Fenix has a few. The E21 or LD25 for 2 AA. The LD15 is a simple twisty 1 AA. I'm not sure what a floaty keychain can hold up but the LD15 should be no problem :thumbsup:

If you can squeeze on more mode in it would add a lot more options as well

Last edited:

Latest posts