Beamshots: Olight SR51

Chris201W

Enlightened
An Olight SR51 arrived in the mail yesterday along with some 18650 cells. I decided to take the light out tonight for a short hike in the woods behind my apartment building to try it out. I don't have much time to write out a lot of thoughts about the light, but I will say, this light is great for walking through the woods at night. I primarily used it on low with the diffuser. This put out a perfect amount of smooth, even flood in a nearly 180 degree beam. I was able to see 20-30 feet in front of me and still have the edge of the spill fall at my toes. This diffuser is one of the most useful accessories I've ever seen included with a flashlight.

Here are some beamshots I took. These were all taken at F2.6, 1 second exposure. The farthest trees that are clearly visible in the center of the hotspot in the first picture are approximately 100-120 ft. away. As I look at these on a larger screen, I think a slightly longer exposure would have more accurately represented how bright the light is in person. Nevertheless, these should give a sense of the kind of beam the SR51 is putting out. Please excuse any shots that aren't super sharp. I only had a thin branch to rest the camera on. ;)

First is a shot of the hotspot on High:
1secf26hihotspot1.jpg

Hotspot on Low:
1secf26lowhotspot2.jpg

Spillbeam on High:
1secf26hiflood1.jpg

Spillbeam on Low:
1secf26lowflood1.jpg

With diffuser on High:
1secf26hidiffuser1.jpg

With diffuser on Low:
1secf26lowdiffuser2.jpg

Enjoy!

EDIT: BTW, any critique of the beamshots is more than welcome. I'm new to taking beamshots, and I'm only working with a PowerShot A510. I'd appreciate any tips, other than "buy a DSLR" (which I have plans for at some point in the future). I have a good understanding of photography basics, but it's challenging working with a point-and-shoot, not an SLR.

Last edited:

iapyx

Enlightened
Very nice! and with beamshots!

In addition:

Olight SR51
900 Lumen CREE XM-L Led Flashlight

LED: CREE XM-L
Dimension: D63mm (2.48in) *L190mm(7.48in)
Battery: 6x CR123A or optional 2x 18650

Optional Battery Bracket: CR123A batteries are standard, but optional 18650 bracket working voltage: 4.5~8.4V

Brightness levels/Run time
High mode: 900 lumens /110 minute
Low mode: 250 lumens / 10 hours
Strobe: 10 HZ
Water proof:IPX-8
Reflector: Mini Orange peel reflector
Head: Stainless Steel Bezel
Material:Aluminum Alloy body
Anti-scratching type III hard anodization
Weight: 400g
Accessories: Includes one strap, one diffuser, one operator's manual, one O-ring
Color: Black