Step up from a Lenser P5..not a P7? Not a surefire!

ian_W

Newly Enlightened
Got a Lenser P5, and quite impressed, but I note it doesn't seem to be well regarded around here, so before getting a P7, I thought I'd seek a flash of inspiration here...(I suspected I might get blinded by several hundred lumen of flash:) )

I have an Exposure diablo

http://www.exposurelights.com/product/000056/diablo-mk.2/

I have the mk1, which is a mere 800 lumens, however I feel (and I know there are more expensive lights about) that at £150, it's a tad expensive to be using an every day torch. It's also annoyingly not fully ipx waterproof.

Hence the purchase of the p5, however that's a step too far down the other way.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

I would prefer to buy from amazon.co.uk as I have some vouchers, but anywhere uk online is fine.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I'm looking for around £50

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

____Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
____Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

Up to 5 inches is fine, smaller pocketable better.

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
____Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)
____HID (known for max output, but often at the expense of size)
____I don't know.

dont' mind, although I suspect you're not going to get a small 4" incandescent with 200 lumens :)

Manu

____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (for example a "host" or flashlight body from one manufacturer, and a "drop-in" emitter from another source). Under the right circumstances, this path can provide more options to the consumer to meet specific needs, and can often be easily upgradeable as technology improves.

Don't mind here either, not really considered the 2nd option!

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I DON'T want to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer )

Brother has a surefire, curses it due to the cost of the CR123's I would prefer rechargeable AAA/AA

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

____150+ yards (I want maximum throw possible)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

I would like a dim long option as well.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Caving, Survival).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

____I don't care.
____I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

Preferably 3, v low, long life, v high max lumens option 3 in between.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____I don't care.

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

I'm probably going to get another for my brother as a present, so suitable for police use would be good to replace his surefire.

aimxplode

Enlightened
For a throwy 150+ lumens using AA rechargables, I would recommend the following lights with Smooth reflectors:

-Eagletac P20A2 MK II (~$60-70)
-Fenix LD25 ($55)
-Quark AA2 Turbo ($75)

For a floody 150+ lumens light, I would recommend the following lights with an Orange Peel reflector:
-Jetbeam BA20 ($40)
-Quark AA2 Tactical ($59)
-Jetbeam PA40 (4x AA)($80)

All the lights above run on 2x AA, except the Jetbeam PA40.

Good luck, tell us what you decide on!

ian_W

Newly Enlightened
For a throwy 150+ lumens using AA rechargables, I would recommend the following lights with Smooth reflectors:

-Eagletac P20A2 MK II (~$60-70)
-Fenix LD25 ($55)
-Quark AA2 Turbo ($75)

For a floody 150+ lumens light, I would recommend the following lights with an Orange Peel reflector:
-Jetbeam BA20 ($40)
-Quark AA2 Tactical ($59)
-Jetbeam PA40 (4x AA)($80)

All the lights above run on 2x AA, except the Jetbeam PA40.

Good luck, tell us what you decide on!

FENIX PD30 Premium R2 (BLACK)

I can find that on amazon.co.uk, any way of telling which fenix are CR123, or run on "normal" batteries.

I think the CR123 is a UK thing, as they are so expensive over here.

EagleTac P20A2 Mark II - Eek £99 ($161.121 USD)

When searching for the last 3, this came up.

TerraLUX LightStar300 Cree LED Torch Flashlight 300 Lumens

Anyone know anything about it? Did a search for it, but nothign comes up in the forums.

Here's a direct link to it.

Erzengel

Enlightened
Fenix lights starting with a "P" are using Cr123s, Lights starting with an "L" use AA Batteries. in the T-series, there are lights with Cr123s, AAs and Ds.

ian_W

Newly Enlightened
Fenix lights starting with a "P" are using Cr123s, Lights starting with an "L" use AA Batteries. in the T-series, there are lights with Cr123s, AAs and Ds.

Thanks for that, due to the high cost/low availability of the Cr123 outside the USA I'm trying to steer clear of them, and torches using them.

abbotsmike

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that, due to the high cost/low availability of the Cr123 outside the USA I'm trying to steer clear of them, and torches using them.

You can source CR123's from 7dayshop for £1.18 per cell, with free shipping. It's not that quick (I'm waiting for my order that was placed late last saturday) but it's pretty cheap!

yliu

Enlightened
I recommend the Fenix LD series, I have a LD20 and it works flawless with very easy to use UI.

The JetBeam PA40 is also a very nice light. Although it's quite large for an EDC, but you can carry it with the included holster comfortably. It does not throw well, because it has a TON of spill but it will light up everything in front of you at a nice 100 yards.

I also have the JetBeam BA10, and the regulation isn't so nice as well as the build quality isn't as good as the Fenix LDxx. Also the lumen ratings on the BA10 is exaggerated compared to the Fenix LD20 (light-review.com's data confirms this).

yliu

Enlightened
I recommend the Fenix LD series, I have a LD20 and it works flawless with very easy to use UI.

The JetBeam PA40 is also a very nice light. Although it's quite large for an EDC, but you can carry it with the included holster comfortably. It does not throw well, because it has a TON of spill but it will light up everything in front of you at a nice 100 yards.

I also have the JetBeam BA10, and the regulation isn't so nice as well as the build quality isn't as good as the Fenix LDxx. Also the lumen ratings on the BA10 is exaggerated compared to the Fenix LD20 (light-review.com's data confirms this).

ian_W

Newly Enlightened
You can source CR123's from 7dayshop for £1.18 per cell, with free shipping. It's not that quick (I'm waiting for my order that was placed late last saturday) but it's pretty cheap!

Ah yes, I'm aware I can get them from t'internet, but if I'm camping in Cornwall, or Walking in Scotland, small local shop is not going to have them, so I'd rather stick with the more easily available formats :)

Deal4

Enlightened
As someone previously mentioned, I have heard some very good things about the Fenix LD25 that would fit very well for what you are looking for.
It can take a beating and very easy to operate!

Latest posts