Diffuser for Fenix TK41?

CyberCT

Enlightened
Has anyone with a Fenix TK41 found any other aftermarket diffusers or home made diffusers that work perfectly with the TK41? I really like the diffuser Fenix makes for the LD20 (both the flat one and the cone one) and with the LD20 on turbo, with the cone diffuser, it makes an OK lantern on a table. But it falls over easily as it isn't very tail stand friendly.

The TK41 with a diffuser like that would be awesome because it tail stands so well! Heck, even walking around at night with a diffuser on it, man the flood is incredible. I put wax paper over the top, which is useless as a home made table lantern, but can really light up a huge area when pointed. Quick fix, I know, and I want a more permanant solution.

Deal4

Enlightened
I'm looking for the same thing for my TK40. I will be watching to see what you find out.

mmace1

Enlightened
Seems no-one knows of one! I'd love one too for hiking with my slightly-afraid-of-dark girlfriend. The TK41 tends to project light a bit forward, more spill in some situations would be nice.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix don't make one, so unless you can find something that fits the head and can have some sandblasted glass fitted, you will not have much luck. If you do, please post details.

I wish they did make one. I find the TK41 unusable indoors unless ceiling bouncing but the TK45 is excellent for this. I have both as I wanted AA power and the throw and flood of both. If the TK41 had a diffuser it would be far more versatile.

I have a HID which includes a push on yellow filter. This is really good as it is rubber (so doesn't scratch the head) and has a glass insert. I really wish I could find a diffuser version of this for the TK41.

mmace1

Enlightened
Hm...for a ghetto two-piece diffuser - use a table saw and cut off the front-end of the case the TK41 comes in? Turning the light on/putting it in the case - this seems (but then I've never owned a diffuser for any light) - not a terrible diffuser. I lack access to a table saw as well as a TK41 case without cracks in the front, though.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Although not for my TK41, I was able to find something for my TK35, a quarter machine plastic globe end. It fits VERY tightly over the TK35, and will scratch the paint. But it does work. Makes a strange color pattern though.

mmace1

Enlightened
OP, a poster in another thread reminded me of this:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...haserburn-s-Diffusion-Film-DC-Fix-CPF-Service

CPF member Phaserburn sells diffuser film, which receives high reviews. I don't believe it's permanent but...neither does it allow easy switching like a diffuser cap would, of course. One would also have to either disassemble the TK41 head, or clean it very very well and place the film on the outside (offhand I think I'd opt for the latter).

Though I *really* wish there was a diffuser for the TK41, even at a fairly high price - it would negate buying another flashlight anyway.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really practical but I have discovered that a good old cheap piece of scotch tape actually diffuses light better than an expensive surefire diffuser. I would look to try and make something cheap and easy out of scotch tape.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't have a TK41 but I know that the plastic lid of a jar of Walgreens brand peanuts fit perfectly over the TK40. I used it for red strobe but if you want max output you could cut out the center and stretch diffusion film over the opening....plus you get to eat the peanuts!

Philonous

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a TK41 but I know that the plastic lid of a jar of Walgreens brand peanuts fit perfectly over the TK40. I used it for red strobe but if you want max output you could cut out the center and stretch diffusion film over the opening....plus you get to eat the peanuts!

That actually sounds like a really good solution! I'm seriously thinking about getting a TK41, and ever since I saw this thread I've a diffuser would be the ideal companion for such a throwey light - an excellent way to give a dedicated thrower a whole host of other useful applications.

mmace1

Enlightened
Not really practical but I have discovered that a good old cheap piece of scotch tape actually diffuses light better than an expensive surefire diffuser. I would look to try and make something cheap and easy out of scotch tape.

I took this advice and it actually worked very well...extremely so actually. Though I didn't make anything, I just taped over the top with a single layer.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took this advice and it actually worked very well...extremely so actually. Though I didn't make anything, I just taped over the top with a single layer.

I found out after spending $35 bucks or so on an expensive surefire beam diffuser that good old cheap scotch tape diffused the light better than the expensive surefire diffuser! Glad you took the advice.

pushy

Newly Enlightened
Try a lid from an aerosol can, lots of colours to choose from.
Picture%203.jpg

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I'm going to have to have my dad try that one. Thanks!

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with that type of diffuser is the light now projects in all direction including back into your eyes directly from the torch. This is no good as it partially blinds you. What I would want to achieve would be to still project ALL light forward but to diffuse it evenly (like a Zebralight full flood beam).

Sticky tape on the lens is no good either as the TK41 is primarily a thrower and if you want permanent flood, don't buy one. This means you need to be able to easily remove the diffuser as well.

I still haven't seen a good option. So far it means having to have a torch for throw and a torch for flood.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with that type of diffuser is the light now projects in all direction including back into your eyes directly from the torch. This is no good as it partially blinds you. What I would want to achieve would be to still project ALL light forward but to diffuse it evenly (like a Zebralight full flood beam).

Sticky tape on the lens is no good either as the TK41 is primarily a thrower and if you want permanent flood, don't buy one. This means you need to be able to easily remove the diffuser as well.

I still haven't seen a good option. So far it means having to have a torch for throw and a torch for flood.

Not to mention that something like that is going to reduce light output dramatically.

mmace1

Enlightened
A diffuser for the TK-41 is a great idea...

Insanely good idea...but anyway, the previous poster said search, so here is the result:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?254507-TK40-Case-and-Diffuser-quot-mod-quot-%28and-lens-protector%29

Basically some caps/kinda-sorta diffusers...decent ideas, but nothing too great...(my opinion at least).

At the moment, a TK41 and scotch tape have kept me from buying much else (even say a nice - Zebralight SC600) as well...scotch tape can equal the spill, and the 8 AA's can surpass the output/runtime, all without any 18650 investments on my part. TK41 is heavier but...I don't care at all. Not that heavy.

That said...I'd still love a great 3-second snap-on-snap-off option for the TK41...it's basically the size of an old 2D flashlight. Why *can't* it be a super-great throw/spill/everything light given current tech? Agh...