Flashlight for Son

Mark_J

Newly Enlightened
<lurk mode off>

You have a very nice place here. I've been learning quite a bit about flashlights in the past few weeks (and spending more than I should on them too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

My son, who is eight years old, is interested in a flashlight. He has seen my M2 and SF M6 and thinks they're very cool, but I managed to convince him that maybe he should start a little slower. Here are his wants. Could you recommend something?

Price: no more than $35
Brightness: based on what he's said, I'm guessing that it will need to be at least 30-40 lumens to satisfy him.
Size: something smaller than a 4-D cell Maglite (which should be just about everything!)
Bulb: no preference, LED, HID, whatever
Batteries: no preference (Dad pays for batteries)
"Toughness": moderate to light - he's not too hard on his things.

So, what say the experts? Thanks in advance for the help!

- Mark

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
A Surefire G2 would be a good light if you don't mind him burning through 123a batteries. Another good light that is cheap and easy to run is the Princeton Tec Tec 40. I estimate that it puts out at least 40 lumens, and it runs on 4AA batteries. The cost is around $10. A review can be found here.

RevDavid

Enlightened
Surefire G2 for sure! I am getting one for my six year old. I think the cost of running on 123 is acceptable, given the price online from the CPF vendors.

David <><

paulr

Flashaholic
Streamlight Polystinger, so if he leaves it on all day, just recharge it.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with the first two responees on the G2 being hard to beat. I'll also add the Pelican PM6 to the list though. This light is $30.00 with CPF discount and $6 shipping. So $1.00 over budget?

It is a very cool light and from what I read about it here- it has better Lamp pricing ($5.00) and LA longevity. It is also a very solid chunk of light (too heavy for a kid compared to the G2?). So either the PM6 or the G2 should get you there. Same batteries for both... The PM6 comes with sheath too. So that tips the scale a bit.

So plastic or aluminum?

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
umm.. he's 8..
i don't think you should get him any of the lithium battery lights mentioned so far..
they only put out light for an hour..

i'd look into some led lighting..

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you seen the Pelican models that use 4 or 6 c-cells?

GregR

paulr

Flashaholic
Actually, thinking back, my favorite light at that age was a white plastic 4-D cell lantern with a nice big reflector for very long throw (great to play with outside). I'd say look for something like that.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
My vote is for the Streamlight TT 2L.....you get two lights in one. LED's for general walk around, light the room stuff. Then you have the xenon for better throw and more light. According to Streamlight you get 28 hours with the LED's and 2.5 hours with the xenon. Also, if your xenon blows, you still have light from the LED's. Plus it has a life time warrantee. For $30.00 at BrightGuy it's a great deal. You can find the batteries cheaper online than in the stores too.

Check it out here.

Your 8 year old would love it!

Mike

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend one of the SL TT series as mentioned. I have the 1L and that sucker is nice and small, also tough as heck. I chucked it full force into a brick wall, bounced off the wall and skipped/hopped on the concrete floor a few times. Picked it up and turned it on. Inspected the finish, a few minor scratches on the head and thats it (Ti color.)

I recommend getting you're son a Streamlight Twin Task 2L as Yam stated (not as bright as Scorpion, G2, or PM6 form what I have read, only used a 1L and 3C before) but 2.5 hours incan. and 28 hours in LEd (as rated by SL.)

$30...add a CMG Infinity Ultra or Arc AAA (or both) to that too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens Illumilux,
Puts out 30 to 40 lumens with it's Luxeon 1.2 watt LED and uses 3 AA batteries. He can throw it around and it is not so small it will be harder to lose. My 10 year old's favorite light is the Elektrolumens Anglelux 2D voltage regulated Luxeon light. Camps out in the backyard all the time with it and it runs over 24 hours on a set of 2 D cells ($50 so a bit out of your range)

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Giving flashlights to your children is alot of fun, isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I agree with most of the recommendations.

I'd go with either the SF G2, Pelican M6, SL Twin-Task 2L or 3C. I've purchased the first three for $30 and under and the TT-3C for about $32.

The SF G2 would be an excellent choice because of all the options and accessories. LED bezel, spares carrier, lanyard, P61 HOLA, a GZ glass lensed bezel, etc. You could even get the recharging kit later.

BC

Dave Wright

Enlightened
The TwinTasks are a good gift. Versatile and tough. If you really don't mind lithiums and the cost/hassle of ordering Surefire 123s, the TT 1L and 2L are great choices. The former has pretty good pocketability and good power. The latter fits in a pocket, but not on an EDC basis, and has very good power.

I have both of the TT lithium versions and like them, though their position in life is glovebox residents. IMO big flashlights have little use for 95% of us. The appearance of small and powerful lights on the market has driven my C & D lights to the back of the drawer. These days all I use is Madmax/Badboy modded 2AA lights, an Arc LS, Arc AAA, and both CMG Infinity versions.

onelight

Enlightened
For thst price you could get a Princton tec attitude and a pt blast or pt 40 both nice lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

rumar

Newly Enlightened
D'Oh, my two yr old has my Surefire A2. He understands the usefulness of both types of lighting. I'd get your son the Streamlight TT 2L.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gave my 4 year old my Scorpion. It has a clickie switch that he can manipulate. I had rechargeable Pila batts, so I just put a Stinger bulb in the Scorpion and run it with a Pila batt. The Scorpion is a cheap and tough light with a rubber grip that makes it easy to hold on to. Of course the rechargeable batt drives up the cost, but if you already have some, this is the way to go. I got my Scorpion on B/S/T for $20 shipped. Keep an eye out.

Mark_J

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies! I will definitely check out the recommendations.

- Mark

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest you a PT Tec40. It compares, speaking of lumens, to the SF E2e with MN02 (low intensity, 25 lumens) lamp.

I wouldn't leave a 8 yr old with lithium batteries, since there are many safety issues with them, like if they get wet or shorted.

Anthony

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Another recommendation here for TT2L. I EDC one! My buddies 2.2YO little girl was rocking to my 2L! She dug my ARC AAA too... but it's too small for a kid that age!

Or WAY budget... PT Attitude, and PT40 for BRIGHT light!