Brightest AAA keychain light

daguy80

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for the brightest in terms of lumens wise keychain light that runs off of a single AAA nimh battery. Most of the lights that I have seen are all around the 70 lumen mark. Is there any available that is brighter up to 120 or more lumens. I don't really care about runtime too much as long as there is a low mode with it also to extend runtime when I want it to last longer. I am not really a fan of lithium ion cells so that would be out of the question.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Try checking my website, I have compared many AAA lights. I can not measure lumen, but do compare relative output with a ceiling bounce.
You can easily get above 70 lumen if you use a 10440 LiIon battery in a light that supports it, but with regular AAA NiMH batteries I do not believe it possible (At least for now).

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ, your web site is great. I read your reviews quite frequently.

As for the AAA light with the most output - I would have to guess it is the SS Fenix LD01 with the XPG R5. It has the most output of any of them that I own. The review that HKJ did also found it to have the most output on a non-lithium cell.

Last edited:

HKJ

Flashaholic
As for the AAA light with the most output - I would have to guess it is the SS Fenix LD20 with the XPG R5. It has the most output of any of them that I own. The review that HKJ did also found it to have the most output on a non-lithium cell.

You probably mean the LD01 :)

But my last comparison has one strange comparison, the ReVO!
I have included a S2 and a R4 and my measurement says they have the same output. The S2 is supposes to have more output, I supposed that I got a very good R4 or a bad S2 or maybe both.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably mean the LD01 :)

But my last comparison has one strange comparison, the ReVO!
I have included a S2 and a R4 and my measurement says they have the same output. The S2 is supposes to have more output, I supposed that I got a very good R4 or a bad S2 or maybe both.

haha. Your right. I went back and edited that so as not to confuse people. I did notice the S2 and R4 were exactly the same. That is a head scratcher. Perhaps a variation in the tint bins could negate the extra output? (the R4 may be very cool and the S2 could have more phosphor?)

HKJ

Flashaholic
I did notice the S2 and R4 were exactly the same. That is a head scratcher. Perhaps a variation in the tint bins could negate the extra output? (the R4 may be very cool and the S2 could have more phosphor?)

It has nothing to do with the tint (directly), the R4/S2 is independent of tint. But maybe my ceiling bounce has some dependency on tint? (It probably has, but I do not know how much).

stoli67

Enlightened
Illuminati AAA on 10440 is bright
LD01 also bright on same cells
LF2XT ... particularly if running an XPG mod.

I think I pretty much have all the AAA lights out there except a Peak...... what has really impressed me of late is the illuminati that I got from Battery junction....
So inexpensive compared to trying to find a LF2XT!

I got it here http://www.batteryjunction.com/ti-illuminati-ca1.html

And HKJ I love all the info that you supplied..... that is what lead me to buy a fair few of these small lights when originally I started with all CR123 lights!

Andrew

afdk

Newly Enlightened
:confused:Curious...what do these lights produce on the AAA primary lithium cell @ approx 1.65v? I have a Fenix LD01 stainless and use it with the AAA lithium primary cell, but don't know the lumen output on this cell. It seems pretty darn bright on high mode!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
:confused:Curious...what do these lights produce on the AAA primary lithium cell @ approx 1.65v? I have a Fenix LD01 stainless and use it with the AAA lithium primary cell, but don't know the lumen output on this cell. It seems pretty darn bright on high mode!

In a regulated light, the output should remain the same until the battery voltage(lithium ion) puts it into direct drive. That's what's supposed to happen. I think my quark mini AA and my L0D do appear a little brighter using L91s or L92s respectively. Probably, it's some sort of flashaholic psychosis. :p

afdk

Newly Enlightened
In a regulated light, the output should remain the same until the battery voltage(lithium ion) puts it into direct drive. That's what's supposed to happen. I think my quark mini AA and my L0D do appear a little brighter using L91s or L92s respectively. Probably, it's some sort of flashaholic psychosis. :p

DUPLICATE.....sorry!

afdk

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for you input!

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I pretty much have all the AAA lights out there except a Peak...... ....

FWIW, my Peak #8 SS Eiger and Fenix R5 SS LD01 output about the same amount of light total in an informal ceiling bounce test (by eye).

I power each with an Energizer Ultimate Lithium primary AAA battery.

DUMDUM

Enlightened
*Bob... :tsk: ... you know you are not allowed to be so blatant with your advertising on CPF. Peak has its own sub-forum... that is where your advertising should be. Thank you.*

Last edited by a moderator:

DBrier

Enlightened
The Preon is 70 OTF lumens and a very good single AAA light.

If you run it with a 10440 it will be much brighter, but I don't think it's recommended by 4 sevens.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just wish it allowed programming the mode sequence. I like to start in high