Hi ! 1st post and a question about an old surefire 3p

Shepherd

Newly Enlightened
I found this
001-16.jpg

002-13.jpg

old surefire 3p and I'd like to make it brighter, maybe an LED drop in ?
what do you guys suggest ?

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
I suggest keeping it as is, or selling to a collector. You can then buy a nice, bright LED Surefire.

scout24

Flashaholic
Nailbender makes some awesome P60 dropins that would work with either a 3V primary cell or an RCR123 in your light. Go to "Custom and Modified BST" and look for his P60 module sales thread. After a couple more posts, you can private message him to ask questions, or just ask in the sales thread. Welcome, and enjoy! :)

Shepherd

Newly Enlightened
ok! thanks for the suggestions:thumbsup:

what kind of lumens and runtimes will I get?

The suggestion to sell it and buy anotherwas made ? What's it worth? I have no box, but it has no scratches on it.

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an old Surefire host, which can be had for a dime a dozen if you aren't picky. To a collector, a 3P might be worth more. But after all, it's now an old host. And it's not Ti or anything.

I tried to make this point elsewhere. The coolest thing IMHO to do would be to get a P60 drop-in, change that cheap lexan window for a good crystal...and bring it back to the future.

Welcome to CPF.

obi

Last edited:

Shepherd

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, where do I buy this stuff? post a few links maybe ? I'm a noob:duh2:

I have an M6 I wouldn't mind putting an led in to increase battery life and output also

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Look around on the Marketplace (cpfmarketplace.com) for other 3Ps that have sold recently to get a sense of it's current value. If you choose to sell it, you can use the proceeds to buy something else. You should easily be able to get enough to buy a good quality 1xCR123 LED light.

LED towers for M6 Turboheads are exceedingly rare, and I don't think that there are any that would increase the output. Lumens Factory makes complete heads for the M-Series and there may be other options, but I'm not aware of them. This is another case where you might want to sell your light outright and buy something new.

LE6920

Newly Enlightened
It's an old Surefire host, which can be had for a dime a dozen if you aren't picky. To a collector, a 3P might be worth more. But after all, it's now an old host. And it's not Ti or anything.

I tried to make this point elsewhere. The coolest thing IMHO to do would be to get a P60 drop-in, change that cheap lexan window for a good crystal...and bring it back to the future.

Welcome to CPF.

obi

3Ps are a dime a dozen in Norway? :eek:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Look around on the Marketplace (cpfmarketplace.com) for other 3Ps that have sold recently to get a sense of it's current value. If you choose to sell it, you can use the proceeds to buy something else. You should easily be able to get enough to buy a good quality 1xCR123 LED light.

LED towers for M6 Turboheads are exceedingly rare, and I don't think that there are any that would increase the output. Lumens Factory makes complete heads for the M-Series and there may be other options, but I'm not aware of them. This is another case where you might want to sell your light outright and buy something new.

That 3P does indeed look like it might well be in collectible condition...and probably worth more if you happen to have original box, etc.

Doesn't Lighthound carry a drop-in Nailbender M6 LED tower?

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Lighthound has an M3 tower, which I think is made by kuku427, but it is only for the standard M3 and won't fit a Turbohead.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
Ah, cool. That isn't listed with the other M-Series Parts. That would definitely work with an M6 and should give a huge run-time boost (6 hours or more seems likely).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sold my 3P, because I never used it in original state - dim and the expensive batteries - but the idea to change the Light assembly is a good one.

for start try this here:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/unique...en-led-flashlight-black-2-16340-1-18650-33550
open and get the light assembly out - put it into the 3P.

Of course the building of these cheap lights is not perfect, but doing the same, I got a Led Assembly that is really awesone; also put it into another host.
I am not completely sure if it will run with a normal CR123, but You might use a rechargeable CR123a ... that makes constant use of the light cheaper.
On the long run I would consider switching to a 1*18650 Li-Ion cell light (like the one You get ...) ;) the size is not that much increased, but it houses over 4 times the energy...

runtime: very very rough calc - that depends on the individual light assembly:
CR123a 800 mAh cell with single-die L/A: 40 mins
18650 Li-Ion: 2 hours +

Last edited: