I'm in the market for a new flashlight suggestions welcome.

kl3vr

Newly Enlightened
Hello!

I'm in the market for a new flashlight ;) All my flashlights are sub $30 DX and a few maglites(xl50 is my edc at the moment) so this will be my first major upgrade :thumbsup:

I'm very impressed with the magnetic infinitely variable flashlights by jetbeam and sunwayman:

http://www.jetbeamusa.com/products/RRT%252d0.html

http://www.sunwayman.com/html/products/201106/56.html

It's what I've always wanted in a light!

But I feel they could do better :rolleyes:

Please, does anyone know of a flashlight meeting these features?

*XM-L or sst-50 with a high of 2.5-3A, thermally protected. Even if it can only run for 2 minutes at 2.5A, when you need those 600 lumens for shock and awe you have it.

*Magnetic selector ring controlling infinitely variable down to moonlight on 180deg of the ring, beacon low to high on 90deg and strobe low to high on the other 90deg.

*Tailcap tactical clicky to eliminate parasitic drain and for instant ON at whatever setting the ring is at.

* single cr123, 2xcr123 or 18650 form factor, pocket-able.

*IPX8

*Under $200 :broke: Customs and mods are welcome if there's a guarantee/warranty

Sweet I think that's all, it's in your hands now! I'm deciding next week so please leave me a note.

Thanks!
-kl3vr

Title edited for clarity - Norm
"Suggest Something" isn't going to get your thread much attention.

Last edited by a moderator:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are the only two with a magnetic selector ring that I know of. Small lights and high lumen don't necessarily go together well and you're not really going to get "shock and awe" with whatever you get in a pocket sized light and it's hard to get in any light (IMO). Increasing lumens just isn't that impressive or even noticeable in many cases.

You might want to look at some of the existing offerings by Zebralight as well as soon to be released models. Great interface just not a magnetic ring.

uknewbie

Banned
Yeah I agree if you drop the selector ring option, the Zebralight SC600 would be good.

Lots of levels, high for 5 mins, good quality and well under budget.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NiteCore IFE2 is an 18650 (or 2xCR123) based light that has a magnetic control ring. It currently uses an R5 emitter, so it goes from .003-270 lumens out the front, however, NiterCore has indicated that they are working an XM-L based version to be out before the end of the year.

The control ring operation is very smooth, and it does have a forward clicky, but it does not have a beacon mode..... only strobe and SOS, and the strobe isn't variable. I was willing to give up a higher output for the ability to pocket carry, which this light does extremely well with the included clip.

I will mention that the bezel does come off (with a bit of coaxing), so the thought has crossed my mind to see what an XM-L would do for it :naughty:.