Very Important Info for TK70 users using Tenergy Cenutra LSD 8000mAh NiMH batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enlightened
IMPORTANT WARNING INFO FOR TENERGY CENTURA LSD 8000mAh users :

Geez man, I like spent about 4-5 hours troubleshooting this problem, and it is so stressful as it is a brand new light. (not cheap too together with the batts etc)

I have some 2AA -> D adapters, Energizer alkalines and the Tenergy Centura LSD 8000mAH cells new from battery junction. AA NiMH and Tenergy Centura LSD cells are all fully charged. The Tenergys are absolutely brand new. Charging was done and fresh off the charger it was 1.47V, i even trickle charge them for 10hrs.

I have cleaned all the threads of the lubrication, the contact points for the tube are thin strips of aluminum. Not very confidence inspiring for 7-9A operation.

Long story short. Sometimes the light works and sometimes the light just flickers on for 0.01sec and shuts down with the Tenergy LSD Centura. I used my DMM 10A probes and did a tailcap measurement, it lit up ok. Tailcap on, it did not light up but just flickers on and then off 0.01seconds. It does not turn on even when memory mode is in LOW. My 2AA->D adapters and Alkalines work, even Alkalines work in turbo for 12 seconds alright. Hmmm....

So can it be a tailcap issue, can't be because the Alkalines work. Not enough pressure? Can't be, it is very tight, and i tried additional spacers with isopropanol cleaned 1, 2 and then 3 pcs of 20 cent coils, 2 and 3 pieces are EXTREMELY tight already. The height looks alright, just a wee bit lower than the Alkalines.

Long story short, it seems like the +ve contact nipple on the TK70 head is pretty small, and with maybe 30mm dia batts like the Tenergy it can move around a bit. So if it moves to the side and you apply pressure on the tailcap while screwing down, it may not make a good contact. It makes contact ok, but since it is electronic switch it just flickers and refuses to turn on.

It really took me like 4-5hrs to troubleshoot this, all sorts of things ran in my mind. Is the driver faulty? Is the Tenergy LSD faulty? Shall I buy LiFePO4 for higher voltage?

Solution is, just a simple knock on the head, and it turns ON ok. Turbo works ok for many minutes...everything... :crackup: Happy... :crazy: Initially it would turn down to High after like 10 seconds (as if it were operating on Alkalines). I was wondering if the NiMH are bad, or the driver regulation/voltage sensor is out of spec.

So I guess need some thick paper sleeves in the tube.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.