HDS Systems        

Thread: Is there a way to fix a faulty McClicky switch?

Arrow Is there a way to fix a faulty McClicky switch?

Hello all,

I've got a McTc tailcap w/ a McClicky switch inside that isn't reliable. There are times when I click on my light, and the light either flickers or it seems only half the power is going through.

Anyway, if I change the tailcap to a stock Surefire, the light works fine, so I'm pretty sure it's the switch that's buggin out.

I really like the look and feel of the McTc tailacap more than the stock Surefire ones (I've tried the stock E1B, Z68 & E2D tailcaps), which brings me to the question in the title:

Is there a way to fix a faulty McClicky switch? (Search didn't yield favorable results, by the way)

Or should I just toss it and purchase brand new one? What I'm afraid of, is if I go and buy a new switch, I may not resist and end up buying some other flashlight stuff too and then a trip to vendor to buy a $7 switch may turn into a shopping spree

Default Re: Is there a way to fix a faulty McClicky switch?

Just buy a new mcclicky and screw it in!

Lighthound has them in stock, I believe.

Grab some needlenose pliers and make sure the switch is tight inside the tailcap. There isn't a whole lot to go bad on these guys, they're pretty reliable. I bet it's something simple like that.

After tightening the switch with tweezers or needle nose pliers clean the threads carefully and spray electronic cleaner on the switch. Shake the flashlight to see if the batteries move back and forth. The spring might be a little too short. If that fails email the vendor who sold you the switch and it will be replaced. These switches don't give much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    Grab some needlenose pliers and make sure the switch is tight inside the tailcap. There isn't a whole lot to go bad on these guys, they're pretty reliable. I bet it's something simple like that.
    Thanks nbp, I tried this without any luck.

Quote Originally Posted by HotWire View Post
    After tightening the switch with tweezers or needle nose pliers clean the threads carefully and spray electronic cleaner on the switch. Shake the flashlight to see if the batteries move back and forth. The spring might be a little too short. If that fails email the vendor who sold you the switch and it will be replaced. These switches don't give much trouble.
    Hi Hotwire, I'll try spraying it with electronic cleaner. Regarding the spring being too short, would it be a bad idea to maybe pull on it and stretch it out a little? The battery doesn't move back and forth, but it does rattle a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim W View Post
    Just buy a new mcclicky and screw it in!

Lighthound has them in stock, I believe.
    Hi Tim W, if all else fails, I'll surely purchase a new one (if the vendor doesn't replace it, that is)

Thank you, gentlemen!