Floodiest 2(or more)xAA lights?

mmace1

Enlightened
I'd like to keep to the AA format (Eneloops for now), but would like a floody AAx<something> light. I currently have a 4sevens Quark mini 2xAA - which is amazingly good for travel, and also a Fenix TK41 - great for throw, but when on shorter night-hiking trips- the 4sevens Quark mini 2xAA almost seems better due to the floodier beam.

So - I'd like something floody for night-hiking basically. Especially for use with my ah, not-so-comfortable-in-the-dark girlfriend. The Jetbeam PA40 stands out thus far, anything else? Thanks.

Last edited:

RRflash

Newly Enlightened
I have an iTP A6 Polestar that I consider very floody. It has about a 90 degree flood with a bright hotspot.

j2k

Newly Enlightened
For 2*AA the Thrunite Neutron 2A is floody and very bright. Significantly brighter than mini AA^2 and also offers a very nice sub-lumen mode.
The beam has a defined hotspot when you shine the light at a wall, but in practice it just creates a wall of light. They are available in cool white or neutral.

Napalm

Enlightened
+1 for the Neutron.

In 2xAA category also the Eagletac P20A2 MkII with XM-L HO module.

In 4xAA category you're right the Jetbeam is your best bet.

nap.

uknewbie

Banned
The PA40 looks good to me, and is a floody beam by the looks of the video reviews.

That said, once you try a proper flood beam, i.e. one with no discernable hot spot, just nice even brightness over the entire circle of light, you will want it more and more.

Sure it can't throw as far, but it is way more useful for most things.

Can't think of any AA options like this though. Elektrolumens EDC-MCE and Firesword are two of my all-time favourite lights much for this reason, that wall of even flood is fantastic.

Anyone know how carbon fibre the PA40 feels or how plastic it feels? Looks more like plastic to me than CF.

nbp

Flashaholic
If you can break the AA rule, the Surefire L4 is the king of perfect floody goodness. It's often called a "wall of light".

A McGizmo Mule is complete and utter flood but I don't think it's quite what you're looking for.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite Neutrons are the most floody AA lights I've seen. My 2AA Neutron is the most floody light I've ever owned. There is nearly no hotspot at all.

mmace1

Enlightened
Thanks. I don't suppose anyone knows any resource where I could compare Thrunite Neutron & Jetbeap PA40 beamshots? Probably not, but worth a shot.

The Eagletac is out due to being more difficult to get cheap shipping to Korea. And no I'm not quite up for breaking out of AA, but thanks for the suggestions. I'd feel odd getting a Polestar A6 - though had previously been looking at it, thanks. It's just...eh...kind of an older light, and I already have a Fenix TK41, so it wouldn't be as much fun having a similarly sized light.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to keep to the AA format (Eneloops for now), but would like a floody AAx<something> light. I currently have a 4sevens Quark mini 2xAA - which is amazingly good for travel, and also a Fenix TK41 - great for throw, but when on shorter night-hiking trips- the 4sevens Quark mini 2xAA almost seems better due to the floodier beam.

So - I'd like something floody for night-hiking basically. Especially for use with my ah, not-so-comfortable-in-the-dark girlfriend. The Jetbeam PA40 stands out thus far, anything else? Thanks.

WHat if any complaints do you have with the Quark AA^2 as a 2xAA floody light? Just looking to upgrade output?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have one but I can tell you that the PA40 will be less floody than the Neutron for sure. They both have the same emitter but the PA40 has a larger head and the Neutron head is tiny. That means the PA40 will naturally have more throw than the Neutron. I owned many lights at this point and I can tell you with certainty that the neutron is the most floody light I've seen. Zebralights are considered floody lights and I will tell you that my zebralights all look like throwers compared to my Neutron 2AA. You really have to look hard to see any hotspot coming from the neutron.

mmace1

Enlightened
I don't have one but I can tell you that the PA40 will be less floody than the Neutron for sure. They both have the same emitter but the PA40 has a larger head and the Neutron head is tiny. That means the PA40 will naturally have more throw than the Neutron. I owned many lights at this point and I can tell you with certainty that the neutron is the most floody light I've seen. Zebralights are considered floody lights and I will tell you that my zebralights all look like throwers compared to my Neutron 2AA. You really have to look hard to see any hotspot coming from the neutron.

That's great info, thanks. Ah...they're similar prices. I don't mind the extra bulk at all...this is really just for short hikes. Yet...if the Thrunite is floodier...darn, makes things harder to decide on.

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
WHat if any complaints do you have with the Quark AA^2 as a 2xAA floody light? Just looking to upgrade output?

Yes, looking to upgrade output/runtime. That's all.

No complaints - the Quark mini (in case you'd missed that bit, unsure) AA^2 is...with a piece of magazine paper perpetually in it to remove all battery rattle...my favorite light of any I've ever owned. Though that's not saying much...I tend to research a terrible amount, but buy very few lights. I've personally used ah...only a total of 7 "CPF level" lights.

Anyway though - for hiking, when bigger/heavier is no problem - I'd love to have greater runtime/output than my 2xAA Quark mini provides. Since again - the extra weight/size matters not.

Last edited:

mmace1

Enlightened
Offhand, I wonder about is this very randomly-Google-found review:

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x444/OGreviews/Thrunite/Neutron%202A/thrunitel2dbeamcomp2.jpg?t=1303953951

In that photo, though the Neutron has a very diffused hotspot - but the spill area is actually less than a Fenix L2D (unsure why a less current light was used, but...anyway). For enclosed spaces - the Neutron would seem better, but for general-afraid-of-the-dark-hiking, the wider the spill area, the better! So the L2D would be better in that situation.

Agh...I really do wish some resource had both the PA40 and Neutron beamshots.

Last edited:

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good diffuser can turn a very throwy light into a floody light within a seconds time, just something to consider.

mmace1

Enlightened
A good diffuser can turn a very throwy light into a floody light within a seconds time, just something to consider.

Good point, I actually first looked for a diffuser for my TK41, but couldn't find anything.

Lighteous

Enlightened
I'm in agreement with all of the ThruNite Neutron comments. I don't have the 2AA model, instead I have the 1C. When I need a wall of light its the ThruNite that I reach for. They call 'em "Neutron Flood" for a reason. The only rap on that light that I've heard about is that the head is a little wobbly. That said, it is on my short list of lights to acquire.

Latest posts