looking for a xm-l pocket thrower

ZFlash

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking for a edc-able thrower with xm-l. My problem with the most actual xm-l flashlights is the pure flood character of the beam. My h51 is imo by far bright enough inside the house but fails in range. No problem for a headlamp.
So I don't feel attracted to lights with the high lumens only of the hard driven xm-l like the xeno e03, but put into shadow in the range by an old xr-e lamp.
I like the sl6 or sc600 for their technical approach (digital switches) but they have no throw either...

So I'm thinking about the new lumapower d-mini ex2.
Is there any similar lamp like it (suggestions please!)? Whats about overdischarge protection, in that size 16340 IMRs would make sense.

ZFlash

Newly Enlightened
I think the ex2 has the newer reflector designed for xm-l?!?? It's new so I'm waiting for more reviews / opinions, lets see how the runtime is on 16340er...

daguy80

Newly Enlightened
I would say the Dereelight dbs with nailbender xml dropin for one 18650 battery. It my be a little bigger but throw is about 25 k lux with a xml.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Incendio V3U XM-L with turbo head, I have one and it's very impressive.
cool! I just got an XM-L Incendio from IGear it's a cool white (a little cooler than my original Incendio, yes it's brighter)
where do you get your TURBOHEAD? illuminationgear? as if I need to spend more $$$ :)

Last edited:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is stretchin' "EDC" a bit (perhaps no more than some of these other mentioned lights) but I often pocket my 4Sevens X10 when I'm wearing shorts (bigger pockets than jeans.) 24,000 lux@1m bone stock and I think mine is pushing at least 28,000 lux now (direct driven to 5A+ instead of 3A.)

Just a thought. :cool:

LowFlux

Enlightened
Spark SL6 isn't much of a thrower; but it's 3 amp turbo mode is very impressive for sheer output, and it's small enough to carry in pocket. Jake at Sbflashlights carries them. But as amaretto said, you'll need a large reflector for a true XML thrower.

ZFlash

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for the suggestions!
I'm still reading into the facts and beamshots about the lamps ;-)
Surprisingly good looking quality by the Ultrafire. Didn't expected that, imo that brand didn't had the best reputation in this board. Isn't the Dereelight available in stock with xm-l? Nailbender is mentioned 2 times in the thread!
What I like about the lumapowers is their short length (espec. the Incendio) caused by 16340 and the ability to lego it up to 18650s. I'm not convinced about their driver, perfect for primaries but no overdischarge protection for Imr's which I'd prefer...

ZFlash

Newly Enlightened
small, throw, xm-l.
Pick 2 of the above.
:thumbsup:...yeah, knew the task won't be easy:whistle:

Maybe I should add the 4th requirement: Overdischarge Protection:devil:

Imo both the lp's (incendio w. turbohead & d-mini ex2) do fit all 3 requirements (with the lack of the protection). I like the 4sevens but unfortunately the turbox's driver needs to be feeded with 2 cells, which I don't like for security reasons...
For pure throw I have a RQ-clone (Q5 xr-e) so I'm looking out for something smaller:eek:oo:

I've got the strong feeling there's no light like that, I'll have to cut down my expectations:poof:

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 4sevens but unfortunately the turbox's driver needs to be feeded with 2 cells, which I don't like for security reasons...

No it doesn't. The voltage range for the Turbo X is 3v - 9v which means a singel Li-ion works perfectly. It's best on a single 17670 Li-ion (the same size as two CR123's,) or one 14500 (on a AA body,) or one RCR123 (on the 123 body,) or one 18650 (on the discontinued 18650 body.)

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered an IncenDio V3U LE XM-L T5 plus the turbohead. That's the limited edition XM-L version in neutral that is currently available at IlluminationGear. I'm hoping it might have some fair throw with the turbohead. It should still be really small when used with a 16340 cell. It's rated at 525L (I think this is OTF since It's driven to 2.1A) (550 for the CW version.)

It's only 77mm (3") long with the standard head....that's pretty small for 525L! :cool:

Last edited:

Rikr

Newly Enlightened
tsask
Sorry I didnt get back to you, but I got it at illuminationgear. The throw is crazy.