Lets see your mod 3D Mag's!

redswr

Newly Enlightened
hey folks i'm looking to upgrade my 3D Maglite and have seen quite a few options but i wanna know whats best/cheapest/most waste of money while upgrading?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've built a few 3D Mags using the 2.8A three-mode driver behind an XM-L. It puts out a measured 600+ lumens on NiMH cells or somewhere around 525 lumens on alkalines. Total cost for parts is about $16 for the electronics and whatever it costs for the heatsink. I don't know what the heatsinks cost because I make my own out of aluminum and copper (aluminum sleeve with a copper core). You then just need to assemble it. I charge somewhere around $75 to build one using your light as a host.

An alternative, if you can get one, is the Malkoff 2-3D drop-in. I don't know what they sell for, but, they're very highly rated. They sell out almost as soon as they become available on Malkoff's website and you never see them for sale on the CPFMP (at least I don't).

redswr

Newly Enlightened
i think i'm gonna just go ahead with the Malkoff... sucks that the 2D is different than the 3-6D ones cause i just have a 2 and 3 cell light. i can't find the spacers to use different batteries like the 18650's or cr123's i have no real idea what the actual size of those are either...lol

The_Police

Enlightened

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
the one circled is a 3d mag with 88mm extention, (total lenght is a bit longer than 4d, gray 4d with FM 2,5in throwmaster is next to it) running on 4x 32650 cells, 3xp7 DW kit, 6 mode driver, pbly around 1500-1800lm on high, glotoob flashcap on the other end, cost- around $300

P1060724-1.jpg

jankj

Enlightened
My 3D mag was first updated with a drop-in kit from Kaidoman. A big chunk of aluminium with some electronics and a LED in it. It worked quite well, but with a horrible tint. Off to Teknocowboy for a high CRI upgrade. Turns out he also had to fix some of the electronic that was rattled loose (or something like that).

Not too bright nor too throwy, but a good general purpose light with super looooong runtime that is plenty bright and throwy enough for most real life duties. Throw roughly equivalent to a 3 year old jetbeam MIII. And I absolutely love the tint :)

redswr

Newly Enlightened
If you want to do a little modding, you can get the 6 CREE led drop-in from deal extreme. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/6-cree...drop-in-led-module-52-7mm-42mm-8-4v-max-65153 I put it in my 2D mag, along with two, 3AA to D cell adapters from Kaidomain.

It's not hard at all to do, and its a cheaper mod for the brightness. Here is the 2D I modded. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316881-1200-Lumen-2D-Mag-build Enjoy! :)
with that drop in you didn't have any problems running 9 volts? it says 8.4 max...

The_Police

Enlightened
The rechargeable AA batteries I use generally only put out about 7-8Volts. I was wondering about the same thing, and I used my multimeter on them before I ran them in the light. If the batteries were all truly 1.5V a piece and there was not enough resistance to cause much voltage drop, You could always just solder a wire from two terminals on the adapter, to make it only use 5 batteries and run at 7.5V.

Last edited: