Aurora SH-40 SST-50 dimming issues

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
So I picked up a cheapie sst-50 for the bedstand to reside next to the XD45.

When I got it, it worked great, amazing, in fact, on part with my Catapult v2 SST-50 for beam quality and throw.

But recently, when I went to turn it on, it came on in strobe bright as normal, then dimmed right down to 10% of output. It still cycles through the high-med-low-sos-strobe, but it will not put out that column of light like it used to. Sometimes on a fresh charge, it will strobe bright for a couple flashes, but then, sadly, back to dim mode.

I tried a couple Trustfire and Ultrafire batteries, as it seems almost like a power issue, but they all did the same thing, protected and unprotected. Do you think I need an AW or something to drive this?

Has anyone had this issue?

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
I hate bumping my own threads. I really do need some advice on if a different battery would help this flashlight work right.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like a contact issue. Try cleaning all of the contact points to the battery, and clean and relubed the threads. Also make sure the tailcap is clean and tight.

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the tip. I took a good look at the contacts. The negative side of the battery hits a post supported by a spring behind a plastic plate. I assume it grounds to the end cap and current to runs down through the tube.

Looking down the tube, I can see a spring that makes contact with the positive terminal of the battery, and the tube is solder connected to the copper ring around the center spring. I have several types of batteries, some with protected nipples on the end, some unprotected with almost a concave dimpled button, and they all work the same.

The contacts look pretty good, but I scuffed them a little and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Should I pull the tailcap apart to look at the button mechanism a little more?

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the switching of modes done through the tailcap?
Try using a paper clip to see if the switch is bad. Touch one end to the negative side of the battery, and the other end to the threads where the tailcap screws on.

Wildlands

Newly Enlightened
Thanks man, you lead me down the right road. It worked fine with just a wire from the negative to the threads on the tube.

I pulled the tail cap switch apart, and found that the plastic disc holding the button was obscuring the issue. The tail cap switch had unscrewed and come loose. I tightened it, then put the contact button part back in place, and screwed it in, and now it is working like a champ.

I wish there was a way to give rep on this forum like LPF. I appreciate the help.