Rayovac DIYBEAM-B Indestructible Beam Lantern

DanM

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone tried out this DIYBEAM LED light from Rayovac? A local store has them for $21.00. Rayovac has
several types of these so called indestructible lights listed on there web site.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have seen a few of the new Rayovac indestructable lights at the local Farm & Fleet, including a 2AA, 3AAA, head lamp, and lantern and wondered how well they worked.

I checked their web site and youtube.com videos. They were, bold, trendy, and useless. :confused:

The packaging on the 3AAA light implied that there was no separate battery carrier.
Waiting to read some CPF reviews.

joeparker54

Newly Enlightened
I just saw these on Home Depot's website. The prices aren't bad at all - $15 for the 2AA, $18 for the 3AAA, $22 for the lantern, $9.99 for the 35lm headlamp, and $25 for the 3C. I'm going to stop and pick up a 2AA on the way to/from work tomorrow - I'll be sure and give my thoughts.

[edit] I just stopped and picked up a 2AA on the way home from work. Initial thoughts are as follows:

Pros: Looks tough and feels hefty, thick walls in battery tube, has a decent forward clicky, a decent low mode (18lm), nice even coating, xpe led w/ approx. 1" deep reflector, nice bright white beam (at least 100lm), passes the basic "suck and blow" waterproof test, can tailstand, anti-roll bezel, tailcap lockout, plastic lens

Cons: Plastic lens, plastic/polymer tailcap, head is threadlocked

i pealed the rubber on the head back a little bit - the lens is actually a solid cup-shaped piece of plastic that is threaded over the head and holds the reflector in place. i can see that it is very thoroughly glued and should be water-tight.

overall, i feel that it is well worth the $15 i paid, and the 3C would be worth the 25. Besides, at this price i have no qualms testing just how indestructible this thing is.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up one of the 4C lanterns last week at Bomgaars (regional hardware) for $21. So far, I really like it. I got it because I really wanted a long-throw light, and the fact that it had some really nice long runtimes (20 hrs on hight and 78 on low) helped the decision process. It really does reach out and touch with a solid beam. Wall washing there is a small very bright center spot with spill around that is virtually artifact free. Am trying to find out if it is regulated or not, but at the price, I can live if it's not.

Edit: Well it's a year later and I finally had to replace the batteries. I believe it is regulated, since one of the cells died totally, yet the light was almost as bright as when all four were still good. It's been dropped a few times but still keeps going, so looks like a pretty good purchase.

Last edited:

berksglh

Newly Enlightened
Were getting these lanterns in stock for resale where I work about May 2nd? Will be able to pick one up at cost :thumbsup: and tear it down to see what's in it.

This would be a cool host for my 2nd SST90 mod? Assuming you could squeeze in 4 of my spare Moly cells, heat sink, and a driver..? Maybe just the 4 standard c cells otherwise... Even stock it may be a decent light? I'll try to post some pictures of the guts when I get it.