No AA lights from any of the big 3 ???

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of what I call the big 3 American flashlight manufacturers make a single AA light. Surefire, Malkoff, HDS. This is very frustrating.

Just thinking out loud here.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire have one model, E2LAA which runs on 2 AA much like the E1L I suppose.

HDS have produced AA bodies and I believe that they are in the process of making more for the Acme threads of todays line up.

Malkoff produce 2 AA twisty bodies for the VME heads.

So we have a trend here all of them have adopted the 2 AA format, Im assuming they dont go down the route of single cell is the is because of the reliabilty of lithium chemistry and flat out capacity in a smaller form factor, I dont know im just speculating...

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the E2L-AA and an MD3 running off of 2 AA. If HDS does make a single AA body for their lights that would be fantastic. What I would really love to see is a scaled down Malkoff in AA format or a Surefire E1L style light.

The problem is that I just don't get that "warm and fuzzy" about the Chinese lights. None of the ones I've seen either have the quality I want or they're loaded down with disco modes.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a malkoff m31w in a "little twisty" body that malkoff sells on his site. It is the smallest 2AA light I've ever seen and I don't have to mention malkoff beam quality. The only downside is the lack of w high/low ring for it.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good call brasso. More AA U.S. made lights... an AA titan, AA solitaire, AA rotary!

I have a malkoff m31w in a "little twisty" body that malkoff sells on his site. It is the smallest 2AA light I've ever seen and I don't have to mention malkoff beam quality. The only downside is the lack of w high/low ring for it.

Well single mode would be okay for me, & that body does look amazing, but I just wonder if there's anything smaller than the vme heads that can house malkoff modules for the 2xAA little twisty. Does anyone know? EIther way they're still shorter than a mini mag. Now the quark mini, that is a small 2xAA in every respect (5.0" x 0.7")!

wa57pf.jpg

r2u91d.jpg

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?296160-4Sevens-Q-MiNi-AA2-Comparison-Review

Oh yeah don't forget about PEAK. Not among brasso's big three, but apparently lot's of quality AA's there, if you can manage to find what you're looking for amidst their chaos of models & options that is! I'm still lost.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
None of what I call the big 3 American flashlight manufacturers make a single AA light. Surefire, Malkoff, HDS. This is very frustrating.

The lights the "big 3" make sell for well over $100 each. Could they sell enough high priced 1AA lights to make it worth their while?

Did you consider a Peak LED flashlight?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
...Oh yeah don't forget about PEAK. Not among brasso's big three, but apparently lot's of quality AA's there, if you can manage to find what you're looking for amidst their chaos of models & options that is! I'm still lost.

x2, USA Made + AA = PEAK

Its been this way for as long as I can remember. For whatever reason the USA manufacturers do not care to make a 1AA light.:confused:

Last edited:

tam17

Enlightened
No 1AA light from Maglite, either.

(I probably wouldn't like to own one, having in mind their recent trend of incorporating accelerometers and disco modes into small flashlights) :(

Cheers,

Tam

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
sorry brasso!

x2, USA Made + AA = PEAK

Its been this way for as long as I can remember. For whatever reason the USA manufacturers do not care to make a 1AA light.:confused:

A quick OT if you don't mind, but I have to ask Kramer while he's here: to what extent do you consider peak AA's to be geared for rechargeables specifically- to the point that I'm going to be underpowering them with a primary lithium AA & getting poro tints because of it, & should stick to (other brands) in that case? I have been talking to Bob at RMSK about it, but he just wasn't certain if his Peak AA's would be okay on energizer lithiums or not. Any thoughts?

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah don't forget about PEAK. Not among brasso's big three, but apparently lot's of quality AA's there, if you can manage to find what you're looking for amidst their chaos of models & options that is! I'm still lost.

I've never purchased a Peak either because I can't make heads or tails out of their web site or the RMSK web site (two of the worst I've ever seen) and I can't differentiate between any of the three thousand models. I think they would sell a lot more if they simplified their offerings, fixed their crappy web sites, answered their phone, and explained their models better. I'm sure I'm missing out on great lights but I get so frustrated every time I try to wade through the terrible descriptions and confusing web sites.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really would like:

*A Malkoff body for 1AA (the same knurled design as the MD2 body but slightly narrower) suitable to VME head

*a dropin optimized for 1,2-1,5V

:popcorn:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
been talking to Bob at RMSK about it, but he just wasn't certain if his Peak AA's would be okay on energizer lithiums or not. Any thoughts?

I power the Peak #8 SS El Capitan using an Energizer Ultimate lithium primary. That's my battery of choice for AA and AAA lights. No problems. (You would want a lower output or QTC El Capitan because you require longer runtime.)

I've tried NiMH batteries without a problem, too, though the slightly higher voltage of Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells sometimes produces more light output.

The Shadow

Newly Enlightened
I've never purchased a Peak either because I can't make heads or tails out of their web site or the RMSK web site (two of the worst I've ever seen) and I can't differentiate between any of the three thousand models. I think they would sell a lot more if they simplified their offerings, fixed their crappy web sites, answered their phone, and explained their models better. I'm sure I'm missing out on great lights but I get so frustrated every time I try to wade through the terrible descriptions and confusing web sites.

:clap: Well said.

I've been around here for 5 years, and I've heard nothing but good comments about Peak lights. But I can't get past their website either. Others have said to just call them and they'll get you what you want, but honestly, why should I have to? I like shopping on the websites, comparing specs, reading reviews - it's part of the fun of buying it. I don't want to get on the phone with a salesman to buy a light.

I also try to buy American whenever I can, and I appreciate that their lights are made in the USA. I think if they put some effort into marketing they could sell a lot more. As for me, I broke down and ordered a Fenix E11.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I power the Peak #8 SS El Capitan using an Energizer Ultimate lithium primary. That's my battery of choice for AA and AAA lights. No problems. (You would want a lower output or QTC El Capitan because you require longer runtime.)

I've tried NiMH batteries without a problem, too, though the slightly higher voltage of Energizer Ultimate Lithium cells sometimes produces more light output.
Hi parnass!

Yeah #8 a little too bright, but in aluminum I think his inventory skipped #6 & jumped to #4. & I'm not going back over there to ask archimedes to compute output & runtime for me yet again... he said each step was a factor of two, so hopefully that means you just cut 37 lumens for #6 in half. Either way since you're confident about energizer l91's, no sick tints from being underpowered, I just sent RMSk another email. Shipping to my zip, & double checking #6's- I think it's going to be brass only in my power level of choice or Al in #4- but probably an even more impressive runtime (& is on SPECIAL_!

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
:clap: Well said.

I've been around here for 5 years, and I've heard nothing but good comments about Peak lights. But I can't get past their website either. Others have said to just call them and they'll get you what you want, but honestly, why should I have to? I like shopping on the websites, comparing specs, reading reviews - it's part of the fun of buying it. I don't want to get on the phone with a salesman to buy a light.

I also try to buy American whenever I can, and I appreciate that their lights are made in the USA. I think if they put some effort into marketing they could sell a lot more. As for me, I broke down and ordered a Fenix E11.

Ha you sound exactly like me. I prefer familiar specs I can compare, & a straightforward shopping experience- I am lost with peaks, but just throwing a dart with help from cpf'ers & hoping I get one that works for me (look for it on ebay probably if I get it wrong)!

jonesy

Enlightened
Don't waste your time looking at Peak's site, it's outdated. Their main vendor now is http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Peak.html. I think overready sells them as well. Over in the Peak forum Curt has admitted that Bob at em-mgt is the best place to buy their lights from now. IDK. I wish their shipping was cheaper, though.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
They do usually make high quality lights. And I highly recommend the Eiger line and the El Capitan if you like twisty's. Having said that, the last one I bought, a Pyranees, also had a square beam. I tried to focus it and knocked the led dome off. Sent it back. That's been over a year now. Not even a "we can't warranty it" response.